Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK Conversion-- let's figure out how to fix the dust boots/seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
    Do the Porsche guys have this problem? If so, what do they do?
    Yes, they either let the dust seals disintegrate or replace with an aftermarket BBK. I think certain GT3s also have this problem - https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...tive-caps.html

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      Update: High temp silicon seals held up!
      (https://racingbrake.com/bp-404bs/)

Car was doing double duty, running in instructor and advanced group, back to back, all day. He was not running backing plates.

Disclaimers; 50-60 deg ambient and summit point raceway (not that hard on pads), so not WORST case scenario-- but I'm stoked. Will be installing this winter.
      Is this the solution, or have I missed something?
      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post

Is this the solution, or have I missed something?
        Seems like others have still been having issues.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I started going back through this topic from the beginning. For context I followed Ian's link to Ohio Performance Solutions, and it looks like something has changed in the last year. Anyone ever heard of this manufacturer? https://www.ohioperformancesolutions...-rebuild-parts
          Last edited by D-O; 08-07-2024, 06:21 PM.
          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Nobody has heard of Frenkit? If their claim is true 300 C seems pretty stout - how hot do the pistons get?
            Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
              I started going back through this topic from the beginning. For context I followed Ian's link to Ohio Performance Solutions, and it looks like something has changed in the last year. Anyone ever heard of this manufacturer? https://www.ohioperformancesolutions...-rebuild-parts
              Someone needs to contact them because they were out of stock for a long time. Not sure if that’s a new/different supplier.
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

After over four years of searching for a company to produce high-quality alternatives to the brake caliper rebuild scene, We are pleased to announce a partnership with Frenkit S.L. out of Navarra, Spain, who agreed to start a new performance product line to cater to the motorsport community.

At the onset of 2019, continuing well into the COVID era, we began to see the quality control, materials composition, and packaging of “high temperature” caliper rebuild kits becoming subpar. Thus began our mission to find a manufacturer who would produce the products we and the motorsport community needed. Many manufacturers refused to meet with us as; however, in 2021, a company based out of Spain reached out with an inquiry to expand its product offerings in the US market.​

All Frenkit Performance silicon boots have a temperature range of -40°C to +300°C compared to EPDM temperature range of -40° to +160°C.​

Rebuild kits to include pistons should be here in a week.

Nice to be back.

Mike
                High Temp Caliper Rebuild Kits For Brembo Calipers; Caliper Pistons
                www.ohioperformancesolutions.com
                2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp​

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Challenger_Approaching_Mr._Game_%26_Watch_%28SSBB%29.png
Views:	143
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	275434

Nice.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Just the beginning… I just wish we would have kept all of our research back then. good times.

Comment

First Pistons arrived! I'll get the details up on the web hopefully this weekend..

28/30
                      28/32
                      30/34/38
                      30/32/34
                      32/32
                      34/36/38
                      34/34
                      36/40
                      36/44
                      40/44
                      44/44​

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5714.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	275718

Comment

So who's gonna be the test subject for these?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Sounds like it's your turn

Have a fresh set of girodisc boots that I'm gonna swap in before the next track day to try and quantify the effectiveness of the Bryson scoops. If they don't survive, the OPS ones are next on the list.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

It’s weird that Girodisc boots are a popular solution for cracking OE boots in the Porsche GT world, but they don’t work in our application. Are the 345mm rotors too small?
                            Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                            Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Frenkit has been in the business a long time; Just not in the States. We used to buy from Centric but they went south and seems as though they took Stoptech with them. Maybe not. That's who we used to use when we made the brake brackets for the BBK's for so many back on M3forum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 12.59.30 PM.jpeg.png Views:	0 Size:	855.7 KB ID:	275762

(Spain TCR Cup)

Thanks for the welcome Ian! Glad to help the community out!

Mike
                              Last edited by OPS; 08-17-2024, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                                It's weird that Girodisc boots are a popular solution for cracking OE boots in the Porsche GT world, but they don't work in our application. Are the 345mm rotors too small?
                                In total heat capacity sense they are small, being only 345mm (which is not bad), but they are also only x28 thick, most bbk applications run x32 at least. It's only a few mm, but it's a big donut area. And I'm sure I already posted on CSL style cooling inefficient design with semi floating pins.

Girodisc rotors are a much better design and have performed much better for me with their proper cooling and increased vane count (data points on pad wear, not boiling fluid, temp paint and/or stickers on rotors/pads/calipers, etc).

Sidenote for all, FCP now carries Girodisc rotors. You can't find them using category filters because you can only filter by left vs right and Girodiscs are sold as pairs, so do a keyword search. Word of caution and take it as you will, rotors last a lot longer than you think (think years), vs pads which need to be replaced every few track days.

Did Girodiscs solve my problem with broiled boots? No. Remember, pretty much everything goes south once you got your pads below 50%. And I got the full works at this point with no shield, cooling ducts, ti pistons, ti 1mm shims, Girodisc rotors, silicone boots, etc. I'm tired of swapping the boots, so I'll sit out on trying these .

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X