Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to run catted section 1 for CA smog ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
    I'm running Euro catted section 1 and it passes smog. All O2 sensors are plugged in. The harness was extended so they could reach.
    I'm running a Euro section 1with an extended harness as well. Also have a tune. No issues smoging the car last month.
    Last edited by 174bpm; 05-05-2024, 03:29 PM.
    2004 E46 Imola Red M3 Coupe
    2015 F56 Pepper White Mini Cooper S
    2018 W205 Polar White C300 AMG Night Edition

Comment

another data point here - i passed smog with no issues recently with my rear o2s coded out using martyn's tool. stock cats and o2s are installed but i just couldn't get the cat monitors ready and was tired of trying to do the drive cycle.

Comment

This does make me wonder why we're all going through the trouble of hacking/modifying the harness to run the post-o2's? Just for completeness? Aftermarket cat wouldn't pass visual anyways so can't be that?

heinzboehmer Tbonem3 gabylonfive zzyzx85 L0okitzRaj

Comment

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
          Just for completeness?
          Yeah that's why I did it. Didn't sit right with me to leave the system half operational (even though it doesn't really make any practical difference with how I drive my car).
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

This does make me wonder why we're all going through the trouble of hacking/modifying the harness to run the post-o2's? Just for completeness? Aftermarket cat wouldn't pass visual anyways so can't be that?
            To pass California smog
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I think it’s combination of people wanting completeness, and it’s what everyone is used to from way back.

To me, either way you run euro cats are technically not legal because they aren’t North American factory spec, in the factory location as CA smog requires. So why go through the trouble…. But to each their own. I pass smog and that’s all that matters to me.

Comment

Originally posted by L0okitzRaj View Post

I think it’s combination of people wanting completeness, and it’s what everyone is used to from way back.

To me, either way you run euro cats are technically not legal because they aren’t North American factory spec, in the factory location as CA smog requires. So why go through the trouble…. But to each their own. I pass smog and that’s all that matters to me.
                Yeah thanks again for chiming in with this. Saved me a lot of trouble. I actually much prefer this route if it works as it's no work to reverse back to OEM.

Comment

Working...
                X