Slon Workshop E46 M3 Carbon Front Triangulating Reinforcement Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Hey Slavik, awesome. Can't wait to hear your impressions of it and hopefully see it in person someday.
    Hey Bryan,

Looking forward to another drive. Just trimmed it out this weekend. Here are some pictures.

Last view before the seats go in.

Seats are in

...and since I no longer need the pass through ski bag, I left a little surprise for myself in case I want to see the wall. 😊
    2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post
      Hey Bryan,

Looking forward to another drive.
      We'll get another drive planned and it will be with more then 2 weeks notice 😁

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post
      Last view before the seats go in.
      This state of reassembly looks pretty good to me actually. Removing the rear vertical seats for a track weekend wouldn't look out of place at all. I strangely like this a lot!
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Definitely for track it will be in this configuration, but since I take my kids for mountain drives most of the time, I need the use of rear seats.
        2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Amazing product, sharing some views and feedback:

Conclusion: both the front and rear end upgrades make a HUGE difference. Car feels much more on its toes, the time of "setting up" the suspension to make a turn is greatly decreased, front end feels excited and ready to turn in, and significant improvement in decrease in road noise.

Background: I spent 3 hours driving my M3 down to PA and then spent 30 minutes driving Ian's back. Our cars are virtually identical in setup with the exception of the Slon strut brace and trunk plate (suspension settings and mods in particular are virtually the same, done by the same two people). I can't think of a better back to back comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Surge709 View Post

Conclusion: both the front and rear end upgrades make a HUGE difference. Car feels much more on its toes, the time of "setting up" the suspension to make a turn is greatly decreased, front end feels excited and ready to turn in, and significant improvement in decrease in road noise.

Background: I spent 3 hours driving my M3 down to PA and then spent 30 minutes driving Ian's back. Our cars are virtually identical in setup with the exception of the Slon strut brace and trunk plate (suspension settings and mods in particular are virtually the same, done by the same two people). I can't think of a better back to back comparison.
            This has been so cool to observe, watching everyone install these and offer their POV is fascinating. Days like these are when I wish I had bought a coupe (sometimes).
            | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

Originally posted by siamkazi View Post

This has been so cool to observe, watching everyone install these and offer their POV is fascinating. Days like these are when I wish I had bought a coupe (sometimes).
              I love verts. The problem is that it's like a 5-10 year replacement added cost on top of rod bearings. The e90/f82 hard top verts seems like best of both worlds though. I had an e46m vert too as my first M car like 9 years ago. Since then I've also had a z3m so definitely got love for the verts. I did the replacement with friends and it was a pain in the butt.
              ​​​​​​ They just feel right, but don't like stomaching the extra cost.
              ​​​​
              Last edited by simonnim; 01-10-2024, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post

I love verts. The problem is that it's like a 5-10 year added cost on top of rod bearings. The e90/f82 hard top verts seems like best of both worlds though.
                ​​​​
                But the hardtop verts are m5 weight..

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

But the hardtop verts are m5 weight..
                  I really liked your analysis at the beginning of the thread in terms of putting a numerical value in the changes felt. This part had me thinking: "Maybe I can have it all..."

"I’ve been racking my brain to figure out how to convey what the experience change is like, and I came to what I think is the perfect analogy.
                  BMW E46 Convertible 10,500
                  BMW E46 Coupe (w/folding seats) 12,500
                  According to BMW, the non M coupe is 19% more torsionally rigid than the non M vert. We don’t have numbers for the M vert (we know the M3 coupe is 18,500 nm/deg), but it’s probably a safe assumption that it’s also ~19% less rigid than the M3 coupe.

This brace has measured an increase of 18-20%, depending on the car—so it’s bang-on identical to the increase in going from a vert to a coupe.
                  If you’ve driven both vert and coupe e46s, you know the exact difference this brace makes, and you’ll know it’s not at all subtle—the more rigid chassis car rides better, handles better, turns in better, has better feedback, is quieter, and is more responsive."​
                  | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

Just for some context here-- Sergei's car is set up as identically as you can imagine to my car, other than the Slon parts (which will likely be going in shortly, after driving my car with them). He has been working on my cars, and I have been working on his cars, for almost 20 years.

