Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless CarPlay and AA on stock MKIV nav screen, including touch screen support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to bump this thread. Any feedback from forum members that have installed this?

I originally had the Avin unit which I hated. The Dynavin unit was a little better but still not 100% pleased with it (wireless CarPlay is buggy and mic quality is not good for phone calls when highway speeds).

Comment

This might be the top 5 most epic OEM + modifications for the e46 m3 to date. We’ve suffered too long with these Chinese head units.

Comment

Hi All,

I just wanted to report back on this. I took the plunge and ordered this set up from Baris at Carphonics.

First off, I want to say that Baris was a pleasure to deal with, answered all my questions and FaceTime'ed with my shop to answer their questions during the installation. His kit came complete with everything needed to get this up and running.

Here are some quick bullet points:
        • This set up utilizes the factory mic. I haven't been on the highway with the mic just yet, but early impressions are it sounds clearer than the cheap aftermarket mics that typically come with third party radios.
        • I went for the touch screen set up which is more responsive and consistent than the Dynavin touch screen units (I tried both the Dynavin 7 and 8).
        • The unit starts up right away with the car and feels faster and less buggy than the Dynavin units.
        • The steering wheel volume control works but the next/previous track buttons currently do not (Baris is looking for a way to get them to work in the future).
        • The only downside is the screen resolution is not as good as the Dynavin units which is understandable since its early 2000's tech.
        If anyone has any questions let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgatfh View Post
          Hi All,

I just wanted to report back on this. I took the plunge and ordered this set up from Baris at Carphonics.

First off, I want to say that Baris was a pleasure to deal with, answered all my questions and FaceTime'ed with my shop to answer their questions during the installation. His kit came complete with everything needed to get this up and running.

Here are some quick bullet points:
          • This set up utilizes the factory mic. I haven't been on the highway with the mic just yet, but early impressions are it sounds clearer than the cheap aftermarket mics that typically come with third party radios.
          • I went for the touch screen set up which is more responsive and consistent than the Dynavin touch screen units (I tried both the Dynavin 7 and 8).
          • The unit starts up right away with the car and feels faster and less buggy than the Dynavin units.
          • The steering wheel volume control works but the next/previous track buttons currently do not (Baris is looking for a way to get them to work in the future).
          • The only downside is the screen resolution is not as good as the Dynavin units which is understandable since its early 2000's tech.
          If anyone has any questions let me know.
          Thank you for the kind words and review. It was an absolute pleasure dealing with you and the mechanic.

One of the best features of this, is that it starts up as soon as you unlock your car, rather than ignition on, which is a big bonus over the dynavin and other aftermarket systems.

I made a quick video recently. I will redo it when I have time, but it explains it a little more and you see it in action.

https://youtu.be/72bA4Ce3GZo?si=vsyl4rsWmDxNbW1Wm

Last edited by Baris - Carphonics; 11-23-2023, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Is there a way to program one of the buttons to turn the screen off, or do you have to navigate back to the factory menu and press "screen off" there? Being able to quickly check nav or change song, and then click the screen back off is pretty important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post
              Is there a way to program one of the buttons to turn the screen off, or do you have to navigate back to the factory menu and press "screen off" there? Being able to quickly check nav or change song, and then click the screen back off is pretty important to me.
              As long as “Screen Off” is highlighted on the original system, then all you would need to do is to push the right knob.

Comment

Seriously interested in this and wanted to confirm everything needed to convert a non-nav cd53 car to work with this for the guys that don't have navigation from the factory?

I'm assuming you need the bare minimum as follows:

-mkiv unit with mounting brackets in the trunk
                -Mkiv nav screen with dash mounting brackets and climate control relocation
                -bm53
                -tv tuner
                -bmw nav retrofit harness
                -bmw tv tuner harness
                -nav carpet liner
                -Carphonics CarPlay upgrade package

Baris can you confirm?

I don't care about the original bmw navigation but I do want the menu functions which it sounds like they do indeed run through the Mkiv computer in the trunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                  Seriously interested in this and wanted to confirm everything needed to convert a non-nav cd53 car to work with this for the guys that don't have navigation from the factory?

I'm assuming you need the bare minimum as follows:

-mkiv unit with mounting brackets in the trunk
                  -Mkiv nav screen with dash mounting brackets and climate control relocation
                  -bm53
                  -tv tuner
                  -bmw nav retrofit harness
                  -bmw tv tuner harness
                  -nav carpet liner
                  -Carphonics CarPlay upgrade package

Baris can you confirm?

I don't care about the original bmw navigation but I do want the menu functions which it sounds like they do indeed run through the Mkiv computer in the trunk?

To retrofit, you need the following.

-retrofit loom. You can either buy from bmw, eBay or I make them for £150.

-tv tuner with carplay installed inside, from me. This will control the monitor and give you the OEM menu etc.

