No announcement yet.

288/280 vs 280/272 cams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL if you can get them works well on the low end for the CSL airbox. However if you want to run a hotter cam, if you make the flap work, that removed the low end hesitation from what I remember.

I am pretty much the same as C//M accept running CSL CAMS and running the titanium springs. Heads were port, polished from Lang racing.

If you change cams, don't go cheap and just replace the rocker arms as you are already in there and the wear they have is a wild card that can fail. 2 cents.
    Attached Files
    Build Journal - E46 M3 CSL Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by M3dragon View Post
      CSL if you can get them works well on the low end for the CSL airbox. However if you want to run a hotter cam, if you make the flap work, that removed the low end hesitation from what I remember.

I am pretty much the same as C//M accept running CSL CAMS and running the titanium springs.

If you change cams, don't go cheap and just replace the rocker arms as you are already in there and the wear they have is a wild card that can fail. 2 cents.
      I wonder if a cam company would do a run of the CSL cams for us. I wouldn't know who to ask other than shrick or cat cams but I doubt they will.

Comment

Originally posted by C///M View Post
        I'm another member from the CatCams GB with no issues, an 8500rpm redline, track usage, and good oil analyses.

Full Engine Specs (for posterity's sake):

Head:
        - Ported Intake/Exhaust ports (mostly exhaust, stock intake couldn't be improved much)
        - Head decked
        - 288/280 cams
        - S62 pressure relief valves
        - Brand new OE S54 valve springs/retainers/etc
        - OE CSL exhaust valves ($$$)
        - BMW Motorsport P45 / P54 DLC rocker arms (NLA unfortunately)

NO CatCams Oil Bridge

Bottom:
        - Stock with WPC Treated OE S54 rod bearings

LiquiMoly 10-60 (moved from Castrol)

I will update if i see any concerns in a future oil analysis.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
        Have you dyno'd this setup? How many miles on the shortblock?
        '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by C///M View Post
          I'm another member from the CatCams GB with no issues, an 8500rpm redline, track usage, and good oil analyses.

Full Engine Specs (for posterity's sake):

Head:
          - Ported Intake/Exhaust ports (mostly exhaust, stock intake couldn't be improved much)
          - Head decked
          - 288/280 cams
          - S62 pressure relief valves
          - Brand new OE S54 valve springs/retainers/etc
          - OE CSL exhaust valves ($$$)
          - BMW Motorsport P45 / P54 DLC rocker arms (NLA unfortunately)

NO CatCams Oil Bridge

Bottom:
          - Stock with WPC Treated OE S54 rod bearings

LiquiMoly 10-60 (moved from Castrol)

I will update if i see any concerns in a future oil analysis.

Mind me asking what's the advantage for s62 pressure relief valve? Those rocker arms mustve cost a pretty penny! lol

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Have you dyno'd this setup? How many miles on the shortblock?
            Not yet unfortunately. I kept meaning to, but now I'm doing something really stupid to the car involving Karbonius' carbon side panels 🤦. I also have new 996 turbo injectors I would like to install, then get a dyno tune.

Prior to head rebuild, bottom had 114k ish (did treated rod bearings at same time as head). Engine now at 117k. It doesn't get a ton of use. I'm building a wheel-to-wheel car now too so it's going to get even less use unfortunately.

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post

Mind me asking what's the advantage for s62 pressure relief valve? Those rocker arms mustve cost a pretty penny! lol
            Sorry for the misunderstanding, the S62 relief valves are identical to the S54 valves, but you can't buy the S54 ones separately and the CatCams don't come with them. I forget which M3s come with the valves in the cams, so if your stock cams have them, you just swap them over. My 2004 did not have the cam versions with the relief valves.

If I recall correctly, the motorsport rocker arms were actually less expensive than the schrick versions at the time. I think I paid right around $1k. The CSL exhaust valves... Now those were expensive. Aftermarket titanium would have been a bit more than half.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

I wonder if a cam company would do a run of the CSL cams for us. I wouldn't know who to ask other than shrick or cat cams but I doubt they will.
              They would if we had a minimum of 10 paid orders. Not like I looked into this a while back LOL. The main advantage of the CSL cam profile was the low-end balance to keep the power band linear. Schrik makes a touch more power but moves the power band up.

CSL valves are also the wild card as the concave design does help scavenge the exhaust from what I remember. Again helping that low-end "bog" with the BIG OLD INTAKE lol.
              Last edited by M3dragon; 05-17-2024, 11:52 AM.
              Build Journal - E46 M3 CSL Conversion

Comment

Who would like to take the plunge?

Schrick DLC coated reinforced roller drag levers, set with 24pcs CP041513800S - Fits on models: E46 Z3 (E36) Z4 (E85) Z4 (E86)

/// 2004 SG/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post
                  Who would like to take the plunge?

Schrick DLC coated reinforced roller drag levers, set with 24pcs CP041513800S - Fits on models: E46 Z3 (E36) Z4 (E85) Z4 (E86)

Anyone have updates on the Schrick rockers being available?

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

Anyone have updates on the Schrick rockers being available?
                    Why not just have them sent off to get coated? By whom? That's the question.

Interesting infographic I found while looking.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	271.3 KB ID:	274541
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	76
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	274542​​

Comment

Working...
                    X