No announcement yet.

Side Finisher Rubber Replacement and Rear Side Window Trim Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one post made me join this forum, got a 330ci last year and have been watching the price of of the trim piece clime over the years. Going to order a set of these and just paint my trim black. Luckily the lower trim pieces are not so expensive.

Comment

someone should post a link to this on E46fanatics I guess? forgot my login info
      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Alright so got the left side off, what's the easiest way to pull off the old rubber?

EDIT* nvm, I used my big boy strength and pulled it off.
        Last edited by E46 M3; 07-18-2023, 01:42 AM.

Comment

okay I had no issues with the bracket/rivet? I used a little dish soap to lube it and it slipped right in? Took 10 seconds tops?

Comment

Originally posted by E46 M3 View Post
            okay I had no issues with the bracket/rivet? I used a little dish soap to lube it and it slipped right in? Took 10 seconds tops?
            Thanks for the tip on the lube. I was about to drill out the rivet and re-rivet the bracket - already got the Harbor Freight rivet gun as mentioned by others in this thread.

Lubing it up is essential. It's futile to try without it (that's why I got the rivet gun and was about to go down that route). I used some 303 and it took some tugging and pulling, but after a minute or two it was in.

For those who haven't tried it, it's fairly simple.

To remove the old rubber: pull from the B-pillar end and it'll release through the riveted bracket like you're unsheathing a sword.

To install: spray down the channel and the rubber trim, then feed it from the Hoffmeister kink towards the bracket. It took some forceful tugging and pushing, and some re-spraying with 303 (soapy water prob works better). I used a dry towel to help with getting a grip on the rubber trim. You'll see the part of the trim that is molded for the riveted bracket, ensure the corner of the bracket is fit into the corner of the trim, that the holes line up with the bracket, and also the end terminal of the trim is fit to the corner of the metal trim.

Wipe down the inside surface of the metal trim so the adhesive strip can do it's job properly.

Then starting from the kink-end of the trim, you'll want to pull / stretch toward the B-pillar to align the holes on the rubber with the screw holes in the trim... then remove the adhesive backing and press and hold. Work one section at a time to align the screw holes.

Done in a few minutes. Now I need to get the foam piece mentioned by PSUeng ( 51717037260) to replace my old and torn ones.

Edit: you might want to protect the finish of the metal trim piece with some painters tape.
            Edit 2: plastic razor / scraper is helpful to remove the left over old adhesive from the metal trim.
            Last edited by Will; 07-19-2023, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post

Thanks for the tip on the lube. I was about to drill out the rivet and re-rivet the bracket - already got the Harbor Freight rivet gun as mentioned by others in this thread.

Lubing it up is essential. It's futile to try without it (that's why I got the rivet gun and was about to go down that route). I used some 303 and it took some tugging and pulling, but after a minute or two it was in.

For those who haven't tried it, it's fairly simple.

To remove the old rubber: pull from the B-pillar end and it'll release through the riveted bracket like you're unsheathing a sword.

To install: spray down the channel and the rubber trim, then feed it from the Hoffmeister kink towards the bracket. It took some forceful tugging and pushing, and some re-spraying with 303 (soapy water prob works better). I used a dry towel to help with getting a grip on the rubber trim. You'll see the part of the trim that is molded for the riveted bracket, ensure the corner of the bracket is fit into the corner of the trim, that the holes line up with the bracket, and also the end terminal of the trim is fit to the corner of the metal trim.

Wipe down the inside surface of the metal trim so the adhesive strip can do it's job properly.

Then starting from the kink-end of the trim, you'll want to pull / stretch toward the B-pillar to align the holes on the rubber with the screw holes in the trim... then remove the adhesive backing and press and hold. Work one section at a time to align the screw holes.

Done in a few minutes. Now I need to get the foam piece mentioned by PSUeng ( 51717037260) to replace my old and torn ones.

Edit: you might want to protect the finish of the metal trim piece with some painters tape.
              Edit 2: plastic razor / scraper is helpful to remove the left over old adhesive from the metal trim.
              Excellent!! I'll try the lube method when I do the other side! Sometimes I just don't think of everything and doing the rivet thing really was a lot of extra time and jacking around, apparently unnecessarily.

And yes, need to tape up/protect the finisher; I used some rags, but the cardboard I had down still scuffed up the trim requiring a polish afterward. I have half a sense to tear the side apart I already did and re-do it this way and see if my fitment can be better; of course, I have put all new adhesive on the rubber.

Can you post a photo after you have this installed, of the new rubber piece at the Kink where it meets the glass and body?

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

Excellent!! I'll try the lube method when I do the other side! Sometimes I just don't think of everything and doing the rivet thing really was a lot of extra time and jacking around, apparently unnecessarily.

And yes, need to tape up/protect the finisher; I used some rags, but the cardboard I had down still scuffed up the trim requiring a polish afterward. I have half a sense to tear the side apart I already did and re-do it this way and see if my fitment can be better; of course, I have put all new adhesive on the rubber.

Can you post a photo after you have this installed, of the new rubber piece at the Kink where it meets the glass and body?
                Sure, I'll post some photos when I finally complete it. I just ordered those foam pieces (51717037260) and the dealer said it's coming from Germany, so 10 days to 4 weeks. Parts guy said it's coming VOR (vehicle off road) so that might speed it up a bit.

Maybe others who's completed this can update with some photos of their results, too.

Comment

Sure, I'll post some photos when I finally complete it. I just ordered those foam pieces (51717037260) and the dealer said it's coming from Germany, so 10 days to 4 weeks. Parts guy said it's coming VOR (vehicle off road) so that might speed it up a bit.

Maybe others who's completed this can update with some photos of their results, too.
                  I ask because I want to compare to my results, posted previously. I may need to tear back into this--ugh.

Comment

Where does is foam piece go? I havent torn into mine yet so Im just wondering if it IS needed by all or an optional piece.

Comment

Originally posted by d33p View Post

Where does is foam piece go? I havent torn into mine yet so Im just wondering if it IS needed by all or an optional piece.
                      It's optional. Goes between the metal trim and the body of the car. It should be fine to reuse. I'm replacing it because mine's a bit torn and bc of my OCD.

Edit: number 16 in realoem diagram shows you location.
                      Edit 2: optional as in if your original foam gasket material is okay to reuse then you can reuse it.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Will; 07-21-2023, 05:33 PM.

Comment

It's optional. Goes between the metal trim and the body of the car. It should be fine to reuse. I'm replacing it because mine's a bit torn and bc of my OCD.

Thanks man, appreciate it

Comment

The foam protects the paint on the car from the metal bracket and rivet. My foam was shot after I removed the bracket so I replaced it.

Comment

Since there was some possible confusion about the foam gasket (51-71-7-037-260), here's some more info.

Dimensions: 2.5-3mm thick, 0.5" wide, 15.5-16" long (one measured 15.5" and the other measured 16").

Attached are some photos showing the foam (keeps the metal trim from touching your paint). This foam seems to be very similar to the rubber foam weather stripping used to seal windows and doors they sell at Home Depot, just different dimensions (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...047977#overlay)

And if you don't stretch the rubber trim, not only will your screw holes not line up, but you'll be about 1" short.

Comment

Good result. I’d advise against trying to slide the seal past the riveted bracket. The bracket has sharp edges and could cut into the rubber

Comment

Got one side in. I'm not happy with the seal of the window. It seems to still have a couple small gaps where i can see light through. Any advice on getting the window to pull in tighter?

Comment

Working...
                                X