Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    The problem with using any old hardware that matches the thread size/pitch of the bleeders is that the threads alone will not stop fluid, it's the tapered "nose" of the bleeder that blocks the fluid port.
    Yep, that's exactly why I asked about the hardware used. I'll buy some cheap bleeders and use those to plug the holes then.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Who here uses this kit on track? Any downfalls? Reasons to avoid?

I am likely going with the freaky parts kit with 345mm rotors due to cost and availability, as well as not having to rebuild anything. Figure it's similar enough to the 996 kit so if anyone has experience tracking with the 996 kit, it should be similar with the FP kit.

I was curious to ask people who have tracked with this setup if there are any downfalls? Given that I'm currently on stock brakes, I assume the 345mm rotors + endless fluid + race pads should more than suffice, but wondering if the 28mm thick rotor is able to sufficiently handle heat or I should be looking for a more serious setup. FWIW I am not a track warrior, I'll do the occasional track day (maybe 4-5 a year?) with 15-20 min long sessions, and just want to make sure it is consistent throughout the session with no fade at the end. My car should be around 3150-3200 lbs, and will likely lose another 50-100lbs in the coming months.

I would love to do the AP racing 8350 kit, but given that it's nearly 2.5x the cost of the freaky parts kit after pads/taxes, seems like money can be spent better elsewhere (weight reduction, suspension, cooling). I don't mind spending the extra money if it will provide me with a better experience, but if it is unnecessary and something that I won't notice, then I would hate to allocate funds poorly. Wanting to avoid stoptech because of multiple horror stories of cracked rotors and poor QC.
      Last edited by fullyflaredd; 06-16-2022, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
        There are four options I found for seal and boot kits. Brembo, Racingbrake, Stoptech, and Centric. Porsche was not an option as they offer only the dust boots. The hardware I used was genuine Porsche, purchased primarily from Pelican. Hoerr Racing is good source for genuine Brembo parts. I also had 4 pistons I wanted to replace. Finding the pistons was a bit of a challenge.

Brembo/Porsche part numbers:
        Front Caliper, Dust Boot (36mm): Brembo Part #BRE-20.4872.44
        Front Caliper, Dust Boot (40mm): Brembo Part #BRE-20.4872.46
        Rear Caliper, Dust Boot (28mm): Brembo Part #BRE-20.4872.40
        Rear Caliper, Dust Boot (30mm): Brembo Part #BRE-20.4872.41
        Front Caliper, Piston Seal (36mm): Brembo Part #BRE-10.55955.56
        Front Caliper, Piston Seal (40mm): Brembo Part #BRE-10.55955.58
        Rear Caliper, Piston Seal (28mm): Brembo Part #BRE-10.55955.52
        Rear Caliper, Piston Seal (30mm): Brembo Part #BRE-10.55955.53
        Brake Bleeder (sold in pairs – 4 pairs req): OE Porsche Part # 930-351-919-00
        Front Caliper, (Left) Hydraulic Connecting Line: OE Porsche Part #996-351-961-00
        Front Caliper, (Right) Hydraulic Connecting Line: OE Porsche Part #996-351-962-00
        Rear Caliper, (Left) Hydraulic Connecting Line: OE Porsche Part #996-352-961-00
        Rear Caliper, (Right) Hydraulic Connecting Line: OE Porsche Part #996-352-962-00
        Brake Hardware Kit (Front): OE Porsche Part #996-351-959-01
        Brake Hardware Kit (Rear): OE Porsche Part #996-352-959-01
        Brake Pad Shims (Front): OEM Part #996-351-088-02
        Brake Pad Shims (Rear, 28mm): OEM Part #996-352-086-02
        Brake Pad Shims (Rear, 30mm): OEM Part #996-352-086-00

A complete set of genuine Brembo seals, dust boots, bleeder screws, and bleeder screw caps from Hoerr Racing came to $475.00 with tax and shipping. Time for more shopping.

Racingbrake offers seal and boot kits as well as stainless pistons. Their pistons will not accommodate brake pad shims, so this eliminated them for me. If you don’t care about using shims you may want to consider them.

After eliminating the Racingbrake pistons I did a lot of searching before I found out that Stoptech pistons are a direct replacement for the Brembo pistons. Zeckhausen Racing has a great page with all of the specs: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...Path=6446_6472 Before ordering I gave Zeckhausen a call to confirm that they would fit. Dave Zeckhausen was kind enough to spend about 35 minutes on the phone with me answering questions. He confirmed that the Stoptech pistons are commonly used in the 996 Brembo and took the time to explain that while Centric owns Stoptech, there is a difference between the Centric and Stoptech boot and seal kits. They both use the same boots, but the Stoptech seals are made to withstand the higher temperatures of track use. Because my M3 is never going to see the track he recommended that I go with the Centric kits. I told him that I read a bunch on the web both for and against the Stoptech kits, with the negative reports centered around dust boots that would not stay seated. He confirmed that this had been a problem, and that it had been corrected. I went ahead an ordered the Centric boot and seal kits along with the pistons. He also strongly recommended the Centric caliper assembly fluid, so I went for that as well. After using it I would recommend it as well. Makes the job much easier than when using brake fluid. The boots fit nice and snug, and so far, show no signs of popping out. I will report back if this changes.

