Side Finisher Rubber Replacement and Rear Side Window Trim Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdamore44 View Post
    Got one side in. I'm not happy with the seal of the window. It seems to still have a couple small gaps where i can see light through. Any advice on getting the window to pull in tighter?
    readjust the window where it screws in.
    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
      Good result. I’d advise against trying to slide the seal past the riveted bracket. The bracket has sharp edges and could cut into the rubber
      That looks good and similar to my result EXCEPT on mine, I ended with too much gap between the aluminum trim and the body. My passenger side is much tighter to the body and I'm sure the driver side (side I've done) originally fit much better. I repositioned the trim twice upon install--I can't for the life of me determine why I have this excessive gap. I may tear this all back apart and try again. Did you drill out the rivet, install the rubber, then re-attach the bracket? That is what I did, in that order. The rubber piece fits perfectly into the aluminum trim--add in this bracket drama, and I"m wondering if the rubber is not quite in the proper position in this area and it's pushing against the body causing this gap. Ugh...

These little details kill me. Here is what I'm referring to on my car:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858 copy.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	226258

Comment

Well I broke my little plastic piece that attaches to the window so I get to wait a week before I can finish. Meanwhile the car gets to sit in the garage. ugh. what a pain. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	600
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	226260

Comment

Hello, the group buy is still available? I am in for 1 set to europe too

Comment

Originally posted by Jokerz View Post
            Hello, the group buy is still available? I am in for 1 set to europe too
            Instructions are in a previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

That looks good and similar to my result EXCEPT on mine, I ended with too much gap between the aluminum trim and the body. My passenger side is much tighter to the body and I'm sure the driver side (side I've done) originally fit much better. I repositioned the trim twice upon install--I can't for the life of me determine why I have this excessive gap. I may tear this all back apart and try again. Did you drill out the rivet, install the rubber, then re-attach the bracket? That is what I did, in that order. The rubber piece fits perfectly into the aluminum trim--add in this bracket drama, and I"m wondering if the rubber is not quite in the proper position in this area and it's pushing against the body causing this gap. Ugh...

These little details kill me. Here is what I'm referring to on my car:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858 copy.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	226258
              That main metal trim piece clearance doesn’t have anything to do with the rubber. Did you try loosening the rear mounting screws and applying some pressure while tightening? It could also be the position of the horizontal trim being different side to side.

Comment

Well I broke my little plastic piece that attaches to the window so I get to wait a week before I can finish. Meanwhile the car gets to sit in the garage. ugh. what a pain. Click image for larger version

do you mind sharing where you purchased this plastic button from?

Comment

Originally posted by M3Bri54 View Post

do you mind sharing where you purchased this plastic button from?
                  You Bet. P/N: 51377020619 . I ordered it from FCPEURO

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Instructions are in a previous post.
                    Thank you, made the order today and shipped already , waiting for the package now and when it arrives will be back with install progress
                    Attached Files

Comment

I want to thank the forum for finding these side finishers. The ratty original pieces have been bugging me ever since I picked up my car. I was just about to do the 3M/weather strip fix when I saw these come up. Install is fairly easy with some good lubricant.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by gheorghe; 07-25-2023, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gheorghe View Post
                        I want to thank the forum for finding these side finishers. The ratty original pieces have been bugging me ever since I picked up my car. I was just about to do the 3M/weather strip fix when I saw these come up. Install is fairly easy with some good lubricant.
                        Didn't pop out the rivet and reinstall?

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post

Didn't pop out the rivet and reinstall?
                          I did not touch the rivet.
                          I used Original Bike Spirits Cleaner and Polish spray to soak the seal and the finisher piece and just fed the seal from the bottom of the trim piece, similar to what Will did.
                          It takes a bit of effort to push the rubber seal under the riveted bracket but once it is started, it feeds easily. The lubricant is key. The first one took maybe 5-10 min of messing around and the second was less than 2 minutes to install.

Attached Files

Comment

IMO you're LUCKY if you don't break at least one side…

These look good, though the motivation to do this all over again is lacking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post

IMO you're LUCKY if you don't break at least one side…

These look good, though the motivation to do this all over again is lacking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                              Haha, maybe I should have just ordered two. I was too frustrated to start the other side. Hopefully I can avoid breaking that one too.

Comment

Got my trim, looks good, the install went pretty well, thanks for the instructions on the last two pages.

I actually bought the generic rubber weather stripping a few years ago and have been putting this off. Glad I held off now and was able to get the proper rubber trim piece. And the installation process wasn't so bad at all.

Where does the rubber o ring go in that assembly, between the glass and the cone piece? Or between the glass and the metal washer? Both of my o rings are missing and the rear windows rattle when opened. I must have lost them when I did my horizontal trim pieces a while back.

Also, I didn't notice any foam attached to the trim piece, it may have disintegrated from old age, now I need to go back in and double check.
                                Last edited by Amos; 07-27-2023, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X