288/280 vs 280/272 cams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post

I have not, but I've done enough cars to piece a clear enough picture of what to expect with each setup.With that said, cams aren't a magic bullet. The has to be in top shape otherwise obviously, I've seen stock cam cars make more than some cammed cars, and some cammed cars making 50 whp more( with similar state of tune barring cams)..so ymmv. But in general, the trend in power gain is as described above.
    To others who've asked, yes if I had to do it again, I'd still get the mods bit by bit. Cams, then airbox (or vise versa ) then exhaust etc... At the end of the day, what you really get out of this is the journey, the added performance is just a side effecet imho Also each individually add power on their own, and of course they work even better combined. At the end of the day, it's NA mods
    This is good to know. On everything I have built in the past (muscle cars) the OEM exhaust systems were so bad that there were no real gains to be had without tackling that first.

I would really like in increase torque between three and six thousand RPM. Do the 280/272 cams provide any increase in this range?

Jesse
    Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

I was under the impression that the "CSL hesitation" was something that only happened to MAP-less alpha-n setups? Or maybe I'm conflating two different problems. Is this something that happens on real CSLs?
      I have done so many CSL airbox conversions here in NZ for others and I have never ever had a case of the so called hesitation.

I even made a video for someone in the States privately of my CSL trying to replicate the so called hesitation at various gears from 3000rpm and have not been able to replicate it at all.

i have however managed to replicate it via an Alpha N tune I received from the UK so I do know what it is and what it feels like.

A correctly converted car with a healthy engine just doesn’t have this issue. Period.

I have had my converted M3 with the csl airbox also for just over 3 years now and it has 189k km and I have not been able to replicate this issue either with it.
      Last edited by NZ_M3; 06-06-2020, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Interestingly enough on one of the other forums I was on a guy who had a genuine CSL said occasionally he found little blips with it but never with the stock maf version when he had the regular m3
        Last edited by digger; 06-06-2020, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          Interestingly enough on one of the other forums I was on a guy who had a genuine CSL said occasionally he found little blips with it but never with the stock maf version when he had the regular m3
          Oh wow, that's new information. Maybe this isn't a much of an issue as it seems.
          2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by M3KVU View Post

What power did you get in the end mate ?
            Just created a separate thread with my build details and results. See below...

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...w-dyno-results
            2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Hey all, I'm kinda new to the cam world (it's teased me ever since I saw the group buy on the old forum)... I daily my car, so I'd like to go with 280/272- do I need to just buy cams and throw them in? Or are there any other parts I need to buy with 280/272s? I suppose tune as well.

Thanks guys. Some awesome information and knowledgeable guys on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by EzM3 View Post
                Hey all, I'm kinda new to the cam world (it's teased me ever since I saw the group buy on the old forum)... I daily my car, so I'd like to go with 280/272- do I need to just buy cams and throw them in? Or are there any other parts I need to buy with 280/272s? I suppose tune as well.

Thanks guys. Some awesome information and knowledgeable guys on this thread.
                There was a discussion on the first page of this thread on that. Personally I would always exchange the followers. Even though cams only rotate half the speed of the crank, it is still 4k rpm with these cars and I would not put anything in less than perfect state on it.

There is also an alternative to Schrick followers: E90 320is stock followers. Same design as S54, just coated from the factory. Seems BMW learned from something....
                These used to be quite cheap by comparison, but recently they have increase the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                  There is also an alternative to Schrick followers: E90 320is stock followers. Same design as S54, just coated from the factory. Seems BMW learned from something....
                  These used to be quite cheap by comparison, but recently they have increase the price.
                  Ehhh, can anyone else confirm this, and what does pricing look like?

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post

Ehhh, can anyone else confirm this, and what does pricing look like?
                    This is true, i have them in my motor. I paid around 45 euro per follower from Leebmann.

Comment

interesting find...

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                        I think the 280/272s are a better choice for cars that see any street use.
                        -Better power below ~7800 rpm
                        -can reuse stock followers, which makes install much easier (and cheaper)
                        -smoother idle

I wouldn't be tempted by the 288/280 setup unless I was doing an increase compression ratio and/or stroker and/or high revving (8700+ rpm) build. For a "normal" (full exhaust, CSL intake, etc) bolt on build, 280/272 is the way to go IMO.
                        Thoughts on whether there is any value in head porting with a CSL airbox and 288/280s or even 280/272s?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Thoughts on whether there is any value in head porting with a CSL airbox and 288/280s or even 280/272s?
                          Don’t really know definitively, but I’ve heard it said many times that there’s some room for improvement on the exhaust side but not much to be gained on the intake
                          side.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post

This is true, i have them in my motor. I paid around 45 euro per follower from Leebmann.
                            Sooo, about $40 cheaper per follower? That’s significant!

Edit: Nvmd, see the Schricks are available for around $70 ea, sooo...about a $20 savings per follower. Still pretty significant when you factor that you need 24.
                            Last edited by stash1; 06-07-2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I had the exhaust side ported on my head when my head was being built with 288/280 cams. (I also have a full SS exhaust with 2.5" sec 1 & 2.) The results were seen in my dyno graph, to which Andrew Lang and Paul Claudes both noticed. At ~6300 rpms my HP slope took a sharp curve upwards. I considered porting the intake side, but didn't because I kept the stock TBs. With a CSL intake you are already getting a lot more air flow to the engine. You might not see the difference with porting the intake unless you also did Dinan TBs, where you could match the new TB diameter. Or if you built the engine out and went with 14mm lift cams, to take advantage of the additional available air.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Don’t really know definitively, but I’ve heard it said many times that there’s some room for improvement on the exhaust side but not much to be gained on the intake
                                side.
                                Strange: I have a factory modified head from BMW Motorsport at home (from the original P54B32) and BMW ported the combustion chambers, the valve seats as well as the intake side. Exhaust was not touched. Wondering if I should get that done beofre installing...
                                Last edited by Altaran; 06-07-2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X