No announcement yet.

288/280 vs 280/272 cams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as gears...everyone has their own opinion...best best is to try it out and go from there...you're going to get a mixed bag of reviews and a ton of opinions on what each person personally likes...
    2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Can anybody share the source information on where they verified that the BMW rocker arm PN 11-33-7-549-034 are DLC coated?
      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

My data point: 288/280 Cat Cams with new followers (oil bridge and E39 M5 pressure relief valves), Turner CSL airbox, Euro headers, stock section 2, El Diablo muffler, Alpha-N dyno tune by HTE. The dyno run before mods yielded 292whp. After mods and multiple runs, it peaked at 346whp so gain of 54hp. I just swapped to a more free flowing race muffler. I'm going to dyno the car again to see if it did anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jager911 View Post
          My data point: 288/280 Cat Cams with new followers (oil bridge and E39 M5 pressure relief valves), Turner CSL airbox, Euro headers, stock section 2, El Diablo muffler, Alpha-N dyno tune by HTE. The dyno run before mods yielded 292whp. After mods and multiple runs, it peaked at 346whp so gain of 54hp. I just swapped to a more free flowing race muffler. I'm going to dyno the car again to see if it did anything.
          Would it be possible to post a dyno?

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
            Can anybody share the source information on where they verified that the BMW rocker arm PN 11-33-7-549-034 are DLC coated?
            Would love to know this as well. It’s looking like I need to replace the head gasket so thinking of changing cams “while we’re in there”. The Schrick rocker arms seem to be on back order, so would be great if these were a good alternative….

Comment

Originally posted by arg617 View Post

Would love to know this as well. It's looking like I need to replace the head gasket so thinking of changing cams “while we're in there”. The Schrick rocker arms seem to be on back order, so would be great if these were a good alternative….
              The only source I can find is the website below. However, it's hard to tell if this guys claims are backed by a truthful source. I can't find much more info the P54 engine.

On this entry, I splurged and got a self of a set of big cams - sort of. We look at what BMW did with the CSL, we sit down for a 101 lesson on cams with the Americans. We move onwards and go bigger: I unbox my Schrick cams. 
              2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

I am many others have used the BMW 320i / 11-33-7-549-034 rockers without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
                  I am many others have used the BMW 320i / 11-33-7-549-034 rockers without issue.
                  Thanks for chiming in! Just wondering how you found out these parts are DLC coated? Google doesn't come up with any info on the P54 engine details. I know several owners have used them without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
                    Where can we source these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Randall921 View Post

Where can we source these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Seem to be completely unavailable.
                      '07 M Coupe - RAC RG63 - AutoSolutions - Bilstein PSS10/B16 - Arqray

Comment

Sorry I haven't kept up on the thread, but just looking at the last couple posts, I wanted to confirm, the rocker arms from the P45 and P54 (same parts) are indeed DLC rockers direct from BMW.

I don't have my documentation/research still on hand, but I used these with my 288/280 cams. I will double check the part number, I wasn't aware these were NLA.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M3KVU View Post
                          I'm very lucky that I have Paul Smith aka Polclaude here to dyno tune it after.
                          Is Paul still around for tuning work?

Comment

Hei everyone! I need some help, i have som wear on both my camshafts wich have done 174.000km, they need to be replaced and i am thinking to do 288/280 with new rockers from Schrick, but my problem is that Schrick is on back order until end of 2024 and they say among others that you can not use OEM parts. Any toughts?

is it a option to go for 280/272 cams? I see some places say you can use OEM as long as they are new. But here also i see some places mentions you «have» to use dlc coated from schricks

Comment

Originally posted by Snagg30 View Post
                              Hei everyone! I need some help, i have som wear on both my camshafts wich have done 174.000km, they need to be replaced and i am thinking to do 288/280 with new rockers from Schrick, but my problem is that Schrick is on back order until end of 2024 and they say among others that you can not use OEM parts. Any toughts?

is it a option to go for 280/272 cams? I see some places say you can use OEM as long as they are new. But here also i see some places mentions you «have» to use dlc coated from schricks
                              You don't have to use dlc coated rockers, but it's highly recommended. It doesn't matter what cam set you go with just make sure you use new rockers.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snagg30 View Post

The 280/272 is a good proven option, you'll get differening viewpoints whether you can reuse the stock rockers but IMO your cam is worn that to me says the rockers are suspect as well so replacement would be mandatory if you arent going to follow schricks requirements.
                                Last edited by digger; 03-23-2024, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X