No announcement yet.

Side Finisher Rubber Replacement and Rear Side Window Trim Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up buying the 3M one from ebay. decided that if this project is going to take half of the day, it would be worth spending $30 more for this stupid weatherstripping and hopefully it will last me a decade.
    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Need to do this badly, appreciate the diy

Comment

Finally tackled this. I wasn’t paying more attention to the original seal but how is the seal supposed to be positioned? On or beside the triangle window seal? Right now I have it over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	76EBA12A-368F-41B1-B29B-7FA026DC2E79.jpeg
Views:	2300
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	35254

Click image for larger version

Name:	DD141F06-1085-476D-9273-111A729598A5.jpeg
Views:	2172
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	35255

Comment

Where my finger is approx. where your 3M should stop and meet up with the rubber seal around the door/B Pillar. If you notice that piece has a slightly elongated part that the quarter glass shuts on. That "piece" should more or less meet up with your new quarter rubber.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	image_10797.jpg Views:	3 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	35267

Also here is a better shot, if you look closely you can hopefully see the 3M touching the factory B pillar rubber "tab". If I remember correctly there MAY have been a slight gap between the two, but this works.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200617_000221.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	35266
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Cubieman; 06-16-2020, 09:05 PM.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Cool, that helps! Thanks again!

Comment

Have anyone tried these other type of weather strip and see if it fits better?? They seem like a closer shape to what was originally on the window trim to me?? No?

T shape
              1x Sealing Strip. EPDM has excellent properties of heat resistance, aging resistance, corrosion resistance, acid and alkali resistance, weather resistance, strong tensile strength, good elasticity. Raw materials are using native rubber, non-toxic, harmless, no special harmful odors.

Z shape
              (2) waterproof, dustproof and soundproof. 4M Z Type Door Edge Rubber Seal Strip Hollow Car Auto Weatherstrip Trim Protector. Item included: 1 x 4M Z-type Seal Strip. 2) Paste sealing strip with the matching double faced adhesive tape of the product.

Comment

Doesn't look like anyone had a hard time with it but if someone does have a hard time at the " bent" angle or " curved part", try using a wire hanger for the bend. Mine kept wrinkling up at that part so I did that and it worked.

Comment

[
                  the aerosol 3M adhesive remover for the sills. It was the only thing that got the adhesive clean and it still took a while.
                  Last edited by Icecream; 07-10-2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The 3M stuff is a must for this job if doing the lower sills. I can't imagine the time it would take to only use a heat gun not to mention more potential for inadvertent damage.

Instagram

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1459.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	51988

can someone tell me what kind of vinyl tubing you used and where u got it from? i used various hoses and a vinly tubing and i still can't get rid of the kinking like you guys did. this is the best i was able to get it to look. I am using the 3M one and after a couple attempts it is starting to develop some wrinkling to it that wont come out

Attached Files
                      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I got mine from a Ace/True Value store, don't know if those are national or regional. I got a few different sizes, I can't remember which I finally used. I want to say it was a size that looked slightly smaller in diameter than your average 3/8" OD clear tubing.
                        The most important thing when ramming the tubing into 3M is to grease it up really well with some silcone lubricant, that helps tremendously.

EDIT: Just looked out in the garge, it looks like I used some 7/16" OD tubing.
                        Last edited by Cubieman; 08-23-2020, 10:58 AM.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                          I got mine from a Ace/True Value store, don't know if those are national or regional. I got a few different sizes, I can't remember which I finally used. I want to say it was a size that looked slightly smaller in diameter than your average 3/8" OD clear tubing.
                          The most important thing when ramming the tubing into 3M is to grease it up really well with some silcone lubricant, that helps tremendously.

EDIT: Just looked out in the garge, it looks like I used some 7/16" OD tubing.
                          thanks. so its a clearing tubing like the one i have above?

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...tubing/4315537
                          Last edited by Maxima SE; 08-23-2020, 11:58 AM.
                          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Yea, same stuff, just make sure it is lubed up quite liberally.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                              Yea, same stuff, just make sure it is lubed up quite liberally.
                              That’s what she said
                              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X