SMG to 6MT Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post
    Just realized I didn't put the car in neutral and the pump is already out. I hope I can get to those driveshaft bolts.🤦‍♂️
    You don't need to remove anything, you can shift it into neutral with the actuator installed, just pry it back (or forwards) into the neutral gate.
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Amazing! I will give that a try. I should have enough room to reach the selector rod. thank you gents
      2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
      2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
      2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Ha, nice to know I'm not the only one with such an issue (I had a pump die while the car was in reverse). You'll be surprised at how easily you can pop it out of gear just by reaching up in there. Same as how you can shift gears in a 6MT with the car off without clutching in.

I decided this morning on my walk that I'm actually just going to convert that car today after all. (A friend was going to buy it as SMG, but he's dragging his feet so screw it, I have the parts.) Has anyone who has done this job recently have a recommendation on a better technique for opening up the hole? Last time I used an angle grinder and ended up looking like someone put cigarettes out in my armpits. It was a mess... I figure maybe someone has come up with a quicker/simpler method in the last few years? (I guess I'm not wholly opposed to the hole saw method but that seems incomplete, plus wouldn't it be kind of impossible to mount and rivet the bracket in back?)
        Last edited by Dave; 04-11-2021, 06:09 AM.

Comment

A 3 1/4 inch hole saw. The actuator has to be out of the way for the pilot drill to have room. So I have not actually completed this yet lol.
          2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
          2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
          2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
            I decided this morning on my walk that I'm actually just going to convert that car today after all. (A friend was going to buy it as SMG, but he's dragging his feet so screw it, I have the parts.) Has anyone who has done this job recently have a recommendation on a better technique for opening up the hole? Last time I used an angle grinder and ended up looking like someone put cigarettes out in my armpits. It was a mess... I figure maybe someone has come up with a quicker/simpler method in the last few years? (I guess I'm not wholly opposed to the hole saw method but that seems incomplete, plus wouldn't it be kind of impossible to mount and rivet the bracket in back?)
            Yup, as stated above, definitely a 3.25" hole saw. Fast, easy and clean.

Comment

just called local dealer regarding this "700" switch... nothing till maybe JUNE lol.
              Has anyone found anything in North America??

Comment

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post
                just called local dealer regarding this "700" switch... nothing till maybe JUNE lol.
                Has anyone found anything in North America??
                I found a couple from junk yards. Check car-part.com and call around. I will be selling one of the switches I found very soon, so if you do not find one be on the lookout for my post.

Comment

Originally posted by gheorghe View Post

I found a couple from junk yards. Check car-part.com and call around. I will be selling one of the switches I found very soon, so if you do not find one be on the lookout for my post.
                  what part did you use in their lookup system to find the switch?

Comment

YES Please... if anything sell it to me now and I can use it asap next week... let me know

Comment

Just to clear it up.... if I only have a non- M clutch switch, will I still be able to start the car? It might take a while to get one and my project was about to get done next week.. hoping to maintain my timeline

Comment

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post
                        Just to clear it up.... if I only have a non- M clutch switch, will I still be able to start the car? It might take a while to get one and my project was about to get done next week.. hoping to maintain my timeline
                        you should be able to. I had intermittent starting issues with my switch but the car will start

Comment

Yup, as stated above, definitely a 3.25" hole saw. Fast, easy and clean.
                          I guess that part I knew; but the gunk on the mating surface for the bracket in back is still going to be there and need to come off... that's a grinder/brush job no matter what, right?

Maybe this time I'll buy one of those oven mitt-looking dog bite training suits to protect me

Comment

On the detent drilling side, I have a 23/32 drill bit which is .718 vs the 18mm which is .708 .... will this be ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

I guess that part I knew; but the gunk on the mating surface for the bracket in back is still going to be there and need to come off... that's a grinder/brush job no matter what, right?

Maybe this time I'll buy one of those oven mitt-looking dog bite training suits to protect me
                              For the coating under the tunnel I bought a small rotating wire brush attachment for my drill and cleaned it up. It flings crap everywhere but a wire brush cleans the metal up pretty quickly.

Comment

can anyone tell me the torque specs for the bellhousing and the trany?

Comment

Working...
                                X