FCP Euro Lifetime Replacement Guarantee Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad, if FCP adjusts their pricing. They are typically more expensive than other sellers and we all figured it's because of the lifetime warranty. If the warranty is not as lifetime or as warranty-ish, then I would expect the prices to come down a little... but we all know they won't.
    Yup their prices are indeed typically higher to adjust for the "lifetime guarantee."
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

I am in the never warrantied a thing and will continue buying from FCP camp.

Do people actually use something like a control arm or shock for its expected service life and then turn it in for new years later? That would make me feel like a total schnorrer.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post

Do people actually use something like a control arm or shock for its expected service life and then turn it in for new years later? That would make me feel like a total schnorrer.
        Bruh, if that makes you feel like a POS then you shouldn't even think about people return oil change kits. I don't understand if you feel bad warrantying something thats years old, this is not the thread for you. lol

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

100% agree and that's my angle with it. They knew the risks and there's a reason you forecast these things before executing. Also if they were worried about losing money due to people abusing it, why push the marketing so hard to the consumer. They are literally telling you to send your fluids back all over social media. Not just leaving it on the website for the smart consumer to find.

Friend and I archived the fcp terms prior to this announcement and it looks like they never had a "terms of service" that stated "program subject to change at any time" or anything of the likes so legally I think they have to honor all the old terms such as refunding you cash for replacements before the new terms go into effect (aka pre 11/1 orders) and technically I think they also are obligated to refund you for the replacement order and not the original order. Its not "lifetime replacement" if I have to pay for the price hike of the new part minus shipping costs. That's grade A fraud to get you to buy from them if they go back on their terms of the program that got us all to buy into it in the first place. No end date for the program was stated or a "program subject to changes at any time" is listed anywhere.

Legally though, this will get very interesting for anyone in the old program because I can't see how their legal team that helped draft the new terms will be able to help them do anything about changing terms of an old program that had no disclaimers giving them the right to do so in the first place.

Anything moving forward, sure they can do whatever they want. They are a business at the end of the day and realized too late in the game that they need to offset losses from data analysis that someone fell asleep at the wheel on.

Also, it looks like replacements for pre 11/1 orders will indeed be eligible for a cash refund upon request. Annoying to have to put in extra effort for this but its something.

Archive of their terms prior to the announcement:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200426...time-guarantee
          100% Agree with everything you said. And thank you for the web archive. That will come in handy one day for sure for some of us.
          Last edited by Maxima SE; 10-25-2022, 01:59 PM.
          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Bruh, if that makes you feel like a POS then you shouldn't even think about people return oil change kits. I don't understand if you feel bad warrantying something thats years old, this is not the thread for you. lol
            so many of you keep going back to this oil change argument. In reality the number of people returning oil is not as high as you think, which is why they advertise it so much, even on social media platforms. As others have stated, its a pain in the ass to collect and pour old oil in the containers, package it up and ship it back. An oil change kit for E46/E92 M3 kit is less than $100 and you will spend about $30-$40 shipping all that back from the west coast where a lot of BMW enthusiasts are. Simple not worth the headache. If the oil spills then you lose on the shipping fees too because they dispose of your package before it ever even lands at FCP

A better argument would be the $200 SAX FM booster diff fluid which is super expensive and doesnt take up much space. You could easily return that but how often are you flushing diff fluid? I
            Last edited by Maxima SE; 10-25-2022, 02:03 PM.
            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I think it is fascinating that people will return used oil and filters. I guess paypal return shipping for free made that possible. I never saw the point of paying for shipping of oil from FCP. I always just buy local. I know they offer free shipping if you are over a specific $ amount, but it takes a while to reach me. I just look for sales on oil locally.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

Btw hundreds to thousands of dollars in store credit? at this rate all your money is going to FCP in hopes of a lifetime warranty in god knows how long from now.
                Store credit is sweet. I could read their T&C and see how long they will leave that credit to your name. If they sweep that $ at a certain point, they will pocket those credits if you sell the BMW and no longer buy parts from them...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                  I’ve been buying parts from them since 2014, and my dumbass has yet to warranty a single thing oof.
                  Same (well, probably 2015).

Comment

It's folks like you that make the program work for folks like me 😁

Yes I return fluids and things like TPS sensors, but they will also get my purchase when I buy items with a 60k+ mile service life. And at the rate I drive the car, it'll be a long long while before those items come back to them, if ever. So even with the returns I'm definitely still a profitable customer to them.

If I had to guess the percentage of purchases coming back through the program can't be that high – and to them it's a powerful piece of marketing that probably has a very healthy ROI.

I still respect FCP for having the balls to execute this business model in any form, and at the end of the day it's hard to argue that it isn't a net positive to the customer.

