Slon Workshop E46 M3 Carbon Front Triangulating Reinforcement Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My quick thoughts:

(I've installed both the front brace and rear wall)

*Disclaimer* = the others who have done these upgrades (also posting in here), are likely more sophisticated than I am in terms of determining any changes in drive experience.

That said, to consolidate my impressions so far, "slop" in the chassis feels somewhere between moderately reduced - to - meaningfully reduced. I don't want to go on record and say the enhancements are 100% on the meaningful side of the spectrum because that probably sounds like I am justifying the high price tag for these items.

To phrase in a possibly different way, the car certainly inspires additional confidence/performance with respect to driving it harder in more frequent situations..

Comment

Originally posted by Advorsor View Post
      My quick thoughts:

(I've installed both the front brace and rear wall)

*Disclaimer* = the others who have done these upgrades (also posting in here), are likely more sophisticated than I am in terms of determining any changes in drive experience.

That said, to consolidate my impressions so far, "slop" in the chassis feels somewhere between moderately reduced - to - meaningfully reduced. I don't want to go on record and say the enhancements are 100% on the meaningful side of the spectrum because that probably sounds like I am justifying the high price tag for these items.

To phrase in a possibly different way, the car certainly inspires additional confidence/performance with respect to driving it harder in more frequent situations..
      Thank you for your Honest review

Comment

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned. How much, if at all, does this brace reduce clearance to the engine underneath. 1. Compared to the stock strut brace in the front and 2. under the cabin filter in th eback. Does the new modified cabin filter housing provide clearance for the rear of the brace or is the brace below where the OE carbon filter housing would be?

Curious if this is installed does it meaningfully reduce clearance for an engine swapped car with an intake on top of the engine.

Comment

Finally had a chance to get my car reassembled, with the rear wall installed. Hoping to be able to take her for a spin tonight!

Upholstry work is very much not my forte, but it's the trunk, which I've always looked at as the business end of the the car, that doesn't need to look immaculate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5894 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.2 KB ID:	245357

Stupidly, I didn't think to take a picture from the front, and now the child seat is installed... so I can't.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Finally got around installing my carbon wall as well.

2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post

While those rods probably worked better, Obioban use of a s85 v10 head is such a flex.
              E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
              Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                ​ Finally had a chance to get my car reassembled, with the rear wall installed. Hoping to be able to take her for a spin tonight!

Upholstry work is very much not my forte, but it's the trunk, which I've always looked at as the business end of the the car, that doesn't need to look immaculate.

​​

Stupidly, I didn't think to take a picture from the front, and now the child seat is installed... so I can't.
                Not sure what people are talking about when they say the rear plate isn't as noticeable as the front brace-- to me, it's just as impactful to the driving experience, in all the same ways! It also has an unexpected side benefit, that I'm getting notably less sound transmitted from the trunk to the cabin. That may sound like stating the obvious, since I literally put a wall between them, but enough sound deadening was removed to install it that I expected it to go the other way. Related: I'm pretty sure this is actually a net weight removing mod, once you factor in the sound deadening that must be removed to install it.​

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

While those rods probably worked better, Obioban use of a s85 v10 head is such a flex.
                  Without a doubt, heinzboehmer wins best install setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=227937&d=1691169036.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	245623

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

If "best" means "most overcomplicated", then I agree!
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I'd miss the passthrough where I stuff my wheels, jack, and tools when heading to the track.

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
                        I'd miss the passthrough where I stuff my wheels, jack, and tools when heading to the track.
                        I did consider that a bunch before embarking on this. That said-- I always put all 4 track tires in the seat, and my bins/jack/chair in the trunk. So, I don't think it's going to impact that.

... and outside of track use, where the child seat comes out, I haven't actually been able to fold my back seats down for 4.5 years anyway, because of the kid (baby/child seat).

For the first 8 years I owned my M3, it was my only car. In that era I needed the fold through, so this wouldn't have been viable. Since I've had other cars to use for more practical needs, I don't really feel like this is a compromise.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                          If "best" means "most overcomplicated", then I agree!
                          What do you mean "if"??
                          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                          Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                          Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

I find it amusing that all of us purchased this rear wall 2 years ago during the group buy, but somehow everyone is simultaneously getting around to installing it now.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                              I find it amusing that all of us purchased this rear wall 2 years ago during the group buy, but somehow everyone is simultaneously getting around to installing it now.
                              Yeah it's funny how that ended up working out.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post
                                Hey Slavik, awesome. Can't wait to hear your impressions of it and hopefully see it in person someday.

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X