F8X M3/M4 CF Drive shaft mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Thanks for the detailed info here regarding balancing your shaft LOL.

All kidding aside I'll call you in a day or two to decide as I know a few places I can get the DS from too. It'll all come down to budget for me. Thanks brother
    They said a 3-4 day turnaround. I have to work on sending them the specifics to get pricing. A rebuild used to go for $600-ish plus $150 to modify plus core charge. They don't have to replace the u-joints or center bearing. If I had to take a wild guess...$500 to weld the end on and balance? Its not hard...they usually turn a modify and rebuild around the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

They said a 3-4 day turnaround. I have to work on sending them the specifics to get pricing. A rebuild used to go for $600-ish plus $150 to modify plus core charge. They don't have to replace the u-joints or center bearing. If I had to take a wild guess...$500 to weld the end on and balance? Its not hard...they usually turn a modify and rebuild around the same day.
      Alright buddy I'll give you a call soon.

Comment

Food for thought: driveshaft is vibration free up to 8k RPM in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. It only vibrated at 80 mph in 6th gear and it was around 3k RPM the other night. Will test further. If it was the driveshaft wouldn't it vibrate at high RPM in any gear?
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
          Food for thought: driveshaft is vibration free up to 8k RPM in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. It only vibrated at 80 mph in 6th gear and it was around 3k RPM the other night. Will test further. If it was the driveshaft wouldn't it vibrate at high RPM in any gear?
          I was thinking this as well.
          2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

I checked with my local shop, they said no problem. But, I'll have to exchange it for another since the side of mines looks slightly damaged. They said about the same cost as the other invoice placed here a few pages back. I don't want to release shop but apparently according to the shop that I take my car to claimed they're the 'best' around here.

I'll test and see how the results are.
            Last edited by simonnim; 03-08-2024, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Negative. Driveshaft directly correlates to wheel speed. Engine is geared up through the transmission(really the other way around but that's not important). I.e. 8000rpm/4.227 in first, 8000rpm/2.528 in second.

60mph will always be a set driveshaft rpm, regardless of engine speed. This would only change if you had a different final drive ratio like a 4.10.
              Last edited by discoelk; 03-08-2024, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post

Negative. Driveshaft directly correlates to wheel speed. Engine is geared up through the transmission(really the other way around but that's not important). I.e. 8000rpm/4.227 in first, 8000rpm/2.528 in second.

60mph will always be a set driveshaft rpm, regardless of engine speed. This would only change if you had a different final drive ratio like a 4.10.
                Yes this. Driveshaft rpm is directly proportional to wheel rpm not engine rpm.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Projecte46m3 View Post

I was thinking this as well.
                  Sounds like the shop that did the balancing also thought the same thing, thus there is a problem at higher mph...

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Food for thought: driveshaft is vibration free up to 8k RPM in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear. It only vibrated at 80 mph in 6th gear and it was around 3k RPM the other night. Will test further. If it was the driveshaft wouldn't it vibrate at high RPM in any gear?​

That is correct however using this https://www.drive-lines.com/php10/dlrpm.php driveline calculator its only true to certain speed vs gear your in at the time
                    for example: ​using 275/35/18 tire size in this example 25.6 tire diameter
                    M3 traveling in 3rd gear at 80mph which would be somewhere near 7600 engine rpm the driveshaft should be around spinning at 1754 RPM
                    where
                    if you traveling at 80mph in 6th gear driveshaft spinning at 871 rpm so roughly half the speed when it was in 3rd gear at the same speed, something doesn't add up here as EthanolTurbo mentioned it wasn't vibrating at 8k in 3rd gear which in that gear it definitely was spinning faster than in 6th going roughly the same speed.
                    Even if your doing 60mph in 3rd gear it’s still is spinning faster at 1295 then in 6th at 80mph at 871

Given this information either there’s more testing need to be done to confirm thats it’s only vibrating at high speeds in lower gear or maybe person testing can’t detect vibrating in higher gears since the engine is at redline and there’s more engine noise nvh associated at that time as well compared to calm cruising in 6th or there’s something else going on there 🤔
                    Last edited by Radekxpl; 03-09-2024, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Driveshaft speed is directly correlated to wheel speed. Engine speed and gear do not matter. The shaft (heh) sounds out of balance or as someone else mentioned, the flanges are not welded true (misalignment issue).

Comment

Driveshaft speed is directly correlated to wheel speed. Engine speed and gear do not matter. The shaft (heh) sounds out of balance or as someone else mentioned, the flanges are not welded true (misalignment issue).
                        Even given what your saying is correct that still does not add up since this would mean going 80mph in 3rd gear would result same driveshaft rpm speed as going 80mph in 6th gear, given what our Tester has mentioned is true, that there was no vibration at 8k engine rpm in 1st 2nd, 3rd gears emphasis on the 3rd gear here since m3 in 3rd gear is doing well over 80mph close to redline 8k. This just proves Something it's not adding up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Another twist, if you are in 3rd gear at 7600 rpm at 80mph and then put the car in neutral and coast, does drive shaft stop spinning or even start spinning slower at idle vs 7600 while you are still traveling at 80mph?

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                            Another twist, if you are in 3rd gear at 7600 rpm at 80mph and then put the car in neutral and coast, does drive shaft stop spinning or even start spinning slower at idle vs 7600 while you are still traveling at 80mph?

Driveshaft does not stop spinning if you put car in neutral at any speed whether you going 80mph or 20mph it will continue spinning. That I know for a fact.
                            Which now I think about it 🤔🤦what Discoelk said makes sense is directly related to wheels speed, however it still doesn’t explain no vibrations at 80 in 3rd gear and vibrations 80mph in 6th gears since drive shaft would be spinning at the same rate no matter what gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Last edited by Radekxpl; 03-09-2024, 06:06 AM.

Comment

FWIW, I understand what you are saying. 3rd/8000 is a faster wheel/driveshaft speed than 6th/80mph. 3rd/8000 is closer to 100mph. In my limited experience, discerning drivetrain vibration at high engine speed and hard acceleration is difficult butEthanolTurbo would need to elaborate.

Comment

So, I finally got around to a longer drive with my car.

As for my CF Shaft, there are no downsides I could feel.

The car does feel much more direct, however I am driving a freshly rebuild and more powerful engine, so I am not fully attributing that to the shaft.

No more clunking. I did have quite a bit before and I have not done any changes to the tranny or diff since. So that's a plus.

Due to prior feedback above I also did some runs above 130kph/80mph. No vibrations.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X