Yet Another e46/e39/e53 Airbag Recall Inbound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another e46/e39/e53 Airbag Recall Inbound

Sounds like some of the airbag replacements were actually old stock defective airbags.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	216357

Recall 19V-015: Only applies to vehicles with sport steering wheel. Check based on pictures I sent. Serial number needs to start with BAM xxx-1085 to require replacement.
    Recall 15V-318: If recall shows open by VIN, replacement is required
    Recall 19V-698: Check based on pictures I sent. Serial number needs to start with BAM to require replacement.
    Recall 17V-047: Check based on pictures I sent. Serial number needs to start with BAM xxx-1085 to require replacement.
    To check yourself, on cars that are a "maybe"...

If your airbag has a white stick on the back of it, you're in the clear:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.8 KB ID:	216358

If you have a yellow sticker on the back with BAM XXX... you need another replacement.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.3 KB ID:	216359

Recall forms attached below

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

This is irritating.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

maybe you mean... deflating
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Letters were already sent to owners in Europe last week, I am pretty sure mine has the yellow label despite having had the recall done once already.
        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

This is super annoying. Just checked my car and it doesn't match up with either picture. No serial number in the same format as above either:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230504_110422.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	216373
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Lol, procrastination pays off again.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Yessss, more damaged NLA trim complaints!
              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                Yessss, more damaged NLA trim complaints!
                Right? BMW Santa Monica fucked up some of my clips last time and basically just told me to go fuck myself
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Right? BMW Santa Monica fucked up some of my clips last time and basically just told me to go fuck myself
                  So, they will do appointments at your home. Last time they came to me, and I had the airbag pre removed for them so they couldn't fuck up my car.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I'll get it done at some point... so I can get a new wheel emblem
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

So, they will do appointments at your home. Last time they came to me, and I had the airbag pre removed for them so they couldn't fuck up my car.
                      Same. Guy who came out for the passenger side did the aribag install but then said I should reinstall all the trim myself. Even gave me spares of those white clips for the dash cover that are super easy to break
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Same. Guy who came out for the passenger side did the aribag install but then said I should reinstall all the trim myself. Even gave me spares of those white clips for the dash cover that are super easy to break
                        Ha, my guy gave me clips, too!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

At this point they should just send us checks for dealing with this dumb shit.
                          Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

I just saw this on TIS today. My car doesn't have an open campaign strangely enough. I guess some cars get the death devices removed and some don't.

I've done alot of these and I've never come close to messing up the trim. These aren't E90s that crumble. I also have a very specific trim tool for this job. Also, if you pre-remove the steering wheel airbag, the repair instructions tell you to use a T25 or something. A flat head is much better at getting the clips.

Also don't be dumb and disconnect your battery before touching the airbag.
                            Last edited by Arith2; 05-04-2023, 01:32 PM.
                            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
                              At this point they should just send us checks for dealing with this dumb shit.
                              They did, but you had to sign up for some dumb secret class action thing and it’s closed now. I missed it too despite going to the dealer three times for recalls. It was like $150 per vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X