This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
    Cool Experiment BBR, you ever think of trying 5w50?
    Yes, that would seemingly be ideal, but Motul doesn't offer 5w50 in 300V, only in the Sport line. I still might go that way eventually.

Interestingly, though, the Motul 300v 15w50 Competition has a 40C viscosity value of 122 mm/s where the LiquiMoly 10w60 is a whopping 168 mm/s, making the LM much thicker for California "cold" starts, despite having a lower Winter rating.. Wish I had done more research on this years ago.

Comment

Yea, I pulled my oil filter cap out of curiosity to see 10w60 LM cold and it was really thick. I'm on redline 5w50 now from LM 10w60, which has lower viscosity at 40C and very close in viscosity at 100C with higher VI. I tried the 300v before and liked it but they don't recommend it on street cars and advise to change the oil after a track day. That would get pretty expensive since I try to drive the car a couple of times a week in the canyons and such.
      Last edited by enjoy_m3; 08-07-2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Yea, I pulled my oil filter cap out of curiosity to see 10w60 LM cold and it was really thick. I'm on redline 5w50 now from LM 10w60, which has lower viscosity at 40C and very close in viscosity at 100C with higher VI. I tried the 300v before and liked it but they don't recommend it on street cars and advise to change the oil after a track day. That would get pretty expensive since I try to drive the car a couple of times a week in the canyons and such.
        I run it for two weekends, roughly 6 track days - Left 3 samples are Motul 300V 15w50, right 3 are Redline 50wt race. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 11.40.57 PM.png
Views:	1255
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	51765

Comment

Interesting comparison Crooked. So do you mean you each sample has 2 weekends of trackdays in it? I'm no chemist, but is increased molybdenum ( I assume is molybdenum disulphide) & zinc ( I also assum zddp) means increased wear protection with the redline? The consistency definitely looks good. I was just following the 300v recommendations which they say isn't designed for long change intervals. They recommended every track/race event or 3000 miles. I think your car is a track car towed to the track right?

Comment

Interesting comparison Crooked. So do you mean you each sample has 2 weekends of trackdays in it? I'm no chemist, but is increased molybdenum ( I assume is molybdenum disulphide) & zinc ( I also assum zddp) means increased wear protection with the redline? The consistency definitely looks good. I was just following the 300v recommendations which they say isn't designed for long change intervals. They recommended every track/race event or 3000 miles. I think your car is a track car towed to the track right?
            Yes, the car doesn't see any street use. Correct, each sample is two weekends of track miles. I'm staying with the 300V because of the lower lead wear vs the Redline.

Comment

👍 Out of curiosity, since your oil sample is pretty consistent. have you tried amsoil?

Comment

👍 Out of curiosity, since your oil sample is pretty consistent. have you tried amsoil?
                I have not, I ran LM when I first got the car, and those samples didn't look as great.

Comment

Here's mine this week after installing my TMS Airbox and having Hassan tune it. I am very, very pleased with the results!

334whp, 252whtq on CA91 pisswater
                  • Turner box
                  • HTE custom dyno tune
                  • Kassel CSL spec HP DME
                  • Kassel MAP
                  • Turner underdrive pullies
                  • SGT ceramic coated headers
                  • Euro Sec1
                  • Stock Sec2 / 3
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post

On the face of it, yeah! I kind of expected a slightly bigger delta but perhaps I've found the next restriction.

The general consensus with euro tuners is that US (W)HP = euro BHP, we don't tend to use WHP figures.

So in comparison, a stock euro E46 M3 generally makes 315-330 BHP over here, a healthy car with an airbox and supporting mods generally makes 340-360 BHP etc

Can't wait to see what the restriction is

Comment

Originally posted by T-Rex View Post
                      Here's mine this week after installing my TMS Airbox and having Hassan tune it. I am very, very pleased with the results!

334whp, 252whtq on CA91 pisswater
                      • Turner box
                      • HTE custom dyno tune
                      • Kassel CSL spec HP DME
                      • Kassel MAP
                      • Turner underdrive pullies
                      • SGT ceramic coated headers
                      • Euro Sec1
                      • Stock Sec2 / 3
                      Nice results, thanx for adding to the data base!

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
                        I second the above motion!

I'll have to dig out the video, however I had mine an a mainline dyno back in mid-2015 iirc. Was stock except the exhaust. Full system, euro headers (car is euro spec), no cats, section 2 three inch status gruppe x pipe, megan muffler. No tune.

Made ~265whp iirc.

For reference, I also ran the 1/4 mile around the same time; 13.37 @ 169kp/h (105mp/h)
                        Found the dyno graphs yesterday while cleaning out the glovebox!

Attached Files

Comment

^^ I assume that is KW to the wheels, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                            ^^ I assume that is KW to the wheels, correct?
                            Correct.

Comment

It's almost useless to look at a lab report without measuring how effective the oil actually is. An oil could be a perfect viscosity yet doesn't protect a darn thing to protect your engine. They don't even test the TBN. These reports aren't much of a picture of what's going on.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

there are enough uselss oil threads already, maybe keep the discussion here to dyno results of oils or otherwise....

Comment

Working...
                                X