• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG and a tad rough for the mileage but a great deal IMO

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
      SMG and a tad rough for the mileage but a great deal IMO

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9Wg...4-bmw-m3-coupe
      $17k for 51k mileage S54?! That's a steal even if its SMG, my goodness prices have come down
      - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

Eh. That car is pretty damn scruffy for 51k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
          Eh. That car is pretty damn scruffy for 51k miles.
          No major Scruffiness from what I could see. What a bargain still!

Comment

Did y'all even look at the ad? That car needs like $10k in parts alone to look remotely like a 50k mile car. Tires are 10yrs old, every wheel has damage, basically all the exterior trim is ruined, active oil leaks, front bumper needs repainting, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
              Did y'all even look at the ad? That car needs like $10k in parts alone to look remotely like a 50k mile car. Tires are 10yrs old, every wheel has damage, basically all the exterior trim is ruined, active oil leaks, front bumper needs repainting, etc.
              It looks like a car with 50k miles that was driven and nothing done to it. $17000 is still a good deal evn tho I don’t like SMG…
              2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
              2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
              2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
              2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

I think it's a good deal for a DIYer who has "free" labor. The reality is anyone who is looking for a low mileage car isn't gonna touch that bc of the condition and potential issues so the mileage is a little irrelevant.

Comment

Falling knives anyone?

Bid for the chance to own a 2001 BMW M3 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #136,573.

maw

Comment

Ummm kind of a bad example. Don't care if it's LSB when it has an accident, 7 owners, 191k, grey interior, and not uber maintained/refreshed.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Just when you thought grey interior couldn't get any worse
                      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                        Just when you thought grey interior couldn't get any worse
                        I wonder if grey interiors were more popular back in the day because more people smoked cigarettes.
                        /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                          Ummm kind of a bad example. Don't care if it's LSB when it has an accident, 7 owners, 191k, grey interior, and not uber maintained/refreshed.
                          My thoughts exactly… And yet it still managed to increase in value... I guess "inflation"

maw
                          Last edited by maw1124; 02-16-2024, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I think we need a PSA thread on the main page about value, the u.s. dollar and inflation.

A low mileage example before Covid for $35k would now have to sell for like $60k to still be worth the same. But I know it's easy to get stuck on the actual number rather than the value that that number represents. The market going up and down is also, of course, a major factor.

Everyone but those whose assets out paced their debt/interest and inflation just got a whole lot poorer in the last few years, but they don't seem to be too aware because their car didn't drop in "paper value."

We think of depreciation as the potential sale price going down, but if the value of the dollar goes down, the potential sale price could remain the same yet it isn't worth what it used to be which is tantamount to depreciation.

To all those I've argued with over the years about cars not being good investments, congratulations, your car is worth the most it ever has in terms of numerical dollars, but those dollars are now worthless. And you lost money through maintenance, insurance, gas, etc.

If the assest doesn't outpace inflation, taxes, "ownership" costs etc, you're going backwards.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Hence, "falling knives"... you're just not as lazy as me TBoneM3... bigger number, less value, one more owner passing, etc.

maw

Comment

Money isn't even real anymore. If you think the E46 M3 market is crazy, try buying a house.
                                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                                X