F8X M3/M4 CF Drive shaft mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
    Update: carbon driveshaft has been successfully completed. Will be picking it up tomorrow and weighing it. I should have driving impressions in the next few days.
    Awesome!

Any chance you got weights with the e46 flanges on?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Awesome!

Any chance you got weights with the M3 flanges on?
      I will weigh it tomorrow when it's in hand.
      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Just took a peek eBay. Used carbon f8X Driveshafts seem to have gone up in price already 🤣

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Just took a peek eBay. Used carbon f8X Driveshafts seem to have gone up in price already 🤣
          Savages

Comment

Glad I got one of the ones for $170 😅, are we starting a Game Stop trend 🤣😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Radekxpl View Post

Glad I got one of the ones for $170 😅, are we starting a Game Stop trend 🤣😂

Lucky!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240203_172226.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	251968 Here's the invoice for parts and labor for everyone to check out and refer to.
                What are they welding to? Or do they bond an insert to the carbon and weld to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                  Interesting.

Back in 2015, S55's were snapping these things so BMW went back to metal driveshafts lol.

I took my DSS CF one out because it wasn't balanced correct, if anyone has this finally installed, I'd like to know who you used and if they would do it for all of us.
                  IIRC there was a recall on those.

I might do this for my E9X M3. I have an account with a rebuilder. Not sure if this is their thing but I'll have to ask. This place will turn around a metal DS overnight so they should be relatively quick.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

What are they welding to? Or do they bond an insert to the carbon and weld to that?
                    F8x driveshafts have metal end where the oe flanges are welded from the factory anyway so this is pretty straightforward procedure of cutting off oe flange and welding e46 flange back on to appropriate length then balance the driveshaft, also the f8x oe driveshaft has balance weights attached to the metal end pieces of the shaft therefore no need to mess with any part of the carbon material of the oe driveshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

IIRC there was a recall on those.
                      Disregard, didnt to post this.
                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by SliM3; 02-10-2024, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radekxpl View Post

F8x driveshafts have metal end where the oe flanges are welded from the factory anyway so this is pretty straightforward procedure of cutting off oe flange and welding e46 flange back on to appropriate length then balance the driveshaft, also the f8x oe driveshaft has balance weights attached to the metal end pieces of the shaft therefore no need to mess with any part of the carbon material of the oe driveshaft.

You don't even need to hack-up your stock drive shaft. The weld-on splined stub and tri flange can be sourced separately, per Ethanols post above.

I'm going a different route than the traditional guibo/tri flange but purchased the weld-on splined stub and a weld-on 1350 yoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Update: carbon driveshaft has been successfully completed. Will be picking it up tomorrow and weighing it. I should have driving impressions in the next few days.
                          did you left front f8x extending, which allows easier install? i think this thing can add some weight, and config without it would be lighter.

Comment

Does anyone have converted weights yet?

Comment

Also cant wait for the measured weight difference. Already ordered a shaft that i found locally for 160 could not resist

EthanolTurbo seems to have already done the job. Have you taken weight measurement already?

Comment

Originally posted by Slonik View Post

did you left front f8x extending, which allows easier install? i think this thing can add some weight, and config without it would be lighter.
                                Not sure tbh.

As for weights, sorry guys. My wife wasn't able to pick it up on Friday when she was nearby so I won't be able to pick it up and weigh it until Monday. Will update the thread as soon as I can.
                                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Working...
                                X