SMG to 6MT Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Distinct View Post
    I'm a subscriber to this channel on youtube and they released a detailed and well filmed/hosted video on their SMG to 6MT conversion. I really like these guys and I thought the video is great.

This is part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDThhOoVGIc
    Excellent video, thank you!

Comment

Hi guys,

I converted a SMG to Manual and everything is fine except one thing. But first I would like to know if it's normal ISTA is showing the Transmission ECU in red in the ECU tree? Also if I check the codes in the DME, it says no communication with transmission ecu. No check engine light or cog light.
      I used martins tool to change the binary and coded the rest with ncs.

The problem right now which occurs randomly is that the car goes into limp mode when the DSC is triggered sometimes. For example DSC is off and I take a spirited turn which would let the car slide a bit, it would go in limp mode sometimes. However today I was trying to let it happen and was doing donuts and a little burnout and it worked fine, no limp mode.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by m3_sancho View Post
        Hi guys,

I converted a SMG to Manual and everything is fine except one thing. But first I would like to know if it's normal ISTA is showing the Transmission ECU in red in the ECU tree? Also if I check the codes in the DME, it says no communication with transmission ecu. No check engine light or cog light.

The problem right now which occurs randomly is that the car goes into limp mode when the DSC is triggered sometimes. For example DSC is off and I take a spirited turn which would let the car slide a bit, it would go in limp mode sometimes. However today I was trying to let it happen and was doing donuts and a little burnout and it worked fine, no limp mode.

Any ideas?
        Did you disconnect the SMG ECU?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post

Did you disconnect the SMG ECU?
          Yes, disconnected and removed the SMG ECU

Comment

Originally posted by m3_sancho View Post
            Hi guys,

Any ideas?
            Does anybody has an idea?

Comment

ISTA control unit tree will show the SMG as red because it decodes the VIN in the EWS module and then can't communicate with the module. AFAIK there is no fix for this without changing how the VIN is configured BUT it doesn't seem to cause any issues.

I suspect you have some coding issue going on, I feel like I've seen that communication fault when its not coded out entirely.
              '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

I would think simply removing the SMG option code from the VO should do the trick as far as the ISTA tree?

Sounds like the car wasn't coded at all based on the rest of his issues

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                  I would think simply removing the SMG option code from the VO should do the trick as far as the ISTA tree?

Sounds like the car wasn't coded at all based on the rest of his issues
                  Unfortunately it does not seem to be the case on the couple of dozen converted M3s, E46s (auto to manual) and E39s (auto to manual) they all retain the module (EGS/SMG) on the tree unless the EWS module is swapped with a manual car.

If you know how to go past that though, I would love to implement it as this really bugs me to see that module on the tree.
                  '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

Whats going on everyone. Been away for a whole and forgot some of the in and outs.

But I just wen to take the car out of storage and I soon as I crank it it starts and immediately dies. Like 1 healthy chug and die. Is there anything related to the swap it could be? Loose EWS wire or something? Everything looks good with the wires and worked fine before storage but if thats common for that ill rewire it. Or if its could be something completely unrelated to the swap.

Thanks for any suggestions!

EDIT: Nevermind. Pulled the MAF and started up. We good. Mind immediately goes all over the place haha
                    Last edited by SandeepM3; 05-16-2022, 02:00 PM.
                    2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                    2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                    2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

I haven't recorded any early signs of issues at start ups... I have encountered a couple signs of dying while pressing in clutch and letting the revs drop during upshift from a stop. i stalled it a couple times by just letting the rpms go too low... felt like there might be a leak somewhere or just a miscalculation by the dme.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post
                        I haven't recorded any early signs of issues at start ups... I have encountered a couple signs of dying while pressing in clutch and letting the revs drop during upshift from a stop. i stalled it a couple times by just letting the rpms go too low... felt like there might be a leak somewhere or just a miscalculation by the dme.
                        So confusing as I don't know this is a response to previous poster or this is a new problem you wanted help.
                        I think people should create a new thread instead of piggyback on this very thread.

Anyway I think you should check the clutch pedal sensor for correct part and the wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Unfortunately it does not seem to be the case on the couple of dozen converted M3s, E46s (auto to manual) and E39s (auto to manual) they all retain the module (EGS/SMG) on the tree unless the EWS module is swapped with a manual car.

If you know how to go past that though, I would love to implement it as this really bugs me to see that module on the tree.
                          EWS does store ZCS so that could be the issue on E39s (easy to overwrite though). Not sure about the E46 unless you're talking about 2001 models, in which case the same would apply (I'm fairly sure SMG didn't become a thing until MY2002 though). I'll dig into it a bit and see if the EWS module stores any other data that could be cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

My thoughts exactly.
                            hey guys I still don’t have a clear answer on what to do with the Gear Position Sensor. I installed it and id like to make it work. The only plug back there that would fit is the one that goes to the reverse light sensor. The SMG GPS sensor connector is an oval 4 or 6 pin, and there are two of them. The only other plug that is close by is the one that would go to the temperature sensor. Everyone makes it sound like this part is easy but I still don’t have a clear idea of what to do with this GPS. Please help before I give up and let it dangle!

this is the 6MT gear position sensor:

Gear position sensor

these are the old GPS plugs from the SMG:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	971551A3-B7B3-47BA-8A4C-9EAE0BD1F875.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	174644

Comment

You either have to buy a manual transmission wiring harness or get creative modifying your SMG harness which is well documented online.

Comment

Originally posted by RaliusM3 View Post
                                hey guys I still don’t have a clear answer on what to do with the Gear Position Sensor. I installed it and id like to make it work. The only plug back there that would fit is the one that goes to the reverse light sensor. The SMG GPS sensor connector is an oval 4 or 6 pin, and there are two of them. The only other plug that is close by is the one that would go to the temperature sensor. Everyone makes it sound like this part is easy but I still don’t have a clear idea of what to do with this GPS. Please help before I give up and let it dangle!
                                this is the 6MT gear position sensor:
                                When doing the smg to 6mt, how did you wire up the clutch switch signal? The clutch switch signal should be connected to the said GPS wire (one of the 2 wires) in series, and then have the other wire connected to DME X6002 (24pin connector) pin20. You could cut the 2pin connector off and solder the wires together, or find the correct connector and wire the wires up.

Comment

Working...
                                X