This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thonas View Post

So what should I do next for more NA HP? Is the next step cams?
    Why is it nosing over at 7,000rpms? Have you performed a VANOS test recently?

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post

Why is it nosing over at 7,000rpms? Have you performed a VANOS test recently?
      Kassel thought it was plugs being a bit old. I replaced them but will not be able to get back to them for another run.

Comment

Kassel thought it was plugs being a bit old. I replaced them but will not be able to get back to them for another run.
        How many miles on your plugs? Might want to perform a VANOS test as well.

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post

How many miles on your plugs? Might want to perform a VANOS test as well.
          plugs had maybe 10k to 15K miles. Is there a guide to perform a VANOS test? can it be performed with the schawben scan tool? Thanks!!

Comment

plugs had maybe 10k to 15K miles. Is there a guide to perform a VANOS test? can it be performed with the schawben scan tool? Thanks!!
            Plugs should be fine w/those low miles. I believe that a Schwaben will perform at least some of the tests, but not all? I've always used a GT1 type tool, but there are other means of running a VANOS test. Maybe search in the Coding/Tuning section for other recommendations.
            Last edited by stash1; 04-06-2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Recently got my street build on the RK-Tunes dyno for a custom Alpha-N tune. Mods:
              - Karbonious CSL airbox
              - 280 272 Cat cams
              - SuperSprint V1 Header, SS Catted section 1, SS oversized resonated section 2, SCZA muffler
              - TMS pulleys

After Jordan doing his thing we ended up with 350 WHP & 261 Torque. Pretty happy with that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51072704238_4001c320e0_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.1 KB ID:	94586

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                Recently got my street build on the RK-Tunes dyno for a custom Alpha-N tune. Mods:
                - Karbonious CSL airbox
                - 280 272 Cat cams
                - SuperSprint V1 Header, SS Catted section 1, SS oversized resonated section 2, SCZA muffler
                - TMS pulleys

After Jordan doing his thing we ended up with 350 WHP & 261 Torque. Pretty happy with that.
                Nice build and results Rob! Thanx for posting man!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jezebel Dyno.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	97924
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8472.JPG
Views:	817
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	97925

373 KW is 500hp.
                  Custom VF engineering kit (modified intake + water Meth).
                  3.91 Diff
                  Fully built Vac Motor with CP pistons and HPF Crower Rods
                  ARP L19 studs and bolts.
                  Cometic Headgasket
                  Euro Stock Exhaust. No Cats

Vac Motorsports e46 M3 ~ BEL
                  YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Comment

Tested today my streettune on a Maha dyno to check the work, sadly don‘t had the time to make a baseline run with stock software. Maha Dynos have here in Germany a very high reputation, even manufacturers (including BMW) use them. Only downside is, that they don‘t output „correctly“ WHP figures, only Crank Hp (corrected Crank HP with EWG like factory HP figures and not corrected Crank HP).
                    This was discussed previous with Martin on Page 2 or 3.

Dyno Operator showed me a couple of other E46 m3 runs from his database, they were around 310-342 Crank HP corrected. And one dyno plot with a airbox, tune and not known other mods at around 360 Crank Hp corrected.
                    I think operator made a small mistake while synch rpm, because I set limiter at 8200 and dyno result‘s go a bit further. But estimated HP should be same.

my setup:
                    - complete Euro car
                    -freshly done Vanos and valveclearance
                    -CSL Software with MAP
                    -Karbonius with CSL Flap
                    -Viscofan delete (Spal)
                    -Muffler mod
                    -modded midpipe
                    -8200 limiter
                    -street tuned

Temp: 22-23°C ambient temp in Dynoroom and ECU measured 50°C intake Temp due heatsoak. After 3500rpm IAT normalized itself due airflow to 30°C.

Fuel: premium pump gas (Aral Ultimate 102 octane)

in the logs I see definitely more ignition retards in high rpm‘s (cylinder individual) compared to my street pulls. And I have to rework the area around 2000-2500rpm where I didn‘t spend time while street tune.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by S54B32; 04-27-2021, 10:07 AM.
                    …under construction.

Comment

^^^ Congrats, not super familiar w/the Maha dynos, but looks like a good running car regardless!

