288/280 vs 280/272 cams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

What does vanos adaption have to do with the accuracy? I have seen ALOT of factory setups with massive vanos cam position adaption stored.
    Vanos adaption is only the difference that the vanos have to correct between crank position and the measured cam angle (via toothed wheel on the cams) in combination with cam Offset (from software, different factory values if you come from 0401 or let’s say 2701 version).
    So the adaption ist mostly based what offset you set in tune and how good you install them (aka how skilled you are and how good your tools are). You can determine the real accuracy of the cam position if you measure the peak lift point in correlation to the piston.

I’ve heard from problems with some bad cat cam batches, but my personal experience is good with cat cams (but only speaking of s54, habe no other cat cams installed). I had no issues on s54‘s.
    Oh i know how vanos adaptation works, I'm very aware of difference version of vanos adaptation values in different softwares.

What i talking about is actually the Cams been so of that you have to adjust maximum vanos target for vanos to work withing its range.

Stock cams are always within the tolerance of maximum adaptation targets.

I'm sure you are not alone with your experience. there are lots of people happy with their cat cams.

My personal experience have not been good with them. i spent too much time thinking it could be other issues later to find out its bad cam.
    Ive personally witness 3 cars with cat-cams which such a bad "accuracy" that i had to change the maximum adaption targets in for them to work.
    2 were on s54 the other one was an S85.

Before you think that it was an installation error installation was verified with an cam degree tool. Catcam was off past the acceptable software tolerance.
    spoke to couple tuners in Europe who has also witness the same issue.

I personally do not recommend them nor will i install them.

Schricks are bang on every single time. Not a single issue!

Whiles at it, here is one i did which didn't have cut threads for oil relief valve. These cams were also off past their maximum target.

P.S. I have new set (Never installed) of 288/280 Catcams for sale if anyone wants them for Cheap.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ZiMMie; 06-28-2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

Why would you mix and match random oil chemistry it makes zero sense at all. Sorry Using gear oil is nonsense it doesn’t have any real capability to deal with combustion byproducts as it’s not a requirement so will not last/protect long in an engine

Just Buy the correct oil with high pressure additive package suitable for the breakin job.

The s54 is nowhere near as hard on the valve train as what a pushrod v8 with SFT so the recipe for success is well publicised.

The issues with catcams was a production fault if I recall so occurrence of issues is actually still fairly small if the parts are made right.
      I'm not a chemical engineer nor is it my field of expertise.

what i posted is what I've experience on old rocker shaft with new cams. As you can see in the posted picture, it turn out to work great.
      i service other s54 "track cars" that used that break in process.
      They are on Schricks 288/280 with old rockers. I'll grab pics next time they are in for service.

Funny enough catcams actually suggested that recipe for installing their new cams and rockers with oil bridge.

if you have experience with other minerals oil share it.

Here is a close up picture of the lobe wear following that process on old rockers after 35,000km

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220629-001033.png
Views:	1108
Size:	815.4 KB
ID:	173949
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ZiMMie; 06-28-2022, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

I'm not a chemical engineer nor is it my field of expertise.

what i posted is what I've experience on old rocker shaft with new cams. As you can see in the posted picture, it turn out to work great.
        i service other s54 "track cars" that used that break in process.
        They are on Schricks 288/280 with old rockers. I'll grab pics next time they are in for service.

Funny enough catcams actually suggested that recipe for installing their new cams and rockers with oil bridge.

if you have experience with other minerals oil share it.
        no offense but many people just swap cams and go with their normal oil no issue so it doesn't mean much other than you are unlikely to have issues in the first instance. Nevertheless as a means to minimise risk this is what i would do based on the tribology, physics and chemistry, the more aggressive the cam profile the more important as it is less forgiving.

i always recommend new rockers as as it is a risk trying to break-in a worn rocker and new cam its best of the two parts have the roughness as specified by the manufacturer to bed in together
        • check / adjust valve clearances
        • cam/rockers shall be prelubed with assembly grease from reputable manufacturer
        • Use a breakin oil with appropriate ZDDP from same reputable manufacturer to ensure compatibility e.g. Driven
        • run engine at approx 2500rpm for 20min immediately on first start up varying rpm a bit to ensure good oil flow and take some load off the cam nose don't let it idle
        • drive as per normal and change breakin oil after the recommended mileage interval.
        • check valve clearances at the oil change interval (few hundred miles)
        • add you're normal oil of choice GTG
        Last edited by digger; 06-28-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

You went with 288/280 and new followers i assume?

Would someone be able to explain the main reasoning between new followers being recommended for 288s vs 280s?

Has anyone not done followers for 288s and found no issues, conversely what are the issues that arise from not doing them?
          That's the recommendation from the manufacturer whose input I'm more inclined to follow rather than anyone else. The only reason people choose not to install followers is due to cost, that's it.

What metric would one use to quantify "issues"? How would you know if you had an issue? What if you were down on power without realizing it?

The follow up question is what's best practices when installing new cams? And why?

PS would this practice rule out tuning the car on the dyno right after install?
          I would break in the cams first, what's the hurry?
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Cams question -

What about slightly used schricks (280/272) (hundred of miles, not thousands) combined with used followers (high mileage but very normal, no major noticeable wear)?

