Steering Rack Rebuild ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GT_M3 View Post
    davidinnyc how much are you into this for so far excluding tools? I’m interested in giving this a shot soon as my POS rack doctor rebuild seems to be on its way out.
    Sent you a DM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

One of each of the above three? Thanks.
      Yes, correct
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by davidinnyc View Post

Sent you a DM.
        Got it. Thanks! Very thorough. Very interested to hear how the final product is.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I think green is e46 m3
          You're right. Saw the tag color on my steering rack in my rod bearing DIY.

Comment

Just saw this video, seems like another good reference for anyone attempting this rebuild: https://youtu.be/Gh22cQBrgb8
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
              Can someone remind me which cars and/or steering ratios correlate with the different colored tags? I used to know but have forgotten over the years. I know E46 M3 ZCP and Z4M coupe racks were highly sought after.
              1. Green is Z4M coupe, correct?
              2. Purple?
              3. Blue?
              4. Yellow is E46 330, correct?

Side note, this is an interesting thread related to the subject. Comprehensive Steering Information Thread
              These are all LHD racks:

Green tag z3 non-m 1.9L (2.7 turns lock to lock)
              Green tag is also e46M3 non-ZCP (3.2 turns lock to lock)
              Purple is from the US e46 325i (3.0 turn lock to lock)
              Yellow 712 rack is from a US e46 330i ZHP (3.0 turn lock to lock, but has better steering feel vs the purple above)
              Blue is e46m3 ZCP/CSL rack (3.0 turn lock to lock)
              E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
              Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Rebuild

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I might upload a video since I’ve rebuilt 6 steering racks already. Then you guys could see the tools I built to remove and reinstall the seals and bearings!

Comment

I might upload a video since I’ve rebuilt 6 steering racks already. Then you guys could see the tools I built to remove and reinstall the seals and bearings!
                    please do!!

Comment

After watching that video, I’m pretty confident that using anything other than the MSG seal puller that I use is the only way to remove the inner seal without damaging the internals of the steering rack. The aluminum is coated on the inside and any scratches will only introduce opportunities for future cracks and failure.
                      Last edited by davidinnyc; 05-02-2024, 07:50 PM.

Comment

A BRAND NEW BMW E46 LHD BLACK TAG 2.5 TURNS LOCK TO LOCK - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!(1) Why so much effort for a quicker rack?- As you probably know, we have been dealing with steering conversion parts for BMW E30, E36 and E46 every day for many years now. Our new and remanufactured goods are shipped all around the world on a daily basis. We talk to our customers, we sort their steering issues, we also advise whenever we can, to get the steering feel optimised as best as possible. Every customer's situation is assessed individually and we are trying to find a solution to simply make everyone happy. That is why we KNEW THAT there is a high demand for a super quick, very responsive steering rack. SO.. HERE WE GO! (2) What exactly is our BLACK TAG 2.5 TURNS SUPER QUICK RACK?-As you surely know there are plenty of myths regarding the number of turns, what rack fits where and what mods need to be done to get it all to work in your car. As we've stripped, assessed and built 1000s of E30s, E36s, E46s, Z3s racks, we feel more than comfortable to share our knowledge and debunk fake infos you can mostly read online.-Have you ever heard that the E46 ZHP yellow tag is the best rack? Or is the E46 CSL blue label even better? Purple tag? Quick Z3 rack? Linear and progressive? (there are no progressive racks in E30 E36 E46 and Z3 family - even if the rack splines are WORN and your Uni Joint has a play - it still does not make the rack progressive). Anyway, guess what? - our BLACK LABEL beats all of them!SOME TECHNICAL INFO NOW:- Our E46 BlackTAG 2.5 turns steering rack HAS ALMOST THE SAME parameters as ALL other standard E46 racks. It means things like: housing (shell), ports orientation, pinion length, pinion angle, pinion splines, threads, rod OD, mounting points, rod length and stroke ARE EXACTLY THE SAME as E46 purple, yellow, silver, blue and green tag. The only difference is obviously the number of turns. 2.5 lock to lock is a GAME CHANGER. It makes it the QUICKEST rack that you can possibly install in your BMW without heavy modifications implemented to your vehicle.Our E46 BLACK LABEL is incredibly nimble, precise and most importantly not twitchy. Even at high speeds, the steering is very predictable and easy to control. It is a life changer for drifters, racers and everyday drivers!!! *BMW E46 - It is a direct replacement / swap for every LHD BMW E46. *BMW E36 - It is a direct replacement for every LHD BMW E36 (please note you need to use vented inner tie rods! Cannot reuse your E36 inner ones.)*BMW E30 - It is a standard conversion procedure for every LHD BMW E30 as with installing any other E46 steering rack. If you have already installed the E46 steering rack into your E30 - it will be a direct and simple swap. No more mods and hassle required. - Product was developed in accordance with Australian Standards. All the work, design, material, specs etc are strictly discussed and approved by Australian Engineer.- This is a high performance product and because of a heavy abusive nature like drifting, racing etc - we offer 12 months warranty and as always - an endless after sales support. THIS PACKAGE COMES WITH A SET OF RACK ENDS (INNER TIE RODS) & BOOTS Please note that if you live in Australia every steering modification should be discussed / approved by an Australian Engineer. If you live overseas it is your responsibility to know the laws and legislations in your own country.You make all modifications at your own risk and you are liable for any damages you might cause yourself. This product should be installed by professionals.

I have been using this steering rack for about 3 months now and it's been great so far. Feels better then the Blue rack from BMW.

Comment

After watching that video, I’m pretty confident that using anything other than the MSG seal puller that I use is the only way to remove the inner seal without damaging the internals of the steering rack. The aluminum is coated on the inside and any scratches will only introduce opportunities for future cracks and failure.
                          Do you have a link to the tool?

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Do you have a link to the tool?
                            MS00058 - Slide hammer oil seals extractor (servicems.eu)$335.00

You'll need this extractor tip. Note: I bought an extra because these tend to get damaged pretty easily by the mechanism itself, not necessarily from the oil seals or the rack. The inner bulb is squeezed between two metal lips and starts to wear.

MS00059 - Slide hammer head (servicems.eu)$50.00

Total: $385.00
                            (shipping is included in the prices above - they might be priced differently today but that's what I paid)

It's not the most expensive tool for these cars but it certainly is one of the more expensive one-time use tools.
                            Last edited by davidinnyc; 05-03-2024, 10:32 AM.

Comment

For the pinion seal, I had a 7/8" fiberglass dowel created so I could use that as a "pusher rod". There's no need to buy the pinion seal extractor that MSG sells. You could probably get away with a 7/8" wooden dowel from Home Depot, too.

To install the seals I fashioned two PVC "insertion rods" (not sure what to call them) so that they would hold the seals steady while they are slid into both the steering and pinion tubes. I wouldn't use the steering rack to install the inner seals like the two more popular videos show because, well, you don't want metal marring the inside of the tubes. I'm actually pretty shocked at the use of the flat-head screwdrivers for anything inside of the tubes because the internal coating is VERY delicate. I would know because I bought a cracked steering rack to practice on and you can easily, EASILY damage these things if you're not patient and careful.

Comment

Working...
                              X