The Stoptech boot and seal kits can be had on eBay cheaper than at Zeckhausen, but the time and help he gave was well worth a few extra bucks to me. Zeckhausen also has several useful tech articles: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446

Jesse

Thanks for posting the part numbers like this. I recently (July 2022) emailed with the folks at Hoerr (https://www.hrpworld.com/) and they have been extremely helpful over email.

I am likely going to upgrade my caliper pistons to the stainless steel option from Racing Brake.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether (or not) the Stoptech piston seals would be a better track-minded option over going with OE Brembo piston seals?
        1994 325i

Comment

^ Why not use the RB seals if getting their pistons? Im using the RB SS pistons / seals front and rear and working great...

Comment

Stop tech/centric seals are junk.

My brembo seals lasted 12 years before I decided to preventatively rebuild the calipers. Stop tech seals were trash within a year. Back to brembo seals, back to no issues.

Similarly, bought rebuilt by centric rear calipers for my M5, and they failed in <6 months.

Junk.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

A guy I know's stoptech rotors just cracked. He got slotted stoptech instead of drilled rotors specifically so they wouldn't crack lol
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Stoptech is the poor man's brembo.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by SamGrant951 View Post
                  ^ Why not use the RB seals if getting their pistons? Im using the RB SS pistons / seals front and rear and working great...
                  How much are you tracking with your car? Do you make it to Autobahn or Gingerman much?

RE: RacingBrake pistons AND seals - I would just be extremely surprised if they had spec'ed out a better-than-OE seal...hence the ask

I'll be putting this set of brakes into a 200whp E36 325i track toy - there was ZERO real need for me to do this - I just wanted a fun project to tinker with and some porsche bling. The easy pad changes are a huge bonus.

1994 325i

Comment

Brembo seals and dust boots are quality, but they tend to cost an arm and a leg. A certain other company sells them made out of the same material as Brembo, but for a fraction less.
                    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

^ I've got a bunch of track days and heat cycles in my seals/boots from the "other company" now .. holding up great!

Comment

Originally posted by e36_325 View Post

How much are you tracking with your car? Do you make it to Autobahn or Gingerman much?

RE: RacingBrake pistons AND seals - I would just be extremely surprised if they had spec'ed out a better-than-OE seal...hence the ask

I'll be putting this set of brakes into a 200whp E36 325i track toy - there was ZERO real need for me to do this - I just wanted a fun project to tinker with and some porsche bling. The easy pad changes are a huge bonus.
                        Its 90% just a track car, yup been to both plenty. I love Autobahn, Gingerman not so much. I get your point but I have used them 3x different times in different calipers without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SamGrant951 View Post

Its 90% just a track car, yup been to both plenty. I love Autobahn, Gingerman not so much. I get your point but I have used them 3x different times in different calipers without issue.
                          Gingerman is great if you haven’t done much track work. Very safe, if you have an off. Also, fun to change it up, but especially good if you are new.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                            Stop tech/centric seals are junk.

My brembo seals lasted 12 years before I decided to preventatively rebuild the calipers. Stop tech seals were trash within a year. Back to brembo seals, back to no issues.

Similarly, bought rebuilt by centric rear calipers for my M5, and they failed in <6 months.

Junk.
                            Just over two years on the centric seals and no problems. We will see what the future holds.

Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Just an FYI, E9x 18" et29 260/219 wheels just fit over 996 BBK with maybe 3mm of space. I'd probably still use a 3mm spacer, but it will fit for sure:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220724_101902.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	177956
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                                Just an FYI, E9x 18" et29 260/219 wheels just fit over 996 BBK with maybe 3mm of space. I'd probably still use a 3mm spacer, but it will fit for sure:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220724_101902.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	177956
                                Thanks for the info Tbonem3, maybe you can add to your original post on page 1 a confirmed fitment section.

For example,

OE Wheels:

E9x 18" et29 260/219 wheels just fit over 996 BBK with maybe 3mm of space. I'd probably still use a 3mm spacer, but it will fit for sure

Aftermarket:

Apex ARC-8 18"x9.5" et35 + 5mm spacer front, rear spacer for aesthetics

and so on, as more and more people confirm fitment of different wheels, the table would grow. just a thought.

Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

Working...
                                X