No announcement yet.

Who's Using the DB9 Caliper Brackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just to clarify, the pad shape is the same as an 03-04 sti? (based on the link from zechkausen)

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
      just to clarify, the pad shape is the same as an 03-04 sti? (based on the link from zechkausen)
      They're the same pattern, but it seems most of the Aston brake pads are 15mm thick while most of the STI brake pads are 14.9mm. With that said, I used a 14.9mm pad (Centric Posi Quiet), and Zechkausen lists the same pad part number for both cars.
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
      Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

They're the same pattern, but it seems most of the Aston brake pads are 15mm thick while most of the STI brake pads are 14.9mm. With that said, I used a 14.9mm pad (Centric Posi Quiet), and Zechkausen lists the same pad part number for both cars.
        That variation is between pad manufacturers, not the pad shapes. Technically the Aston's pad shape is D1165, which is just a D1001 (STI pad shape) with a wear sensor cutout and a different pad material profile along the top arc. Centric, for example, specs both at 14.9mm. However, if you don't care about the wear sensor cutout, D1001 is going to be cheaper and more readily available. They are all 15mm or just below. Some manufacturers (Pagid 2487, for example) spec 16mm because they know there's extra room in the caliper.
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

That variation is between pad manufacturers, not the pad shapes. Technically the Aston's pad shape is D1165, which is just a D1001 (STI pad shape) with a wear sensor cutout and a different pad material profile along the top arc. Centric, for example, specs both at 14.9mm. However, if you don't care about the wear sensor cutout, D1001 is going to be cheaper and more readily available. They are all 15mm or just below. Some manufacturers (Pagid 2487, for example) spec 16mm because they know there's extra room in the caliper.
          Super helpful
          Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
          Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newton22 View Post
            I run DB9s. I ordered from VBT in 2018.

Edit: Not sure why it rotated the image for me

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_20210308_200221.jpgViews:	0Size:	97.9 KBID:	253708
            Hey I sent you a PM, question for ya thanks!

Comment

Got a pair of brackets for sale if anyone is interested:

This front brake adaption kit allows the fitment of Aston Martin DB9 Calipers to your E46 M3. I previously had a full set I purchased from Vagbremtechnic and there was a safety recall on the aluminum carriers. These new ones are high strength zinc coated steel. What you see is what you get. $185 shipped within US. Add 3%

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Very helpful indeed. I wonder if maybe since you are in the industry, do you guys have a master list of which cars have any given shape? A complete list of D1001 and D1165 applications for example?
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I would just look brake pad fitment lists up. Most part sites would show what vehicles a certain part number goes to.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

getting any closer to producing the brackets?

Comment

In case anyone really wants the VAGBremtechnic kit, I was able to order one (am in Denver) using a mail forwarding company (my.forward2me.com) and it was pretty straightforward. Ordered July 6, package arrived this morning via Fedex
                      Last edited by aapilcher; 07-15-2024, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Just a side note: The Aston Martin DB9 front rotor is 30mm thick and when you use it on our 28mm rotor, the pistons are pushed out a bit more. I think this was pointed out by mrgizmo in another thread. While the new setup works, the brake pad life should probably not be fully utilized due to the 2mm difference. Probably negligible but just putting it out there.
                        Last edited by Epsilon; 07-16-2024, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                          Just a side note: The Aston Martin DB9 front rotor is 30mm thick and when you use it on our 28mm rotor, the pistons are pushed out a bit more. I think this was pointed out by mrgizmo in another thread. While the new setup works, the brake pad life should probably not be fully utilized due to the 2mm difference. Probably negligible but just putting it out there.
                          I'm having a set of 325x30mm rotors made by Coleman…wish me luck 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                            I use titanium shims on mine
                            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                            X