Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D Printed Carbon Fiber Polycarbonate Intake (Louder intake noise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered one to replace my Gruppe M CF replica intake! I can't wait to hear what this sounds like! I will eventually replace it with a supercharger but the awesome noise will be my consolation price until then 😂.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

You could 3D scan the area but the challenge is going to always be getting a tight seal against the bottom of the hood. Which is why the OEM intake usually has better real world performance than most CAIs.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	FCP%20Euro%20Volvo%20850%20Project%20Engine%20Bay%20Beauty.jpg?width=1200&length=1200&name=FCP%20Euro%20Volvo%20850%20Project%20Engine%20Bay%20Beauty.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	219019

All you would need is a proper surround, a feed of cold air (headlight, stock airbox bumper duct, etc), and a bit of bulb weather seal. The noise benefit will really be coming from the tuned thickness of that inlet that OP has designed.

To be clear, I am not saying this is a better solution than a carbon airbox with all the factory CFD behind it, but this could be a cost-effective solution for intake noise benefit without significant performance drawback vs. a stock airbox. I am aware this is essentially reinventing every competent intake kit (Dinan, Gruppe M, et.al) so it is not rocket science, just trying to suggest solutions for the OP.
      2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Sorry, I haven't really been monitoring this thread much! I got a 3D scanner this year and have been working on parts for my main car (supercharged 370Z) with lots of exciting pieces for the platform. I have a busy June but with the scanner, I can finally get to designing something here.

I designed this with sound as the first and by far highest priority, and for me, it had to work better than the K&N as far as performance goes. I love hearing that people enjoy the sound!

I get a TON of questions on 1. a heat shield and 2. whether I have dyno numbers. I have IATs logged and that's good enough for myself, but I'm still going to design some sort of shielding this summer to address the demand! I don't have any plans to dyno though, because it's expensive and not great data.
        Ironically, all the other intakes with partial shields (and the CSL without a bottom feeding snorkel) suffer from the same IAT heat creep at a stop as no shielding, because the engine bay as noted is a high pressure zone when fans kick on, and the intake produces a slight vacuum. Anything short of a full sealed box like the OEM box will draw in hot engine bay air when not moving. And while moving, the IATs are so close to ambient that I don't worry the slightest about performance.

Originally posted by Albino09 View Post
        Maybe there is a way to combine this intake with a cap to the radiator upper ducting to simulate a low-cost Gruppe-M intake? I wish I had an autoCAD setup that I could get involved in putting something together as this issue is far from rocket science and I see a lot of potential with the 3D printed plastics.
        ​^This is my goal if I can manage to keep it all 3d printed and cost effectively so. If not, then I will be settling for laser cut and bent sheet metal and a fat rubber seal. I should be able to make the shape better than K&N and AFE's heat shield.
        Hope to have an update in a month or so for this piece, and will give any existing buyers a good discount on it.

Comment

Wish my car had more induction noise

Comment

Wife and I went to the track (her bday present to me), and I drove my recently supercharged 370Z and she took her M3.
            My Z was overheating oil like crazy and could only do 1-2 hotlaps before I had to let it cool down, so for the last session of the day, I drove her car. We confirmed the CSF radiator does not keep up on a 90 degree day (hit me up with radiator recommendations, between OEM, fluidyne, do88, PWR, Zionsville, and C&R)

We also confirmed the intake setup (Karbonius CF OEM box+my printed piece) sounds glorious. Recording was with windows down and a decent amount of wind noise as a result.
            I enjoyed those few laps more than all the short hot laps combined throughout the rest of my day in my Z.

Autobahn Country Club Full
            My car was overheating after one hot lap thanks to supercharging and not bumping up oil cooling enough.I drove my wife's E46 m3, which was having coolant tem...

Comment

Originally posted by TeddybearCup View Post
              Wife and I went to the track (her bday present to me), and I drove my recently supercharged 370Z and she took her M3.
              My Z was overheating oil like crazy and could only do 1-2 hotlaps before I had to let it cool down, so for the last session of the day, I drove her car. We confirmed the CSF radiator does not keep up on a 90 degree day (hit me up with radiator recommendations, between OEM, fluidyne, do88, PWR, Zionsville, and C&R)

We also confirmed the intake setup (Karbonius CF OEM box+my printed piece) sounds glorious. Recording was with windows down and a decent amount of wind noise as a result.
              I enjoyed those few laps more than all the short hot laps combined throughout the rest of my day in my Z.

Autobahn Country Club Full
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJkHXPRnuI
              Sound pretty cool!!! Gives the car so much more character

Comment

Wow, is the mic inside the car or engine bay? That sounds loud, it would be nice to see a comparison with the csl style intake and the oem plus your intake. I have your intake in my z4m. Would you still consider adding some sort of provision for a bracket so hold it steady?

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
                  Wow, is the mic inside the car or engine bay? That sounds loud, it would be nice to see a comparison with the csl style intake and the oem plus your intake. I have your intake in my z4m. Would you still consider adding some sort of provision for a bracket so hold it steady?
                  For my track vid, it was a go pro on my helmet!
                  Yes, I've been excessively busy this summer (friends' weddings, SC project on my 370Z, new 370Z parts designs, and busier work than usual) but I am absolutely set on still making a shield and bracket setup.

Comment

Minor update: I've started adding threaded inserts to make screwing the maf in easier. Metal on metal instead of metal into plastic. They are still small screws so still require very little force.
                    I have a free weekend coming up so will be starting on scanning the engine bay and designing a heat shield.

Comment

Currently running a 10% off sale for this week with code SUMMER23 (1-2 week turnaround)

Wanted to also poll people on whether they feel good with a walled off heat shield design, or want more of a boxed in design like OEM, Injen, and Dinan. The boxed in design is quieter and IMO defeats the purpose of this intake.
                      The walled off design like K&N, Eventuri, and AFE aren't as great at keeping out hot air at a stop but will make a negligible impact to sound. It should also be significantly cheaper to make and easier to design.

Comment

Originally posted by TeddybearCup View Post
                        Currently running a 10% off sale for this week with code SUMMER23 (1-2 week turnaround)

Wanted to also poll people on whether they feel good with a walled off heat shield design, or want more of a boxed in design like OEM, Injen, and Dinan. The boxed in design is quieter and IMO defeats the purpose of this intake.
                        The walled off design like K&N, Eventuri, and AFE aren't as great at keeping out hot air at a stop but will make a negligible impact to sound. It should also be significantly cheaper to make and easier to design.
                        I'd say aligning with your objective (smooth flow with good noise) is the right move. If you'd end up creating a fully boxed design, then I don't know why one would bother buying this over an OEM box. Turner's wall style looks pretty nice, especially grabbing the air from the fresh air scoop behind the kidneys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	297
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	227791
                        2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

^^

Comment

Walled is my preference.

Comment

Heat soak and high pressure solution idea:
                              Take the oe intake, modify to insert this intake inside of it with the Macht Schnell elbow, use a hole saw and rtv seal it in place. Maybe consider a smaller filter or maybe make a larger bottom section to house it. I can tell you first hand my stock intake with elbow and with bmc filter and stock Exhaust has been hard to beat with the butt dyno unless you remap, headers, csl box…$$$$$

Comment

Thanks, I'll stick with walled! Will keep this thread updated.
                                EDIT: Have first prototype entering production.
                                Last edited by TeddybearCup; 08-07-2023, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X