-monitor. I can provide this with a new TFT screen and touchscreen.

-BM53. These are harder for me to source in the UK, because we have BM54 units, which have slightly different radio frequency.

-heater controls relocation bracket.

You should have all the brackets available in the boot to mount the bm53 and tv tuner, unless it’s a convertible.

If you don’t have a phone system, I would also need to provide you with the cabling and microphone. If you do, then I need your microphone to modify it, or you can purchase one from me.

You don’t need the mk4 navigation unit, which means you also don’t need the tv tuner retrofit loom.

Comment

Originally posted by Baris - Carphonics View Post

To retrofit, you need the following.

-retrofit loom. You can either buy from bmw, eBay or I make them for £150.

-tv tuner with carplay installed inside, from me. This will control the monitor and give you the OEM menu etc.

-monitor. I can provide this with a new TFT screen and touchscreen.

-BM53. These are harder for me to source in the UK, because we have BM54 units, which have slightly different radio frequency.

-heater controls relocation bracket.

You should have all the brackets available in the boot to mount the bm53 and tv tuner, unless it's a convertible.

If you don't have a phone system, I would also need to provide you with the cabling and microphone. If you do, then I need your microphone to modify it, or you can purchase one from me.

You don't need the mk4 navigation unit, which means you also don't need the tv tuner retrofit loom.
                    Excellent! Thanks for clarifying.

So mkiv solely controls the factory navigation and has zero functional value for this complete retrofit correct? Since I am stateside a bm53 shouldn't be hard to find but I would probably mail it out to you to have additional upgrades done.

So I just looked in realoem and saw the mkiv nav system and bm53 use their own brackets that are different from the standard cd changer set. Are you stating that the tv tuner and the bm53 technically will mount to the standard cd changer bracket set in the trunk found in most cars? This wouldn't surprise me but without having everything side by side I was originally planning to order the brackets. If I don't need to that's great!

I believe us cars are all prewired for the microphone already. Should just be as simple as checking if the connector is present near the map lights?

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for clarifying.

So mkiv solely controls the factory navigation and has zero functional value for this complete retrofit correct? Since I am stateside a bm53 shouldn't be hard to find but I would probably mail it out to you to have additional upgrades done.

So I just looked in realoem and saw the mkiv nav system and bm53 use their own brackets that are different from the standard cd changer set. Are you stating that the tv tuner and the bm53 technically will mount to the standard cd changer bracket set in the trunk found in most cars? This wouldn't surprise me but without having everything side by side I was originally planning to order the brackets. If I don't need to that's great!

I believe us cars are all prewired for the microphone already. Should just be as simple as checking if the connector is present near the map lights?

The mk4 navigation unit the trunk, controls what comes on the display and right side buttons. If you have tv tuner fitted, then the video output from mk4 nav goes into tv tuner and then to the monitor up front. If the mk4 is removed, the tv tuner is like a backup and takes control of the screen and right side buttons, because it has its own operating system. Meaning there is no point of having the mk4, unless you want the full OEM retrofit as well.

I run my car without the mk4 navigation unit.

Under the cd changer in the trunk, you will have a slot for the bm53 and the tv tuner. You may need the silver clips the screws go into. Same as the ones on the cd changer. Or just take them off the cd changer, as it has 4 of them. The bm53 does require the L shape little bracket.
                      I have attached a photo of it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Baris - Carphonics View Post

The mk4 navigation unit the trunk, controls what comes on the display and right side buttons. If you have tv tuner fitted, then the video output from mk4 nav goes into tv tuner and then to the monitor up front. If the mk4 is removed, the tv tuner is like a backup and takes control of the screen and right side buttons, because it has its own operating system. Meaning there is no point of having the mk4, unless you want the full OEM retrofit as well.

I run my car without the mk4 navigation unit.

Under the cd changer in the trunk, you will have a slot for the bm53 and the tv tuner. You may need the silver clips the screws go into. Same as the ones on the cd changer. Or just take them off the cd changer, as it has 4 of them. The bm53 does require the L shape little bracket.
                        I have attached a photo of it.
                        Perfect. That explains what that little bracket I found on realoem is for.

So this one is not actually needed for the tv tuner?

Comment

Perfect. That explains what that little bracket I found on realoem is for.

So this one is not actually needed for the tv tuner?

Yes, the clip and nut. I can provide this, if you let me know before shipping back to you. I have loads in stock.

Comment

Do you happen to have a picture of all the modules needed in the trunk installed? I'm just curious how it's all mounted for what's being used

Comment

Following! I really want to get this for my e39. I recently purchased the loom and the car is equipped with a BM53. What else do I need that isn’t part for your package?
                              2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Do you happen to have a picture of all the modules needed in the trunk installed? I'm just curious how it's all mounted for what's being used

Sure, please see attached photo.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X