DIY - E46 M3 Thermostat / Water Pump Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - E46 M3 Thermostat / Water Pump Replacement

CREDIT TO ORIGINAL AUTHOR Surk///M : saving what I can from m3forums cache as it is rapidly disappearing.

"Since my car started overheating recently..what I thought was just a thermostat, became a W\pump replacement also..so I thought I'd add this DIY for the E46 M3 T-stat and W\pump replacement. My car is a 2001 with 88k miles, so preventatively I would suggest owners consider doing this DIY anywhere from 75-100k miles.

TOOLS:

VARIOUS--3/8 ratchet, 8-10-13mm sockets, T50 Torx socket, Pliers,
    32mm wrench for clutch fan removal, BMW antifreeze x2, distilled water x2,

Thermostat Replacement ONLY >> Difficulty=4\10

BMW Parts req'd--
    11531318274 x1--Thermostat
    11531318402 x1--Thermostat O-ring
    11537830709 x2 --O-ring for water pipe
    BMW Antifreeze & distilled water, 1 bottle Redline Water Wetter (if in hot climates)

Jack the front of car up and support properly

1) Remove airbox completely and fan shroud, clutch fan removal (easier)
    2) remove 3 top 10mm bolts where engine hook is located at thermostat, have catch pail cans avail as their will be coolant spillage.
    3) remove both hose clamps to the thermostat housing (once shroud is removed for access)
    4 Remove the 3 long 10mm bolts securing the thermostat housing and pull towards front of car to dislodge sealing O-ring in back pipe.. Remove housing along with T-stat.. I marked the location of the original T-stat being it was in a 1:35 pm "clocked" location on the housing..
    4) Fit new T-stat and T-stat O-ring seal into housing, clock according to your markings.. replace rear pipe O-ring(s) lube with dish soap, re-install pushing fwd, and sequence torque 3 bolts to 11 Ft\Ibs or 15Nm.

5) SLOWLY refill system through reservoir using your 50/50 mixture of BMW coolant, bleed according to this helpful link http://home.kc.rr.com/blankpages/M3/...hange_DIY.html and monitor temp guage RECHECK after car has cooled\warmed over several few days. (3 drive cycles of overnight cooling)

WATER PUMP Replacement >> Difficulty level=5\10

PARTS:

11517838159 x1 W\Pump
    11517831099 x1 Gskt
    11537830712 x2 O-rings at w\pump sides

1) Follow above T-stat removal that will expose the W\Pump.. Remove the 4x 10mm w\pump pulley bolts, relieve the belt and tension by disconnecting the belt at the tensioner..After you remove the belt pulley, you will see 5 x10mm bolts that secure the w\pump (1 is hidden directly under the shaft) pull the w\pump fwd, while pulling the leftside water pipe feed outwards (Left side) with your free hand.

2) Now is a good time to consider a Complete Coolant Flush especially if like me I had leftovers from my impeller in my old coolant, also examine the condition of your idler & tensioner pulleys and belts..it's a good time to replace them also since you have things apart. Replace all the O-rings I noted in my pic, and pre-lube with liquid dish soap to aid in re-install.

Tighten w\pump securing bolts to 11 ft|Ibs or 15Nm .. re-install fan, shroud,airbox, lower panel etc..and refill according to above Flush DIY.

3) *OPTIONAL*--Since I had the engine drain bolt removed doing a complete coolant flush, I also decided to rinse the RAD and Engine block (through the t=stat housing to cyl head pipe using a garden hose) Was surprised to see lots of crap\sediment come out that I would've missed otherwise)

4) Reinstall in reverse of removal, refill system slowly, thoroughly bleed system and recheck for a few days after a few heat\cool cycles..

***Hope this helps those whom are DIY inclined,..I would give this a 4.5\10 for difficulty depending on experience, it's pretty straight fwd once everything is exposed. Takes approx 2-4 hrs depending on facility--take your time and enjoy the fact that once done..you $aved yourself $$$ and can spend it towards other important mods."

Thank you for posting this. I tried googling whether or not the GEBA water pump fcp euro sells is good enough to save $206 over the genuine bmw pump. Anyone have experience with a geba water pump?
    Garage:
    2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
    1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Circa Surviven View Post
      Thank you for posting this. I tried googling whether or not the GEBA water pump fcp euro sells is good enough to save $206 over the genuine bmw pump. Anyone have experience with a geba water pump?
      Geba has a metal impeller which should not disintegrate like the OE plastic one. However, a metal impeller will cause the bearing to fail sooner. So yeah both have their drawbacks.

I've personally have a Geba one for about 15k mi. No issues to report, but also haven't had it for too long.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I did this job a few months ago and followed this youtube. Other than making more of a mess than he did, the video was excellent for me. https://youtu.be/frDb4OuC0Oo In fact I've used MANY of his videos. Big fan.

I went with the Geba as well on the water pump based on price and reviews I was able to dig up.

Comment

Nice thread...👍

I had issues when I replaced my Water pump and Tsat due to incorrect o-rings that were sent with my order. This caused both a small leak and air to be sucked into the system causing over pressurization of the cooling system. I had to tear apart the entire cooling system to find the problem which in turn led to me putting this O-ring kit together.

Complete set of Hi-Temp Silicone and Viton O-rings for the S54 Cooling System, Power Steering and SMG Cap O-ring's also included. Replace the factory Buna orings with higher quality Hi-temp Silicone and Viton O-rings. These O-rings have higher temperature rating and are more resistant to compression set.

