The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

If the assest doesn't outpace inflation, taxes, "ownership" costs etc, you're going backwards.
    Don’t forget the opportunity cost of money tied up in a car vs owning an actual investment. The $25k I spent on my car a decade ago would be worth like $80k if I’d bought a simple index fund instead.

People should spend money they’re willing to burn on a car, and then enjoy it never worrying again about its value.

Comment

Yep. I think we can all be very glad that we have a hobby that doesn't lose much money, but it is still a hobby, and you have to be ok (and should be ok!) with "losing" money either in the value of the car/parts or lost opportunity as you say.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
        Money isn't even real anymore. If you think the E46 M3 market is crazy, try buying a house.
        I'm trying right now! I've had to adjust how I look at a $1.

Really really sad that I'm trying to buy a 1.5M house and they're basically the same as what I grew up in 30 years ago for $250k.

Oh and money hasn't been real for a while
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
          SMG and a tad rough for the mileage but a great deal IMO

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9Wg...4-bmw-m3-coupe
          Great starting point for a track car.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Don’t forget the opportunity cost of money tied up in a car vs owning an actual investment.

it goes the other way sometimes too, ~15 years ago it was somewhat possible to do an OE CSL build if you had the cash, but nowadays if you want to do the same, well, you're not. you're gonna be doing a build with almost all replica parts, which isn't really the same

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

it goes the other way sometimes too, ~15 years ago it was somewhat possible to do an OE CSL build if you had the cash, but nowadays if you want to do the same, well, you're not. you're gonna be doing a build with almost all replica parts, which isn't really the same
              Haven’t followed OE CSL parts prices but I suspect my point will stand there too. A regular index fund has returned >6x in 15 years. The $20k or whatever for a CSL build then would be worth over $120k now. I suspect you can easily do it for that if you can find the parts.

As for me … I’m building a replica anyway and happy to admit it, so give me high quality Karb and Mile End parts for my car any day

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                Money isn't even real anymore. If you think the E46 M3 market is crazy, try buying a house.
                Don't remind me. I've been waiting for a correction since Since. I stacked up from '09-'11 so I'm doing great on all that stuff (including this car)... but now I want more real estate and because money isn't real these numbers are CRAZY crazy.

maw

Comment

Really really sad that I'm trying to buy a 1.5M house and they're basically the same as what I grew up in 30 years ago for $250k.

In a ten year span from 2012-2022 every house I looked at was double in price in that span. In the three years from 2020-2023 every house I looked at was 1.5x more which means every house you look at today was 33% cheaper three years ago so that 1.5m today was 1m in 2020.

Let that sink in.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

I suspect you can easily do it for that if you can find the parts.

That was my point, some parts are NLA and will most likely never be again so yea, for someone whose bided their time investing in the markets instead of indulging themselves in the moment, you will have to ask yourself, are you ok with replica parts and scouring the internet just to get a simulation of something that you let slip by years ago? That's a poor proposition if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

In a ten year span from 2012-2022 every house I looked at was double in price in that span. In the three years from 2020-2023 every house I looked at was 1.5x more which means every house you look at today was 33% cheaper three years ago so that 1.5m today was 1m in 2020.

Let that sink in.
                      AND the interest will cost you more. AND so will the insurance. You’re basically burning half the money in my opinion, because you’re buying at the market artificial top from 0% money, but you’re paying with 7% money and there’s only one way for the market value to go. I’m completely straight on that. Pack the money in a shoe box and mail it away, why don’t you. Kids are long gone (they deserve a yard and all that fun stuff) so I have no incentive. I’ll wait.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

AND the interest will cost you more. AND so will the insurance. You’re basically burning half the money in my opinion, because you’re buying at the market artificial top from 0% money, but you’re paying with 7% money and there’s only one way for the market value to go. I’m completely straight on that. Pack the money in a shoe box and mail it away, why don’t you. Kids are long gone (they deserve a yard and all that fun stuff) so I have no incentive. I’ll wait.

maw
                        For me personally, there is such a shortage of housing here in San Diego County that not buying is a huge mistake. There's no way for the prices here to go anywhere but up because of the extremely limited supply of houses for sale. Once the interest rates go down, prices will continue to go up because the demand will increase drastically and the supply will become even more strained.

For some markets the prices aren't artificially inflated, they're just here to stay and will only rise. In some cases, not getting in now will cost you hundreds of thousands over the next few years, just as it has over the last 5 years.
                        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

That was my point, some parts are NLA and will most likely never be again so yea, for someone whose bided their time investing in the markets instead of indulging themselves in the moment, you will have to ask yourself, are you ok with replica parts and scouring the internet just to get a simulation of something that you let slip by years ago? That's a poor proposition if you ask me.

It's a simulation either way, so *shrug*. In any case we're hacking up regular M3s to make it into something else. Give me the replica parts which are better quality than OE half the time anyway. It does suck that cool parts like the lightweight back seats are unobtainium, but you can always just import a real CSL in 2028 with your sweet sweet investment returns.

Comment

no kidding...I made the mistake of buying a new primary home a year ago so the kid can have a big backyard, before I sold our pre kids townhome primary and guess how many homes I still have today ...interest rates suck for anyone looking at a first home in the $500+, what would cost you 2.5 a month 18 months ago is almost double today, tough to find a buyer, so now I'm a landlord

Definitely doesn't not make me feel better that the e36 m3 is worth a few grand more than I paid for it 7 years ago, play money

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

For me personally, there is such a shortage of housing here in San Diego County that not buying is a huge mistake. There's no way for the prices here to go anywhere but up because of the extremely limited supply of houses for sale. Once the interest rates go down, prices will continue to go up because the demand will increase drastically and the supply will become even more strained.

For some markets the prices aren't artificially inflated, they're just here to stay and will only rise. In some cases, not getting in now will cost you hundreds of thousands over the next few years, just as it has over the last 5 years.
                              prices are crazy...just watched the house across the street in Cardiff sell for over well over $1k ft, with no updates on a sub 5k sq ft lot, total funny money

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Who says there's a housing shortage? Is that realtor talk? There have been so much developments everywhere including all the land between oc and san diego I'm sure that's just realtor talk. Those imbeciles will say anything to sell a house fear mongering the masses into jumping on homes out of their price range. Interest rates are up? Great time to buy. Housing prices up? Great time to buy. Deflation is bad, you don't want that, buy now. Get the fuck outta here. I'm never heard a realtor say any time is a bad time. Look at all the people who have moved and are in the process of moving out of the state. A big truck is $1200/yr to register here, same truck plus a trailer, other cars/toys is the same price for all of them in Arizona...for five years.

While the interest rates make the payment higher, the housing prices make the housing prices higher. If you can't afford the price of a house the interest rate is irrelevant. How many people can afford a $160k down payment to avoid pmi? A couple with decent jobs bringing in a combined $10k a month are taking a risk paying a $5k mortgage on an $800k 1400 sq ft shitbox. This is not a sustainable model because most people aren't even making this much and I feel bad for them but I do see some hope with what I believe to be a correction in the pipeline. The people who are fear-buying because they have fomo are simply perpetuating this paradigm and allowing this to continue. Nobody gets raped like Californians.
                                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                                X