The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
    It turns out the 111k LSB car sold to the second bidder at a lower price. This, along with the 66k IB (marked as sold) where the buyer backed out and probably a few other cars, gives an idea of how bad the data is on BaT's site.
    someone is cooking the market.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Almost seems like shill bidding going on though I don't follow these things. Nobody in their right mind is paying 112 for a 29k mile lsb.
      I don't follow them either, but when I saw that BaT kept the IB marked as sold even though it did not sell, I thought I would follow up on another listing.

The second highest bidder for the LSB bid 80k and the third highest bidder bid 78k. The car most likely sold for around 78k and the BaT fees were covered by the highest bidder. But because BaT is not correcting their listings post auction, everyone thinks it sold for 112k. That's a good 30% off the mark.

Comment

Great sleuth​ing being done in this forum! Fun video. Would not take much effort for BaT to correct the sales price in cases like this one. I guess they'd counter new buyer might not want price made publlic.
        Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, Bluebus, Lightwerkz retrofit. MRegistry listing here

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post

Looks like this guy was the 2nd bidder who won the car. It popped up in my recommended feed on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/si3inmSJ_Xc?si=kSNVWsqlxXnDMnS4
          It's funny to watch this video cause the ultra special, one of a kind, impossible spec car just looks like... an M3? lol

I guess I really do not understand these collectors
          Last edited by heinzboehmer; 07-02-2024, 11:16 AM.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

It's funny to watch this video cause the ultra special, one of a kind, impossible spec car just looks like... an M3? lol

Slicktop, 6-speed, and LSB. Don't try to rationalize any of these things. Collectors are a special breed, followers yes but they're certainly not drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Hey look a douchebag in Miami spending money on something stupid how weird
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I used to eat, sleep, and breath e46 m3’s - but have been out the game for a couple years now. It’s wild to see what prices have reached for these things. Been wanting to try out an f80, but now I want to come back home lol. Hopefully my 996T sells soon!
                996TT
                Turbo E36 M3
                FZJ80

Comment

Originally posted by Deen HK View Post
                  I used to eat, sleep, and breath e46 m3’s - but have been out the game for a couple years now. It’s wild to see what prices have reached for these things. Been wanting to try out an f80, but now I want to come back home lol. Hopefully my 996T sells soon!
                  If you’ve even been considering another E46 M3 then the F80 will be a disappointment.

Comment

Meanwhile, deals and steals are being had...

Bid for the chance to own a 2004 BMW M3 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #153,201.

What would it have brought with a Cinnamon or Imola interior? $40k including fees?

In the US, that is...

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                      Meanwhile, deals and steals are being had...

Bid for the chance to own a 2004 BMW M3 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #153,201.

What would it have brought with a Cinnamon or Imola interior? $40k including fees?

In the US, that is...

maw
                      Agreed - that seems like a great deal.. probably in part due to car being in Canada, despite US market origin. It probably would have fetched another 5-10K if it were in the states.

Either way, it's becoming more and more clear that the market is going through a serious adjustment based on the sale prices we've been seeing. Continued increase in cost of living is making unnecessary purchases either impossible or difficult to justify for most people. I've been selling left over E46 parts online (Kijiji - Canadian version of Craigslist) for the last few years and there is a SIGNIFICANT slow down in demand and interest, even with some very nice and unique parts which would have sold like hot cakes a few years back). Time will tell just how far this will go...

Comment

The E46M market, sure. The air cooled Porsche market, pre-Merger AMG market, Benz 500E markets, not so much.

For this market, 88Thousand examples was always going to keep the roof on, as well as Black and Grey interiors, has been my rather consistent view. Irrational exuberance has gotten rational but it's still exuberant. Over half of MSRP for these cars 20+ years on seems pretty strong to me.

People are still buying them "just because I've always wanted one" which doesn't seem like a cost of living concern to me.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                          The E46M market, sure. The air cooled Porsche market, pre-Merger AMG market, Benz 500E markets, not so much.

For this market, 88Thousand examples was always going to keep the roof on, as well as Black and Grey interiors, has been my rather consistent view. Irrational exuberance has gotten rational but it's still exuberant. Over half of MSRP for these cars 20+ years on seems pretty strong to me.

People are still buying them "just because I've always wanted one" which doesn't seem like a cost of living concern to me.

maw
                          I respectfully disagree - no brand is immune to the current market conditions. Some are more impacted than others but none are unaffected. This is from Hagerty but pretty much every expert in the field is stating the same and these are not opinions, they are facts based on sales and prices....

After a brief reprieve, the Hagerty Market Rating slipped again. Inflation continues to have outsize impact on the collector car market.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post

Looks like this guy was the 2nd bidder who won the car. It popped up in my recommended feed on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/si3inmSJ_Xc?si=kSNVWsqlxXnDMnS4
                            From what I’ve seen, he drives his 997.2 GT3RS a decent amount and “shares” the car with others. There are vids of him letting kids sit in it and rev it. So yeah kinda a dumb purchase IMO, but I do think (hope) the M3 went to a decent person who will actually drive and share it.
                            Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                            Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post

I respectfully disagree - no brand is immune to the current market conditions. Some are more impacted than others but none are unaffected. This is from Hagerty but pretty much every expert in the field is stating the same and these are not opinions, they are facts based on sales and prices....

https://www.hagerty.com/media/market...-slow-retreat/
                              Macro v Micro, but I hear you.

As a gross generality from a high level, yes, car markets are down. I'm more interested in certain cars than gross market conditions.

Clearly there are now deals to be had whereas a year or 2 ago there were none. I consider this normal ebb and flow of economic cycles.

maw

EDIT... beyond the headline, this from Haggerty article ... "The Market Rating has dropped 19 of the 22 months since its 78.22 peak in the summer of 2022, to its lowest value in three years. That said, its current value of 65.41 is still higher than any point in the four years leading up to the Market Rating’s most recent surge.​" ... says more or less "irrationally exuberant markets have become rational, but they are still pretty exuberant."
                              Last edited by maw1124; 07-04-2024, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post

Agreed - that seems like a great deal.. probably in part due to car being in Canada, despite US market origin. It probably would have fetched another 5-10K if it were in the states.

Either way, it's becoming more and more clear that the market is going through a serious adjustment based on the sale prices we've been seeing. Continued increase in cost of living is making unnecessary purchases either impossible or difficult to justify for most people. I've been selling left over E46 parts online (Kijiji - Canadian version of Craigslist) for the last few years and there is a SIGNIFICANT slow down in demand and interest, even with some very nice and unique parts which would have sold like hot cakes a few years back). Time will tell just how far this will go...
                                Even gt3 prices are finally coming down and my beverly hills porsche salesman stated he was sad about this six months ago, now worse and continuing which is great.

People are ignoring the white elephant in the room or perhaps just willfully ignorant.
                                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                                X