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
                        Tested today my streettune on a Maha dyno to check the work, sadly don‘t had the time to make a baseline run with stock software. Maha Dynos have here in Germany a very high reputation, even manufacturers (including BMW) use them. Only downside is, that they don‘t output „correctly“ WHP figures, only Crank Hp (corrected Crank HP with EWG like factory HP figures and not corrected Crank HP).
                        This was discussed previous with Martin on Page 2 or 3.
                        its says 244whp uncorrected which corrects to 252whp

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

its says 244whp uncorrected which corrects to 252whp
                          If you read more about Dyno types and look at comparisons with same car on different dynos you will see that this is not the real WHP figure (aka Dynojet results). Maha dynos output very accurate Crank HP, but inaccurate WHP figures.

with 240 or 252 whp I would definitely be much slower on street, than it is in real life. I will try to get a dragy or P-gear and measure 100-200kmh / 60-130mph times.
                          …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

If you read more about Dyno types and look at comparisons with same car on different dynos you will see that this is not the real WHP figure (aka Dynojet results). Maha dynos output very accurate Crank HP, but inaccurate WHP figures.

with 240 or 252 whp I would definitely be much slower on street, than it is in real life. I will try to get a dragy or P-gear and measure 100-200kmh / 60-130mph times.
                            ive used both Maha and and DJ in past years long time ago, i even tested same car within a couple days, the DJ was 5% higher peak whp, 10% higher in midrange but almost 15% at bottom end, .

i have collected Maha dyno data from 4 other e46 m3 (besides Martyn's) they are 240, 242 and 259whp (all different machines) and a fully built engine 344whp just as a FYI

you cant say the Maha whp is inaccurate for whp or it is not real as that's a fundamental to the calculation of crank hp. for sure you should look at the entire maha data.

For sure its fair to say comparing the whp of Maha to the whp of a dynojet is not particularly useful or meaningful as there are probably different algorithms mostly in the inertia terms /assumptions.

I see alot of dyno videos on some brands where the test takes all of 5 seconds, you can be sure its nonsense due to the unknown inertia which becomes important the faster the ramp rate / acceleration rate.

People say you should only compare deltas and the usual its a tuning tool etc etc but then they will contradict themselves and say those are nice numbers when there is only one (1) engine setup shown on the graph
                            Last edited by digger; 04-28-2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                              240, 242 and 259whp (all different machines) and a fully built engine 344whp just as a FYI

Hi Digger,

The main idea of all Chassis Dyno is to find their loses and equation of how each one calculates
                              the power from the engine to wheels. Ones this is determined then we will know what is the
                              actual losses in percent.

Let's look at the numbers you provided under your test. I assume the E46M3s are all stock on those
                              3 numbers correct ?

Factory DiN BMW AG rates the EU S54 343hp crank/BHP.

Say we take the number 243Maha RWHP an use this equation 343bhp-242rwhp=101 101 divide by 343bhp=0.29444 x 100 = 29.44%
                              drive train loss. Or the easier way is 343-29.44%=242rwhp.

So basically nothing wrong with Maha Dyno at almost 30% drive train losses. But I am not sure how the Maha software will transfer
                              the weather factor calibration which can be very tricky.

At 29.44% drive train loss this is absurd from any point of view..Say hypothetically we put Subaru 4x4 and what will be the
                              losses on 4 wheel drive car per Maha Dyno ? What almost 40% which is again fine on its own way.

The trick... That I assume fully blown race S54 which made 344 Maha RWHP ran on what type of fuel ?

Regards,
                              Anri
                              https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

The official crank HP from BMW for EU market cars at this time the car was release where per EWG norm. So corrected with this factor in the test environment.

I talked a yesterday with some Porsche guys, wo using MAHA dyno a bit more often. They said in their experience/conclusion MAHA dynos can not separate the inertia from drivetrain and the rollers in the shown whp figure. So „whp“ is with roller losses.
                                Because they said they see „big“ differences in whp figure from a single roller per wheel MAHA compared to another MAHA with two roller per wheel. The losses from where the tire contacts to the rollers are higher when 2 rolls touch the tire compared to one.

FYI The MAHA (LPS3000) I visited, was a AWD dyno with 2 rollers per wheel.

…under construction.

Comment

Working...
                                X