No announcement yet.

FCAB - what’s best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely not as bad as Michigan roads but they have their spots. Most of the roads around me are in pretty good shape currently, but the winter was very mild so not much damage was done.
    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
      Can anyone chime in the NVH on the turner monoball? They claim there isn't but I'm not so sure
      I used the turner Monoball for 1 year. No NVH to complain about, but my car is gereally a bit on the louder side. The feel was great, beats any poly bushing by a mile and then some.
      I don't use them anymore because I use DTM Style control arms now, and these don't use standard shape fcab.

If someone in Europe wants a set, I may sell mine since they are just laying around...

Comment

Absolutely wouldn’t run poly here. Soooo many people have had failure, across brands.

I’m running Turner monoballs on the m3 coupe and oem Lemforder on the m3 wagon, and have no intention of changing either.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I've been using Turner Motorsport Poly 80A for around 30k and they still good, but will be switching to monoballs as I do not daily the car anymore.

Comment

Turner Monoball is good.
            Condorspeedshop one's feel great, add a bit of NVH but doesn't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
              Can anyone chime in the NVH on the turner monoball? They claim there isn't but I'm not so sure
              Can't see how it wouldn't, but your experience of it would likely depend on the rest of your suspension setup. I.e. it might be very noticeable on an otherwise stock car but not so much on one with race camber plates. Anyone on the forum using Turner monoballs on a mostly stock suspension?

Such a predicament for my DD: don't like the OE experience and don't want road salt and back road dirt in expensive Turner monoballs, but thanks to you lot I'm always nervous about my Rogue polys! (30k and counting...)
              Last edited by ethan; 05-07-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

The Turner monoballs are delrin isolated, so it's not straight metal on metal through (similar to a "street" camber plate vs a track one-- the street plates have isolation materials, in addition to the monoballs).

For a DD, I'd do OE(M) everything on the car than potentially RTABs.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                  For a DD, I'd do OE(M) everything on the car than potentially RTABs.
                  What would you recommend there? It's too late for me now, just had the RACP reinforced and replaced the subframe and all the bushing and RTABs with OEM, but curious what you would recommend

Comment

Originally posted by ethan View Post

Can't see how it wouldn't, but your experience of it would likely depend on the rest of your suspension setup. I.e. it might be very noticeable on an otherwise stock car but not so much on one with race camber plates. Anyone on the forum using Turner monoballs on a mostly stock suspension?

Such a predicament for my DD: don't like the OE experience and don't want road salt and back road dirt in expensive Turner monoballs, but thanks to you lot I'm always nervous about my Rogue polys! (30k and counting...)
                    I run Turner monoballs on KW V2s. The only time I feel them is where there are seams in the road. There is a noticeable transfer of harshness into the steering wheel. I accepted the trade off for the gain in the direct responsiveness I get from steering inputs.

Went through a ton of gravel in Maine and New Hampshire when I did a road trip with the M3, no issues yet. I grease them regularly to keep the dirt away.
                    2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Rein is the R in CRP (Continental-Rein-Pentosin), so not a cheap knockoff brand per se. Some of their stuff I've bought has been totally fine and clearly equivalent to OEM. But I've also heard of some parts being low quality. I don't know where the FCABs would fall
                      I may give them whirl then.
                      As far as poly, I have driven an M coupe (99) with poly FCAB's and the steering was very nice/direct, no annoying additional NVH that I could detect but those cars have a lot of NVH to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post

I run Turner monoballs on KW V2s. The only time I feel them is where there are seams in the road. There is a noticeable transfer of harshness into the steering wheel. I accepted the trade off for the gain in the direct responsiveness I get from steering inputs.

Went through a ton of gravel in Maine and New Hampshire when I did a road trip with the M3, no issues yet. I grease them regularly to keep the dirt away.
                        Good post - thanks. The Turner monoballs in my HPDE car are nuts, but they went on at the same time as the MCS gear, ZHP rack, and sticky tires, so wasn't sure exactly how they'd feel on a more normal car. Sounds like I'll probably be gettng a second set eventually then.

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
                        I may give them whirl then.
                        As far as poly, I have driven an M coupe (99) with poly FCAB's and the steering was very nice/direct, no annoying additional NVH that I could detect but those cars have a lot of NVH to begin with.
                        Yeah, I definitely prefer the poly steering experience to OE too (though it's not as good as the monoballs, albeit probably more isolated), but I'd also hate to have one fail on a winter cross country drive in South Dakota or something. I'll be sure to notify the forum when I become the next poly FCAB victim...

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

What would you recommend there? It's too late for me now, just had the RACP reinforced and replaced the subframe and all the bushing and RTABs with OEM, but curious what you would recommend
                          I'd go with one of the monoball options. I'm using Turner's sealed monoball and am quite happy with it. A lot of people here (including Obioban I think) are using the Synchro Design Works unit. Dinan's another good (but expensive) option. If I were buying today, I think I'd go with CMPAuto's assuming no major COVID delays etc.

Avoid poly like t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶g̶u̶e̶ covid

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

Anything sealed with high quality bearing should be good, but I think CMP and Dinan have the best design-- with them being equal, and CMPs being considerably cheaper.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

I'd go with one of the monoball options. I'm using Turner's sealed monoball and am quite happy with it. A lot of people here (including Obioban I think) are using the Synchro Design Works unit. Dinan's another good (but expensive) option. If I were buying today, I think I'd go with CMPAuto's assuming no major COVID delays etc.

Avoid poly like t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶g̶u̶e̶ covid
                              Second this, I have Syncho Design Works since 2017 installed, they are awesome much better than any poly i had prior, close to 40k on them right now and no noises at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Anything sealed with high quality bearing should be good, but I think CMP and Dinan have the best design-- with them being equal, and CMPs being considerably cheaper.
                                Wow! those are both quite the premium over OEM. dont think I would have splurged either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X