Originally posted by PabloCruise View Post

I think it is fascinating that people will return used oil and filters. I guess paypal return shipping for free made that possible. I never saw the point of paying for shipping of oil from FCP. I always just buy local. I know they offer free shipping if you are over a specific $ amount, but it takes a while to reach me. I just look for sales on oil locally.
                    I shipped my last oil change back to them for $20, and the kit costs $70 these days. Print a label and drop it off, why not?
                    Last edited by dukeofchen; 10-25-2022, 02:25 PM.
                    '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                    All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

I did buy wheel studs and plan to replace them at regular intervals - 12 events. I did consider getting Hawk brake pads but didn't think it was worth running a crappier pad to vs the savings.

People abuse warranties all of the time. Tire and wheel warranties anyone?

Comment

I remember asking FCP one time if they priced matched--found a better price on ECS. They said, no, because they have a lifetime warranty. This particular part I thought, I may never need to replace it. So, i went with ECS. Now I do buy from FCP because they have great customer service and easy returns, and put out some great DIY videos.

However--recently I bought from ECS and I'll say, that was the nicest packed car parts box I've ever received. And, I had to call for some help on some backordered items and they were very helpful, and sorted it all out. All that said, I still shop around--FCP, ECS, and GBMW parts. I've always been skeptical of this FCP "lifetime warranty" and am not shocked on them changing the terms. I'd be OK with a full warranty for what I paid for the part and I was surprised they actually offered not only that, but a free exchange for a new part, even if the price increased. I don't run enough miles on this car to wear stuff out like some might, but FCP is still a great choice IMO.

Comment

It was only a mater of time before they made some change to this policy. I for one have been reaping the rewards of free track pads for 5 years now. First with the stock calipers and now with the 996 stuff. In all honesty the reason I went 996 Brembo is because I could source pads from FCP. I buy almost all my parts from them at a premium because I almost feel obligated since I am benefitting from the pads. Now I will likely just go to the cheapest supplier. FCP has grown so fast in large part due to the highly advertised lifetime warranty. Its what made them standout from the numerous other suppliers selling the same parts. Its an unfortunate change and one that will likely affect my future purchase decisions.

All that said carparts.com now offers lifetime replacement. Possibly this an option for those looking to source basic maintenance parts?
                          Last edited by Sergmann; 10-26-2022, 05:33 AM.

Comment

I can't be mad at FCP, with how many of their car parts I've warranty swapped. They've been covering my track rotors/pads/fluids for years now, and I've been using them for long enough that pretty much anything that breaks on my car is covered by them.

I'm sure their business model is built upon most people not keeping the car long enough to do things like rod bearings, cooling systems, etc more than once, and fluids more or less being a marketing expense. Sadly for them, people like me have had the same car for 18 years, with no intention of selling or stopping driving/tracking, which throws a wrench in the works a bit

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Wow some people here really up on their high horse throwing shade at people for using FCP lifetime warranty inside an FCP lifetime warranty forum thread lol, especially when this is FCP's main advertising point. I 100% use this for fluids also so I guess I am one of the stingy cheap people in here as well . 2 weeks ago I sent back 4 liters of brake fluid and a set of OE wiper blades, that $100 refund is better in my pocket then FCP's bank account. I am also the horrible person (lol) who sends oil and filters back, an oil change on my 911 costs $168 and once again that money is better in my pocket then theirs. I have both paid for shipping myself and also used PayPal's free returns which is almost gone and even paying for shipping is still worth it to me because even an extra $50 at the end of the day is free money for me . Feels like Rennlist in this thread where money doesn't matter and everyone is/acts rich lol. Regarding the change to store credit I will continue to use FCP and send back anything I possibly can to them and use the credit on my 2 BMW's and my 911, its slightly worse but still the best deal out there. Do I buy some stuff from ECS and others, absolutely, if I find a good deal or its not something that I think will be replaced.
                              Last edited by Norocehcap; 10-26-2022, 08:06 AM.
                              2004 M3-Silver Grey Metallic/Imola Red-Coupe-6spd
                              2002 330Ci-Topaz Blue Metallic/Black-5spd
                              Instagram- Norocehcap

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Hmm, that is a solid point, I looked at it like you were warrantying the part from 2020 even if in 2024. IF they go about it the same way you stated above then yes I agree with you.
                                Since the method of completing a warranty is first initiated by buying a replacement, I believe each replacement restarts the warranty clock. So it doesn't matter if you've replaced the brake pads 5 times, the warranty is not linked back to the original part but the most recent purchased replacement.

Slight upside is, if the parts are increasing in cost over time you are receiving slightly more back in store credit each time. Honestly, in practice I don't find it as severe as some are making it out to be. I've just sent back an oil change kit, which will result in $72 of store credit being loaded to my account. I'm going to need another oil change in the future, which will require no out of pocket on my side besides shipping. Anyway, this is all personal use case and not really worth arguing which is better or worse. Will work for some and not for others.
                                2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X