Where's your IAT? (CSL guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marksae View Post

Sorry, I should have worded my question a little better. I am currently running a CSL tune with the stock CSL IAT in its original location. I want to relocate the sensor using an e34 or e36 sensor. Will I need to recalibrate my ECU?
    What is the point of this instead of using the CSL IAT? Why not just relocate the original?

Comment

Originally posted by beyondm3 View Post

What is the point of this instead of using the CSL IAT? Why not just relocate the original?
      The other sensor is threaded/with a nut so mounting is easier and the sensor portion itself is less prone to breakage due to the difference in design.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

I relocated mine to the air duct below the snorkel/intake, it was after the one on the Turner box was heat soaking so Hassan recommended I relocate to around here. Has been pretty solid since:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240305_092428.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.7 KB ID:	256310
        Last edited by siamkazi; 03-05-2024, 08:45 AM.
        | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

Okay, I want to move mine to the area below the snorkel too. Looks like I will get the E34 or E36 sensor and rescale the sensor calibration using ECUWorx.
          2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
          1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
          IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

this the guy?

Comment

Yep, that's the one.
              2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
              1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
              IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

FCPEuro sells this one which is what I used: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-13621739510 for $17. It's the same scale as the e46m3 CSL IAT sensor.
                E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

to me the CSL sensor looks better as it would probably have a faster response time than the threaded brass one

Comment

How are you guys checking the IAT values? INPA or a "hidden" OBC function?

Sorry for the noob level question

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post
                      How are you guys checking the IAT values? INPA or a "hidden" OBC function?

Sorry for the noob level question
                      INPA or Testo

Also, I'm not sure why the tuner is suggesting putting the Beru (E34) sensor down in the lower brake duct intake tract. The air going into the intake manifold won't be nearly as cold as that area. The engine will be reading a colder air temp and my guess is throwing more fuel into the engine.

On the other BMW engines using this Beru sensor, it is mounted either in the intake manifold or after the air filter. I think that the CSL snorkel or better yet the unfiltered section might be a better location to mount this air temp sensor.
                      Last edited by Slideways; 03-05-2024, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

INPA or Testo

Also, I'm not sure why the tuner is suggesting putting the Beru (E34) sensor down in the lower brake duct intake tract. The air going into the intake manifold won't be nearly as cold as that area. The engine will be reading a colder air temp and my guess is throwing more fuel into the engine.

On the other BMW engines using this Beru sensor, it is mounted either in the intake manifold or after the air filter. I think that the CSL snorkel or better yet the unfiltered section might be a better location to mount this air temp sensor.
                        Exactly. BMW Did loads of development with the IAT sensor in the airbox. Heatsoak or not, allowances in the original CSL tune must have been made to account for the IAT's position.
                        Last edited by ac427; 03-06-2024, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ac427 View Post

Exactly. BMW Did loads of developement with the IAT sensor in the airbox. Heatsoak or not, allowances in the original CSL tune must have been made to account for the IAT's position.
                          Yeah, CSL IAT sensor in its factory location works well, so no real reason to change it. If you search realOEM, the older E34 style sensor was used on cars from 1985-2000. The CSL style sensor was used on cars and bikes post 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by ac427 View Post

Exactly. BMW Did loads of developement with the IAT sensor in the airbox. Heatsoak or not, allowances in the original CSL tune must have been made to account for the IAT's position.
                            Fair points.

I'm curious what other symptoms people experience from the heat soaked sensor other than reporting of higher temps. I seem to have only read about higher temp readings and not so much lower performance and the like.

Comment

I was using the IAT that came with the turner box (this was back in 2021 at Autoclub Speedway here in SoCal in the early summer) when we started noticing idle hunting, lights on dash, and the motor running lean. If I recall, it was reading temps super high, was chatting with Hassan and the suggestion was that the IAT was heat soaking. Came back, used the current IAT and relocated to the duct, had Hassan make some changes, and it's been smooth ever since (including sessions at Buttonwillow etc). Mind you, this is my own story so I'm just sharing my experience.
                              | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

Working...
                              X