No announcement yet.

After 14yrs of ownership, i decided to sell my SG/IR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 in the camp of interested in antknee's opinion on the 911.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

repoman89 Mayan-Viking Casa de Mesa

Damn i just saw your replies today (of course the day after the 46M Meet here in NJ yesterday), which i went to with the Porsche. I would've let you guys try it out there if you happen to be up this way.

Anyway, as far as the 911SC, and doing a lot more due diligence on this car after driving other 911s (964, 993 & 997).....the 911sc is EXACTLY how Joe Rogan put it below:

https://youtube.com/shorts/mqM3SZT2H...sfbQZZdRiwsRmZ

If you're the type of person that needs creature comforts like AC, power steering, doesn't like to sweat inside a car in the summer & doesn't like all eyes on you in city traffic.....a 911SC is not for you. I'm used to old loud cars, and lack of these things so this car was exactly what i was looking for. Even though the E46 M3 is a fairly "raw-ish" car, its not an old car. I personally felt disconnected from the E46, and found myself driving it less and less over the years because of this. The 911sc is an old car, that feels solid if you buy a decent example. It handles like its on rails, but doesn't have your traditional shock/spring/coilover setup the 964s and up had. The torsion bar suspensions get some hate i think, but i honestly don't understand why. I guess the lack of modifications like traditional setups are fewer for sure, but there is still a vast amount of adjustability you can do with the torsion bars. Heck to lower the front of the car, its literally one 11mm nut i have to tighten/loosen depending if you want to raise/lower the front.

As far as the power, i do not feel like they feel slow by any means. Thats largely due to the fact that the car is low to ground, you hear the engine behind you, there's minimal sound deadening, car is only 180hp but light....... and it all translates into 40mph feeling like 80mph. If you ever rode in a gas powered go kart that went over 30-40mph, it feels a lot like that to me. The 915 gearbox (which i think ran into most 911s up until 1986) takes getting used to. Its not a "smooth as butter" transmission where it goes into gears effortlessly, but if you've driven manual for a while you'll adjust to it. Its not a tranny that you bang into gears with. Its a tranny that you finesse your way into gears, sometimes it takes a little force getting into some gears....but what I've come to find out that a lot of this vagueness can be alleviated with the adjusting the shifter, a shifter coupling, and also clutch pedals. So a lot of the sh*t i think that floats around the internet about these gearboxes probably doesn't have these tranny variables dialed in.

Working on the car is actually super easy to me and i'm just a backyard novice mechanic. I know the 964s and later are 100xs harder to service when things go wrong. Its very much like working on my E30....and have done 95% of the work myself which i'm going to link you guys below to see my journey with the car since February.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...nic-diary.html

Overall in the "Porsche community" or from a purist standpoint, the 911sc is sort of the redheaded stepchild that was under appreciated. I think that's primarily due to the 80s style impact bumpers. But in reality for me, if you can look past that, you're essentially experiencing the same 911 ownership that any of these other ones from this generation, for a fraction of the price. As far as aftermarket/customization......the support on replacement parts, aftermarket, bespoke.....its all out there. I like to compare it to the 90s Honda Civic/Acura Integra days......there is a modification out there for anything you can dream of. Lastly, this car is an absolute head turner everywhere you go. I mean the M3 would only attract guys in traffic....the 911 just seems to put a smile on everyones face and does not discriminate.....the guys wife in the car next to you will be snapping photos/videos of you at a light.....just driving thru NYC its almost too much attention to handle if you're not used to it!

Prices have dipped a bit since I've purchased, so you guys might be able to find a deal on one, especially now going into the winter.

What my 911SC looks like today after 9 months of blood, sweat & tears.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	960.1 KB ID:	240754
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	954.7 KB ID:	240755
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	967.7 KB ID:	240756
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	914.8 KB ID:	240757​​​
      Last edited by antknee; 11-05-2023, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I'm a little surprised you'd sell your e46 for it but congrats nonetheless.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after owning for the same duration as the m3.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post
          [USER="55"]

Overall in the "Porsche community" or from a purist standpoint, the 911sc is sort of the redheaded stepchild that was under appreciated. I think that's primarily due to the 80s style impact bumpers.​​​
          It's also because the Porsche community is like 5% people who actually know about cars, know how to drive, and appreciate any given car for what it is, and like 95% people who get passed by Miatas in the corners but have lots of Rennsport Reunion socks
          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

It's also because the Porsche community is like 5% people who actually know about cars, know how to drive, and appreciate any given car for what it is, and like 95% people who get passed by Miatas in the corners but have lots of Rennsport Reunion socks
            funny you say that because an old friend of mine won a grip of money out in Vegas during covid and took a 1-way flight to South FL to pick up a GT3. was getting passed by miatas at deals gap lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	gt3.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	240845
            /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
              I'm a little surprised you'd sell your e46 for it but congrats nonetheless.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after owning for the same duration as the m3.
              thanks and I’ll update in 15yrs if i still have it (or if im still alive then 🤣)

Comment

I couldn’t agree more! I feel so out of place at the porsche gtgs that i don’t even go to them anymore

hence why i was at the e46 M3 one yesterday here in nj.

Comment

Not so different than the E46M community. 😄

Nice cars OP.

Comment

I was drooling over the Porsche at the event.

Turnout this year was meh.
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                      I was drooling over the Porsche at the event.
                      Thanks bro! So many nice e46s reppin this year. I think my favorite was the black one with the G80 front seats?

Comment

I think the funniest moment of the meet yesterday was seeing who i thought was Vin from Hoonigans. Kept walking by the dude, and was gonna say something. As he drove away in a red e46, i tap over to my buddy and said “that dude looks just like Vin from Hoonigans”. He replies, yeah that’s bc it’s his brother LOL

Comment

Thanks bro! So many nice e46s reppin this year. I think my favorite was the black one with the G80 front seats?
                          On E88's? That bad boy had McLaren Senna seats in it lol
                          2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

I think the funniest moment of the meet yesterday was seeing who i thought was Vin from Hoonigans. Kept walking by the dude, and was gonna say something. As he drove away in a red e46, i tap over to my buddy and said “that dude looks just like Vin from Hoonigans”. He replies, yeah that’s bc it’s his brother LOL
                            Well they're from Queens I think lol

2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

On E88's? That bad boy had McLaren Senna seats in it lol
                              Yup the one with the e88s. Damn don’t even know what car that is. But they were so insane looking lol

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post

Not so different than the E46M community. 😄

Nice cars OP.
                                The Porsche community is definitely worse in general though. We work with Porsche people a lot, some are great obviously, but there's a very large percentage of knobs with whom I like to play a game where I try to talk to them about literally anything except for their own car(s). They just kind of go blank inevitably. BMW people are cringy in their own unique ways but it's not the same.
                                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                                X