The Ultimate CSL Airbox Filter options/questions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ultimate CSL Airbox Filter options/questions thread

I am likely opening pandora's box here based on a thread that i've read, but i've decided to go ahead and ask for your opinion anyways

I hope this thread can help people in the future make the correct decision when it comes to selecting the correct air filter for their CSL airbox.

Here is what I know:
    1. BMC filters seems to be oiled from factory
    2. OEM BMW BMC filters seem to not have any oil on them, though some say it's very little and goes unnoticed.
    3. Oiling a filter will muffle some of the sound
    4. Getting a foam filter is silly, don't do it, just don't, the risk is not worth the reward. I do not see a scenario where the Karbonius air filter is a choice for street driving.

What I do not know:
    1. Turner Motorsport, has their own version of the CSL air filter​. It is much cheaper than the OE variant, is it any good, and most importantly, is it worth paying more for the OE variant?
    2. Pros/cons of oiled vs non-oiled (can of worms, i know)
    3. Anything else anyone should know about?

Any issues with Karbonius ITG filter?

Comment

I have never used it, but, i've heard horror stories in general of foam filters.

Comment

I've used it for 1 season and totally no issues. But haven't cleaned it yet.

Comment

Do Not get a foam filter
          stick to BMC OE BMW and ECS new Filer.

Comment

All information i'd LOVE to know. There seems to be so many options on the market.

Karbonius
            Evolve
            Turner
            etc..

Comment

I have got the Turner Motorsport version of the filter and keep you guys posted on my thoughts on it (non-oiled)

Comment

I went with OE filter for the Karb airbox...mind you, none of it is installed yet
                /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

OE BMC from Schmeidmann
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I’ve got the OE filter with a karbonius box. Have had no issues and the box sounds and works the way I’d want it to!

Comment

Additional info on filters. There are P54 version of CSL filter with less filter material, part number 11618299563Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	914.1 KB ID:	255392

Comment

with the ridiculous price of BMW filter, the Turners seem like a good option going forward

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
                          with the ridiculous price of BMW filter, the Turners seem like a good option going forward
                          I bought it, i will keep people posted once the box is in.

Comment

There is more to the intake than just the box if going for a "OE" setup. Also not sure if this was ever figure out but if not running cams, there was some odd idle drop issues with stock cams. Sorry not following forms like in the old days.

Parts are what is needed for the "full change" but prices are NOT right as that is when I ordered.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	256037
                            Build Journal - E46 M3 CSL Conversion

Comment

Isn't there a csl tune for the full csl minus conversion-cams?
                              Like a legit plug and play tune?

Comment

Working...
                              X