He drove 3 hours to where I was, and then almost immediately drove my car. The most back to back possible back to back comparison.

He does point out something I think I failed to fully put into works in my original post. With a stock car, you kind of turn in, wait for the car to take a set, and then drive the car through the corner. I previously had assumed that waiting for the car to take a set was the tires rolling over. With the Slon parts, that taking a set period is significantly reduced-- which makes me think what I was actually feeling was the chassis loading up/flexing as far as it was going to flex for the load being applied by the corner.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by siamkazi View Post

I really liked your analysis at the beginning of the thread in terms of putting a numerical value in the changes felt. This part had me thinking: "Maybe I can have it all..."

"I’ve been racking my brain to figure out how to convey what the experience change is like, and I came to what I think is the perfect analogy.
                      BMW E46 Convertible 10,500
                      BMW E46 Coupe (w/folding seats) 12,500
                      According to BMW, the non M coupe is 19% more torsionally rigid than the non M vert. We don’t have numbers for the M vert (we know the M3 coupe is 18,500 nm/deg), but it’s probably a safe assumption that it’s also ~19% less rigid than the M3 coupe.

This brace has measured an increase of 18-20%, depending on the car—so it’s bang-on identical to the increase in going from a vert to a coupe.
                      If you’ve driven both vert and coupe e46s, you know the exact difference this brace makes, and you’ll know it’s not at all subtle—the more rigid chassis car rides better, handles better, turns in better, has better feedback, is quieter, and is more responsive."​
                      I know I'd do it

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I love verts. The problem is that it's like a 5-10 year replacement added cost on top of rod bearings. The e90/f82 hard top verts seems like best of both worlds though. I had an e46m vert too as my first M car like 9 years ago. Since then I've also had a z3m so definitely got love for the verts. I did the replacement with friends and it was a pain in the butt.
                        ​​​​​​ They just feel right, but don't like stomaching the extra cost.
                        ​​​​
                        Agreed, it's a bittersweet relationship but love them nonetheless!

Comment

Our cars are virtually identical in setup with the exception of the Slon strut brace and trunk plate (suspension settings and mods in particular are virtually the same, done by the same two people). I can't think of a better back to back comparison.
                          I’m surprised someone else hasn’t mentioned this. If the cars were brand new and absolutely identical down to tires, tire pressures, weight, suspension it might be a close comparison. Otherwise just many variables change things.
                          Sadly on a worn twenty year old chassis, with respect, it doesn’t work that way.
                          My background with chassis testing is with Dan Gurney’s race teams decades ago. I’m sure others know this aswell.
                          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                            I’m surprised someone else hasn’t mentioned this. If the cars were brand new and absolutely identical down to tires, tire pressures, weight, suspension it might be a close comparison. Otherwise just many variables change things.
                            Sadly on a worn twenty year old chassis, with respect, it doesn’t work that way.
                            My background with chassis testing is with Dan Gurney’s race teams decades ago. I’m sure others know this aswell.
                            Tires, tire pressures, weight, and suspension are the same on our cars.

Chassis wise, mine should be the more tired of the two-- I have 70,000 more miles, including probably 4x the track miles.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The e90/f82 hard top verts seems like best of both worlds though.​​​​
                              You don't want a hard top. A replacement top is about $25,000 and is made to order. The last time I checked, the E93 hard tops were no longer available. Even if you do get a replacement hard top...installation is an absolute nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

You don't want a hard top. A replacement top is about $25,000 and is made to order. The last time I checked, the E93 hard tops were no longer available. Even if you do get a replacement hard top...installation is an absolute nightmare.
                                Wow, didn't know they cost that much. Is there a common breaking point? Maybe they have solutions out there to fix it. Asking for future me.

Besides that, it's still much more fun with a top down than not!

Comment

Working...
                                X