Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best E46 M3 Full Exhaust setup for the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eXpensiveGears View Post

And that's exactly what I wanted, to eliminate that mid section rasp and get a deeper rumble. But iy was loud enough that you needed to wear ANC buds? Then I'm a bit hesitant to even try going down this route.

I'm also looking at ONLY adding the new Rogue "el caliente" section 3, mostly for the weight reduction. OR finding a good Titanium/Inconel Section 3.
    No no. I needed ear buds with my current system. I just added TWO Magnaflow resonators in the mid section which helped on every level, tone and volume. I still prefer using NC ear bud because my current Agency Power muffler is too loud and the volume is too big for my NA car. I bought the set up thinking I was going Turbo...but that never happened. I sadly SOLD my perfect NA system that I was talking about.
    With that system, headers, Borla Mid and RE El Diablo muffler it was pretty quiet with my stock headers and stock cats. It sounded louder and better after DE-catting. I did NOT need NC ear buds with that set up, but it would drone a bit at 60 to 70MPH, so I drove at 80+...LOL.

I want to re buy what I originally had...headers(any kind), racing cats this time (tired of being gassed out in my cabrio), Borla mid, and RE El Diablo standard muffler. But this time with their optional electric cut out. That is a MUCH better option than your choice of the El Caliente Muffler which will be WAY too loud to have a conversation. Talking headache here. Plus there is a waiting list, likely a long one. They make all these in Taiwan, BTW.

You want the STANDARD El Diablo with their cut out. When you want to HOON it, just open up the cut out. Want to cruise?...Then CLOSE the cut out. https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...rol_p_236.html
    You will have NO problem finding a "good" Titanium/Inconel muffler, just be prepared to sell a kidney to pay for it.
    At the very LEAST get rid of your section 2, and get a good mid pipe with at least two large resonators to get rid of that horrid s54 RASP!! Nothing better than the Borla for that IMO. Better than two resonators IMO. The Borla mid seems to be a unique design.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      AR20 & AR25 exact same thing, just that the cone tapers down a little further to 2" from 2.5".

Better to buy the AR20 and let muffler shop cut it where they want so that it matches the 2.16-2.25 diameter of stock.

An AR25 would be fine for a full 2.5" or 63.5mm pipe.
      I used two huge Magnaflow resonators. They JUST fit under our cars. Nuttin fancy. Any good muffler guy who can weld SS can do this. I forgot to take a photo.
      They are pretty long, so some cutting was done for a perfect fit without them touching each other.
      MagnaFlow Performance Muffler 10445: 2.25" Inlet/Outlet, Universal Fit, Stainless Steel. I paid $65 each in 2018. They are $118 each now. They are straight through "mufflers" which in reality are resonators. Using two did quiet the noise a good bit, but mostly eliminated 90% of the rasp. (Borla mid pipe eliminates 99% of rasp)
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

​Direct pipe to pipe fit with most aftermarket mid sections which tend to be 2.25" OD. Mine mids are Chinese. They are good 304 SS, but had really tiny resonators. Chopped them out, and junked them. The Magnaflows really help. I am very glad I bought TWO of them.
      Last edited by BigDave; 09-22-2023, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simon_c View Post

Did the resonated SS x-pipe cut down the drone and/or make it not as loud? Would've loved to hear that setup
        First setup with Resonated SS section 2 had almost no drone. The oversize SS setup has zero drone. The Dixis just doesn't drone or have shitty frequencies or tones. It is an amazing section 3 for sure.
        Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 09-22-2023, 09:55 AM.
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by BigDave View Post

No no. I needed ear buds with my current system. I just added TWO Magnaflow resonators in the mid section which helped on every level, tone and volume. I still prefer using NC ear bud because my current Agency Power muffler is too loud and the volume is too big for my NA car. I bought the set up thinking I was going Turbo...but that never happened. I sadly SOLD my perfect NA system that I was talking about.
          With that system, headers, Borla Mid and RE El Diablo muffler it was pretty quiet with my stock headers and stock cats. It sounded louder and better after DE-catting. I did NOT need NC ear buds with that set up, but it would drone a bit at 60 to 70MPH, so I drove at 80+...LOL.

I want to re buy what I originally had...headers(any kind), racing cats this time (tired of being gassed out in my cabrio), Borla mid, and RE El Diablo standard muffler. But this time with their optional electric cut out. That is a MUCH better option than your choice of the El Caliente Muffler which will be WAY too loud to have a conversation. Talking headache here. Plus there is a waiting list, likely a long one. They make all these in Taiwan, BTW.

