The Ultimate CSL Airbox Filter options/questions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M3dragon View Post
    There is more to the intake than just the box if going for a "OE" setup. Also not sure if this was ever figure out but if not running cams, there was some odd idle drop issues with stock cams. Sorry not following forms like in the old days.

Parts are what is needed for the "full change" but prices are NOT right as that is when I ordered.

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	256037

Isn't there a csl tune for the full csl minus conversion-cams?
    Like a legit plug and play tune?​

Comment

Originally posted by inlinesix123 View Post
      Isn't there a csl tune for the full csl minus conversion-cams?
      Like a legit plug and play tune?
      The stock CSL tune modified with the non-CSL cam offsets is pretty much plug and play. The cam offsets can be changed with TunerPro software.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

The stock CSL tune modified with the non-CSL cam offsets is pretty much plug and play. The cam offsets can be changed with TunerPro software.
        Thank you for confirming this!
        This was going to be my path as well, since i have the headers and US motor.

Do you happen to have any links on this?
        I am hellbent on trying it myself even if I fail.

Comment

Originally posted by inlinesix123 View Post

Thank you for confirming this!
          This was going to be my path as well, since i have the headers and US motor.

Do you happen to have any links on this?
          I am hellbent on trying it myself even if I fail.
          Could really use a sanity check to make sure I'm doing things right: This week I converted to CSL airbox and euro headers. I swapped to running Terra's modified CSL base tune with the airbox and everything ran great. But then after installing the headers, things started to go south pretty hard and I'm having serious problems

Comment

Danke!

Comment

Turner sells 2 different versions of their CSL filter, oiled and non oiled, most likely to ensure they cash in on people that can't decide between the 2

the release of their filters conveniently coincided with them nearly tripling the price of the OE CSL filter. luckily market forces brought that back down to the normally exorbitant pricing (>$200).

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                Turner sells 2 different versions of their CSL filter, oiled and non oiled, most likely to ensure they cash in on people that can't decide between the 2

the release of their filters conveniently coincided with them nearly tripling the price of the OE CSL filter. luckily market forces brought that back down to the normally exorbitant pricing (>$200).

Fantastic news for the market, glad that these scalping prices are calming down. Quite disgusting to be honest.
                Paying upwards of 300 dollars for an air filter is a crime.

Comment

The air box to be clear to do it right is go from a MAF to a MAP sensor. Most issues are from people not doing the MAP sensor change. You could run the car with out a tune but then you would be running rich is my understanding as the MAP sensor is not sending the same results "obviously" .

As a note you can do a MAP conversion on any air box which does seem to provide better results for non CSL boxes.
                  Build Journal - E46 M3 CSL Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by M3dragon View Post
                    The air box to be clear to do it right is go from a MAF to a MAP sensor. Most issues are from people not doing the MAP sensor change. You could run the car with out a tune but then you would be running rich is my understanding as the MAP sensor is not sending the same results "obviously" .

As a note you can do a MAP conversion on any air box which does seem to provide better results for non CSL boxes.
                    This right here. I wish I’d done it that way from the get go because of the drivability I had after an Alpha N tune. Not to say that alpha n tunes don’t work out, but what having a box on my car in terms of driving was like was not what I was expecting.

Comment

I’m on my first filter, so no comparison. I have a Turner box I installed a couple months ago with their non-oiled filter. I don’t have any negative feedback.

I will probably try another option next just to experiment and see if the filter is part of the reason I have such a difficult time fitting the box pieces together. There is limited space between the strut tower, yet the Turner box design requires a bit of clearance to assemble. There are other variables in this problem (e.g. engine mounts and engine position, intake boots, design flaw, etc.), so I’m not sure of the cause.

Originally posted by Notan_S54 View Post

I wish I’d done it that way from the get go because of the drivability I had after an Alpha N tune. Not to say that alpha n tunes don’t work out, but what having a box on my car in terms of driving was like was not what I was expecting.
                      I have an Alpha N tune that drives better than the factory tune (with standard airbox and MAF). I went with Epic Motorsports, including a dyno tuning session.

Comment

edited
                        Last edited by ugaexploder; 03-08-2024, 12:12 PM.
                        /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

This account needs to be reported ASAP.

Comment

edited:
                            Last edited by inlinesix123; 03-08-2024, 11:48 AM. Reason: This was replying to a bot, bot was flagged+banned.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post
                              I'm on my first filter, so no comparison. I have a Turner box I installed a couple months ago with their non-oiled filter. I don't have any negative feedback.

I will probably try another option next just to experiment and see if the filter is part of the reason I have such a difficult time fitting the box pieces together. There is limited space between the strut tower, yet the Turner box design requires a bit of clearance to assemble. There are other variables in this problem (e.g. engine mounts and engine position, intake boots, design flaw, etc.), so I'm not sure of the cause.

I have an Alpha N tune that drives better than the factory tune (with standard airbox and MAF). I went with Epic Motorsports, including a dyno tuning session.
                              Better? Interesting as my drivability was meh for normal street driving, but was great for mountain spirited driving. Could it maybe be that yours was put on a dyno and cleaned up and my tune was completely remote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bot post has been removed and user has been permabanned. Thanks for the flag.

Could I ask those of us who quoted the post to edit the quote out? I’d do it but I don’t like the idea of editing people’s posts for reasons other than rule violations.
                                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                                Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                                Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Working...
                                X