S54 Cooling System O-ring Kits!
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...cooling-system

1- Temp Sensor- 1
          2- Bleeder Screw- 1
          3- Exp Tank Return Line- 1
          4- Water Pump Lines- 2
          5- Exp Tank Cap- 2
          6- Radiator Hose Fittings- 2
          7- Water Pump Pipe “large”- 2
          8- Power Steering/SMG Caps- 2
          9- Water Pump Tstat Housing- 1
          Two squeeze tubes of Super lube.

14 O-rings and Lube for $48 Shipped via Priority 3 Day.
          Please send funds via PayPal as a gift or add the 3% Fee to Mrdestny@yahoo.com
          I have 100% Feedback on eBay so buy with confidence. Wolfn8tr on eBay:
          https://www.ebay.com/usr/wolfn8tr

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
          Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
          Evolve Eventuri
          - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
            Geba has a metal impeller which should not disintegrate like the OE plastic one. However, a metal impeller will cause the bearing to fail sooner. So yeah both have their drawbacks.
            The composite impeller for these cars are pretty durable and aren't known for breaking apart like those in the E36 pumps.
            I haven't seen the the Geba in person, but generally speaking, another advantage of composite impellers is they can make more complex blade shapes than possible with metal. More efficient volume pumping, less cavitation, lighter weight...

Comment

I've personally have a Geba one for about 15k mi. No issues to report, but also haven't had it for too long.
              Did you happen to change out your radiator hoses at that time? I'm looking at "rein" replacements because of FCP euro selling them for $15 vs. $87 for OE BMW (upper hose)
              Last edited by Circa Surviven; 06-04-2020, 05:46 PM.
              Garage:
              2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.

Comment

Did you happen to change out your radiator hoses at that time? I'm looking at "rein" replacements because of FCP euro selling them for $15 vs. $87 for OE BMW (upper hose)
                I didn't change them at the same time as the water pump, but I did change them about 2k mi ago. I got rein since they're a pretty reputable brand (it's the r in CRP). Haven't had issues, but also haven't had them on very long. However, I did read back on the old forum that the o-rings in the rein replacements leaked, so I replaced them (and all the other ones) with WOLFN8TR 's hi temp o-rings.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Nevermind, looks like my Geba pump is failing. Shitty pics, but it was dark.

Note the blue spray on the airbox, idler pulley, and IAT sensor.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20200717_234437.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.6 KB ID:	43651
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20200717_234512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	43652

Opened up my engine bay to find a spray of what appears to be coolant on the things around the water pump pulley (and on the inside of the pulley too, which is what I was trying to capture in the second pic). Coolant level hasn't dropped appreciably, but it definitely looks like a leak from the pump bearing.

I did take off the belt to check the pump for play and it was minimal. If I had to guess I would say it had about 1-2 mm of play. I cleaned everything up and will monitor over the next few days to see if the leak continues.

Comment

I will add that another big component of proper cooling is heat exchange and to do so efficiently your cooling fins on the radiator and oil cooler have to be clean.

And I don't just mean pulling off a few leaves that you see stuck in front of them, i mean all the bugs, tiny rocks, sticks, feathers, dirt, etc. If you have air compressor at home, blast them from the back to the front (against normal airflow). I dont have air at home so I did it with a hose/water. Afterwards I had a very therapeutic session with a jeweler's screwdriver picking out TINY rocks that got lodged in the fins that you cant easily see. At some point you need to just replace the heat exchangers because they get clogged.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
                      Nice thread...👍

[SIZE=14px]I had issues when I replaced my Water pump and Tsat due to incorrect o-rings that were sent with my order. This caused both a small leak and air to be sucked into the system causing over pressurization of the cooling system. I had to tear apart the entire cooling system to find the problem which in turn led to me putting this O-ring kit together.

Since I've been off the desktop version of the forum for a few months (now that tapatalk is avail it's much better), I forgot about your kit. I just did a portion of this job on my car, I'll see how it holds up and might hit you up, although I get everything from FCP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Nevermind, looks like my Geba pump is failing. Shitty pics, but it was dark.

Note the blue spray on the airbox, idler pulley, and IAT sensor.
                        Click image for larger version Name:	20200717_234437.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.6 KB ID:	43651
                        Click image for larger version Name:	20200717_234512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	43652

Opened up my engine bay to find a spray of what appears to be coolant on the things around the water pump pulley (and on the inside of the pulley too, which is what I was trying to capture in the second pic). Coolant level hasn't dropped appreciably, but it definitely looks like a leak from the pump bearing.

I did take off the belt to check the pump for play and it was minimal. If I had to guess I would say it had about 1-2 mm of play. I cleaned everything up and will monitor over the next few days to see if the leak continues.
                        Sorry to hear that man, but thanks for the heads up. It sounds like OE is worth the extra money.
                        Garage:

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                          I forgot about your kit. I just did a portion of this job on my car, I'll see how it holds up and might hit you up, although I get everything from FCP.
                          Sounds Good...👍
                          TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                          Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                          Evolve Eventuri
                          - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Sorry to hear that man, but thanks for the heads up. It sounds like OE is worth the extra money.
                            Yeah definitely.

Drove my car around like that for a couple months and the leak didn't get any worse though (although I was only driving about 40 mi a week). So at least it wasn't a catastrophic failure.

New OE pump is doing great, but it's only been on the car for a few weeks.

Comment

bimmer Sadly the coolant bleed instructions are no more. Do you have a copy of them?

Comment

Working...
                              X