This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Looks like he listed Dinan TBs on the mod list.
    Yep, that's why I mentioned them...
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Guys, has anyone tested different x-pipe placement on dyno? I have S54 swap in E30- and trying to find out any info about best x-pipe location, have dual 2.5" pipes, now x-pipe is near gearbox- is it affects on torque curve? Is it better to place x-pipe as long as it possible?

Comment

Originally posted by BMWfanz View Post
        Guys, has anyone tested different x-pipe placement on dyno? I have S54 swap in E30- and trying to find out any info about best x-pipe location, have dual 2.5" pipes, now x-pipe is near gearbox- is it affects on torque curve? Is it better to place x-pipe as long as it possible?
        You want a cross-over pipe between the two pipes as close to the stock location as possible. It is located between the gearbox and rear differential on the E46, more towards the differential.

Click image for larger version  Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6tNf9PazWaDWWHKAgSrI7FriBOwpp-ni9hQ&usqp=CAU.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	232440
        Last edited by Slideways; 09-06-2023, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

You want a cross-over pipe between the two pipes as close to the stock location as possible. It is located between the gearbox and rear differential on the E46, more towards the differential.

Click image for larger version Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6tNf9PazWaDWWHKAgSrI7FriBOwpp-ni9hQ&usqp=CAU.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	232440
          Previous setup was like on old photo, now i moved X-pipe before resonators (green X)- and now minding made i right desicion or not.
          Attached Files

Comment

Previous setup was like on old photo, now i moved X-pipe before resonators (green X)- and now minding made i right desicion or not.
            You don't want the crossover there. If anything, the x-pipe should go behind the resonators, or even better an H-pipe/crossover. Here is a link to the PDF on the design of the exhaust system - http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...ust_System.pdf

"After the catalytic converters, an interference pipe connects the two pipe runs. This cross-coupling point leads to an increase in torque at medium engine speeds."
            Last edited by Slideways; 09-06-2023, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

You don't want the crossover there. If anything, the x-pipe should go behind the resonators, or even better an H-pipe/crossover. Here is a link to the PDF on the design of the exhaust system - http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...ust_System.pdf

"After the catalytic converters, an interference pipe connects the two pipe runs. This cross-coupling point leads to an increase in torque at medium engine speeds."
              In same PDF- Exhaust Back-pressure Due to the largely throttle-free exhaust pipes and generous dimensioning of the catalytic converters and silencers, pressure loss has been kept down to 300 mbar at 8000 rpm (in standard operating conditions), which is actually 40 percent better than on the previous model (E36 M3). So as i understood- X-pipe/ h-pipe sorts out only torque curve form, not peak power/torque​

Comment

There is no correct answer here as the placement of the crossover will change what RPM peak exhaust scavenging effect occurs, so it will depend on what sort of powerband you are after, and is also a function of other components of your setup.

Generally the closer the X pipe is located to the headers, the higher the RPM you will see the exhaust scavenging benefit. For instance if you look at the BMW P54 powered racecars you will see the crossover is immediately after the header flange. This will give you some high RPM benefit, assuming the rest of the engine’s setup is able to take advantage of it, at the expense of low-end torque.

The factory location is very far back and you will see that reflected in an increase in engine VE around the 3000-4500 RPM area over an engine without the crossover or with a single exhaust setup. The factory exhaust design is very good at giving you a nice wide flat torque curve which in reality is what most of us actually want.

Comment

yes racecar with short gears you dont much care below 4000rpm so the X-pipe or y-pipe should be closer than where you would want it on the street

Comment

I just got my car dynoed at EAS with HTE Performance.

Mods:
                    Eventuri Intake
                    Macht Schnell Intake boot
                    SG Headers
                    Dual Magnaflow Resonators in section 2
                    Ebay Muffler
                    IAT Relocation
                    Deatschwerks 440cc Injectors
                    AEM 340 LPH fuel pump
                    ApeFlex fuel kit

First run was on 91 octane and second run was on e30 fuel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	623
Size:	966.8 KB
ID:	234617

Comment

Took my mostly stock car to the dyno day at a local shop this weekend. Here are the results: 251 toque / 296 hp.
                      The car is a 2005 M3 with 136k miles running on 93 octane with minimal mods.
                      • Intake: Stock
                      • Exhaust:
                        • Headers: Stock
                        • Section 1: CPI rasp terminator (from the previous owner)
                        • Section 2: Stock
                        • Section 3: Stock
                      The car had an AFE cone intake and a Remus section 3 when I bought it, so maybe it had a tune as well? Not sure, but I'm pretty happy with the results, since I considered it to be a stock car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sophie on the dyno - October 7, 2023.png Views:	0 Size:	263.8 KB ID:	237206

The coils, plugs, and pre-cat O2 sensors were all replaced within 20k miles. I've also done all the standard Beisan VANOS rebuild stuff.
                      Last edited by tcp; 10-09-2023, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Got the car on a Mustang Dyno, supposedly calibrated to output "Dynojet" numbers. A stock G87 M2 dyno'd 460whp for reference.

332 hp
                        247 torque

My mods as i can think of:
                        -Status Gruppe headers, AR20 added to sec1, stock section 2, Dinan muffler
                        -Turner motorsport CSL carbon intake
                        -oversized waterpump, ps and alternator pullies
                        -MSS54HP running MAP tuned by HTE
                        -Shell 93 fuel
                        -180,xxx km on the odometer

Click image for larger version  Name:	7be7f79a-6851-4446-af51-04905789cf21.jpg Views:	0 Size:	322.4 KB ID:	238047
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3946.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	238046
                        Last edited by dl.m3; 10-14-2023, 08:01 PM.

Comment

321whp & 250wtq on a Dynojet with shitty ARCO 91oct

Mods:
                          - CPI/Bimmerworld headers
                          - Dinan muffler
                          - HTE tune

…otherwise bone stock.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post
                            321whp & 250wtq on a Dynojet with shitty ARCO 91oct

Mods:
                            - CPI/Bimmerworld headers
                            - Dinan muffler
                            - HTE tune

…otherwise bone stock.
                            Didn't get a chance to look now but I see this is STD correction. It should be SAE to be comparable. SAE corrected is about 10 whp less I'm guessing. So that would mean 311 whp up from 270-280 stock. Still a massive gain and a very healthy motor.
                            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Didn't get a chance to look now but I see this is STD correction. It should be SAE to be comparable. SAE corrected is about 10 whp less I'm guessing. So that would mean 311 whp up from 270-280 stock. Still a massive gain and a very healthy motor.
                              As long as it’s healthy!! Can’t wait to go back with CSL airbox, cams, some head work & bigger injectors. For now I’m super happy with that graph. Car feels infinitely smoother.

Comment

New engine as my old block cracked. Dyno was after about 500 miles of breaking in.

324hp & 254tq on a Dynojet with 93 fuel and temps in the 40's/50's

Mods
                                - Stock compression forged mahle pistons
                                - rebuilt head
                                - Karbonius Race Airbox
                                - SS V1, SS Catted Section 1, OEM/Stock Section 2, SS Sport Muffler
                                - Epic Tune

Curious on people's thoughts on how this looks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-11-14_Dyno_New_Engine.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.8 KB ID:	246654
                                Last edited by MarcoPolo; 12-23-2023, 06:55 AM.
                                '06 Carbon Black
                                Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

Working...
                                X