You want the STANDARD El Diablo with their cut out. When you want to HOON it, just open up the cut out. Want to cruise?...Then CLOSE the cut out. https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...rol_p_236.html
          You will have NO problem finding a "good" Titanium/Inconel muffler, just be prepared to sell a kidney to pay for it.
          At the very LEAST get rid of your section 2, and get a good mid pipe with at least two large resonators to get rid of that horrid s54 RASP!! Nothing better than the Borla for that IMO. Better than two resonators IMO. The Borla mid seems to be a unique design.
          Thanks for the explanation! And will adjust my thinking on the el caliente. I'm far and away to doing anything to my bone stock 06 zcp car. BUT I have a "Full Build" list that is 2 kidneys, a liver and possibly a lung $$$$ long. Eventually the goal is to make a 'Better than CSL' street car with all the things.

Comment

Anyone have any intel on this?

I figure we have some TX members here. Looks sorta cheapish but they seem to have the components in the right locations at least.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

I figure we have some TX members here. Looks sorta cheapish but they seem to have the components in the right locations at least.

maw
              Some light reading -

I suggest keeping the high quality, German made stock exhaust components that probably cost millions to develop and produce.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Some light reading -

I suggest keeping the high quality, German made stock exhaust components that probably cost millions to develop and produce.
                I remember reading this years ago. The stock exhaust is quite good, but I think the adaptation to USDM cats on the headers is the weak point; my cats were shot. I hypothesize they get too hot and are running on the edge of efficiency anyway. Happy to replace it all with SS 2.5" system, HJS cats. Love it. The euro setup was the original design, and since they have to build cars for California, we got the cat-in-the-header junk. But the build quality and design of the stock system is very well done otherwise.

Comment

maw
                  Uhhh.....

DNA Motoring exhaust systems are known for their super low price point. Due to the very low price of these DNA exhaust systems, be aware that fit and finish will not be perfect. You may be required to have the shop installing the exhaust do some modifications to make it fit better. Some systems fit perfect while others require some work. DNA warrants their exhausts for 30 days.

Comment

Supersprint baby. Full system with race cats (or none like mine), resonated x pipe and race muffler. Sounds the best without being obnoxious and barky.

Pricey though

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

Uhhh.....

DNA Motoring exhaust systems are known for their super low price point. Due to the very low price of these DNA exhaust systems, be aware that fit and finish will not be perfect. You may be required to have the shop installing the exhaust do some modifications to make it fit better. Some systems fit perfect while others require some work. DNA warrants their exhausts for 30 days.
                      😂🤣😅😂🤣😅

maw

Comment

Some light reading -

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...ust_System.pdf

you give BMW and the parts suppliers far too much credit, and conveniently gloss over some key stated objectives in that document;

The following development aims were defined for the new exhaust system:
                        • Optimizing the gas exchange with the exhaust system
                        • Consistent lightweight construction (target weight < 50 kg)
                        • Limitation of the heat capacity in the manifold, down pipe and catalytic converter areas
                        • Compliance with emission regulations (exhaust, noise)
                        Characteristic sporting exhaust sound
                        • Restrained, but sporting interior acoustics
                        • Crash-optimized exhaust tailpipes in BMW M look
                        • Long-term BMW quality
                        • Economical manufacture
                        • Exhaust manifold and catalytic converter usable as identical parts on the BMW M3, BMW M Roadster and M Coupe

A couple of those goals are subjective, and I would argue were the most colossal failure in the history of automotive exhaust development. And of course there's the aim that ALWAYS rules over everything, economical manufacture. They only spend as much on development as they can to fit into their target price point and profit margins.

Comment

SS Stepped Headers, SS Sport Cats, SS mid section with resonator, Esiemman Sport exhaust. But I am bias =)
                          Build Journal - E46 M3 CSL Conversion

Comment

5k for a full exhaust system that actually works isn't bad.

We got people out here spending 5k on strut bars fam.
                            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                            2005 BMW ///M3
                            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

maw
                              Unless they stole every piece, there is absolutely no way that is being sold for $263 at a profit. It's not 304 steel. They can lie about this because how are you going to prove the carbon content of their steel they sell? It's absolutely garbage even if it fit perfect. These eBay exhaust are notorious for not fitting and rusting within a year. Megan Racing's mid sections are the same crap and they rust quickly in a southern state with no salt. The headers were basically stolen and sold at $250.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Some light reading -

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/...ust_System.pdf

Added to the digital library… thank you… never knew it was a Meritor piece somehow.

FWIW, my baseline view is as you’ve articulated, with the possible exception of a change to section 3 for sound, or full Euro/CSL OEM. In the middle is just the middle IMO.

maw
                                Last edited by maw1124; 12-23-2023, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X