I see many people combining used cams and new followers or vice versa or new cams and followers.

but both used… what says yee? I’m assuming that’s the most risky pairing?

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

That's the recommendation from the manufacturer whose input I'm more inclined to follow rather than anyone else. The only reason people choose not to install followers is due to cost, that's it.

What metric would one use to quantify "issues"? How would you know if you had an issue? What if you were down on power without realizing it?

I would break in the cams first, what's the hurry?
              Yah man cost is definitely prohibitive sure, but if it means doing things the best possible way then ok. Im trying to gather as much information and also real life experience from sources like this forum. As ever there are differing opinions. My mechanic with loads of experience on Ms only, and building E46 M3 race cars with the parts in question has not used followers and those cars only see race tracks. Other sources close to me that I trust do the same with no issues. So after asking them and why, I'm looking for comparable examples and "how to's" in order to get a clearer picture.

It absolutely makes sense to me get both at the same time, just ... cost.

Lastly I was seriously asking about best practices as it relates to the break in procedure of cams as I was genuinely unaware. DLC install might also considerably add to the install complexity/time. Either way it's a pretty endgame setup for me so looking at all options, best options etc. for me and my use case scenario.
              2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

You went with 288/280 and new followers i assume?

Would someone be able to explain the main reasoning between new followers being recommended for 288s vs 280s?

Has anyone not done followers for 288s and found no issues, conversely what are the issues that arise from not doing them?
                I have 288/280s with my original followers and no issues thus far (20k miles on them I think?). I’m sure there’s some extra wear. I’m also pretty sure it won’t amount to a significant amount over the remaining life of the car.

Comment

Yah man cost is definitely prohibitive sure, but if it means doing things the best possible way then ok. Im trying to gather as much information and also real life experience from sources like this forum. As ever there are differing opinions. My mechanic with loads of experience on Ms only, and building E46 M3 race cars with the parts in question has not used followers and those cars only see race tracks. Other sources close to me that I trust do the same with no issues. So after asking them and why, I'm looking for comparable examples and "how to's" in order to get a clearer picture.

It absolutely makes sense to me get both at the same time, just ... cost.

Lastly I was seriously asking about best practices as it relates to the break in procedure of cams as I was genuinely unaware. DLC install might also considerably add to the install complexity/time. Either way it's a pretty endgame setup for me so looking at all options, best options etc. for me and my use case scenario.
                  So you've canvassed these opinions from several reputable sources you trust and are now asking the forum in hopes of what? How much advice do you need before you decide what to do?

Don't get them and be done with this agonizing dilemma bro.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                    I think the 280/272s are a better choice for cars that see any street use.
                    -Better power below ~7800 rpm
                    -can reuse stock followers, which makes install much easier (and cheaper)
                    -smoother idle

I wouldn't be tempted by the 288/280 setup unless I was doing an increase compression ratio and/or stroker and/or high revving (8700+ rpm) build. For a "normal" (full exhaust, CSL intake, etc) bolt on build, 280/272 is the way to go IMO.
                    Im on page one of this thread and was wondering if there is a dyne that shows the tq curve of these cams.

Also interested in your input on how the 280/272 feel with normal/spirited/track use.

Ill edit this if I get my answers in my research.

Comment

Originally posted by SFD87 View Post

Im on page one of this thread and was wondering if there is a dyne that shows the tq curve of these cams.

Also interested in your input on how the 280/272 feel with normal/spirited/track use.

Ill edit this if I get my answers in my research.
                      Dyno thread has numerous posts with various 288 or 280 setups.

On your point on how they feel, amazing. Dyno tune required for best results. Depending on your mod list you may also have to get higher flowing injectors. A lot is also dependent on the health of your setup too ie. Current compression. With all cams you lose some static compression, that's why the bug money builds include higher compression pistons and any accoutrements that those require.

Just FYI the notion that you don't need followers is now pretty much false. Both Schrick and Cat Cam will not warranty cam damage if you don't buy their full cam kit with followers (and oil bridge, drilled rocker arms for cat cams). I say this because I've been through this with Schrick based on this historical "data" with many members here.

Since COVID the metallurgy for the cam manufacturing process has changed. Followers should be included in this purchase price. If you love the S54 a cammed CSLed one is pretty much top of the food chain type shit.
                      2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

I saw numerous posts with the 288's but I dont want or need that aggressive of a cam.

Just ordered 280/272's. Ill also be installing ARP head studs in hopes this head gasket lasts me another 15 years

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
                          My personal experience have not been good with them. i spent too much time thinking it could be other issues later to find out its bad cam.
                          Ive personally witness 3 cars with cat-cams which such a bad "accuracy" that i had to change the maximum adaption targets in for them to work.

Bad accuracy?

Cams have lift and duration.

You're saying they are ground wrong?

2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                          2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

I saw numerous posts with the 288's but I dont want or need that aggressive of a cam.

Just ordered 280/272's. Ill also be installing ARP head studs in hopes this head gasket lasts me another 15 years
                            No longevity benefit to going off OE head bolts.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

No longevity benefit to going off OE head bolts.
                              So keep the OE head bolts? Wont they stretch with heavy track use?

I blew a head gasket on an s52 years ago from that.

Comment

So keep the OE head bolts? Wont they stretch with heavy track use?

I blew a head gasket on an s52 years ago from that.
                                They will not— that is not an issue on the s54.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X