No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone! Does anyone have BBS LM’s with the 996 BBK conversion? If so what size and offset are you guys running? TIA

Comment

Just finished with these. I sanded off the Porsche logos with 1000 grit, put decals on, VHT clear over it. Not perfect but it passes the two foot test and they’ll be covered in brake dust soon enough anyway. The calipers came disassembled so rebuilt with the Girodisc seal and boot kits. I used brake fluid as lube and pistons went in nicely for the most part. Couple were more difficult but they seem smooth now.

Boring black but IB is enough color for me

Click image for larger version

Name:	752C2E89-E50B-4DA5-A8D9-74CC8C6E6374.jpeg
Views:	765
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	98143

Comment

Originally posted by Hopalong604 View Post
        Hi everyone! Does anyone have BBS LM’s with the 996 BBK conversion? If so what size and offset are you guys running? TIA
        F: 19x8.5, ET +32
        R: 19x10, ET +25

No spacers on front or rear

Name:	DSCN9860.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	98277
        Attached Files
        '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
        '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
        '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
        '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Okay, I swapped from Bremo metallic pads to the recommended Akebono pads with new shims and the front still squeal right before you stop (slow speed) Is there something in the calipers that could be causing the sequel? I just want to know what to check next or do i just need to give it time? (about 100 miles since replacement) Thanks!!

Comment

Anyone have corroded / stripped threads on a caliper and if so, how do you fix it? Just a M10 x 1.0 tap? I’ve never had to use one before. About to install the last caliper and the brake line won’t go in, first thread or two is dead.

edit: miraculously managed to thread it. Good luck with that next time you have to change the brake line, future me
            Last edited by repoman89; 04-19-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
              Okay, I swapped from Bremo metallic pads to the recommended Akebono pads with new shims and the front still squeal right before you stop (slow speed) Is there something in the calipers that could be causing the sequel? I just want to know what to check next or do i just need to give it time? (about 100 miles since replacement) Thanks!!
              It's inherently going to always happen. The brakes oscillate. I posted a technical bulletin about it in from Porsche. I advise you read it.

I said I would post the TI when I got the chance so here it is. I'll put the pictures in following posts

The "fix" was throwing pads at the car. The last one I replaced Akebono with Brembo. Porsche has multiple OE manufacturers for pads.
              Last edited by Arith2; 04-19-2021, 10:16 PM.
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

It's inherently going to always happen. The brakes oscillate. I posted a technical bulletin about it in from Porsche. I advise you read it.

I said I would post the TI when I got the chance so here it is. I'll put the pictures in following posts

The "fix" was throwing pads at the car. The last one I replaced Akebono with Brembo. Porsche has multiple OE manufacturers for pads.
                Thanks!!

Comment

I’m in the process of rebuilding some 996 f&r, where are you guys getting new front and rear piston sets from?

I see rockauto has the seals kit
                  2006 ILB | M-Texture

Comment

Originally posted by FCD46 View Post
                    I’m in the process of rebuilding some 996 f&r, where are you guys getting new front and rear piston sets from?

I think you can get Brembo pistons from places like HRP.

Rockauto sells Centric seals, which have some inconsistent tolerances. The kits also do not include the boots, and you might as well replace them while you're at it.
                    I got the seals and boots from Girodisc.

Comment

Originally posted by FCD46 View Post

Unless they're corroded or damaged, pistons tend to last a long time if they're stainless steel or titanium. If you're just rebuilding them to refresh them, inspect the pistons and throw some seals + boots on and call it a day.

StopTech pistons aren't bad and are readily available. I don't know pricing for Brembo pistons but I would guess they aren't cheap.
                      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Yes, pistons are hard anodized. They shouldn't need replacement unless they're not smooth.

A word on boots - they're not that important. They're important if you want to get 100k out of the seals, but if this is a track car where you're rebuilding seals every year or 2 or if this is a lightly driven weekend car, you actually don't even need boots, let alone nice new ones. You can absolutely reuse old ones. They'd have to be really falling apart to not provide protection from the elements.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post
                          Doing this conversion as my quarantine project, and I ordered two rear crossover pipes. However, despite ordering two different part numbers, I received two identical pipes. Can anyone confirm which one of these is wrong?

Name:	20200503_054019.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	20327
                          Titaniu//MI just had the same issue as you. Ordered the same part numbers which i thought would be a left and a right but I got two of the same side. Were yours mispackaged or did we both order the wrong part numbers?

Comment

Give me your caliper part numbers and the vehicle they're from. I absolutely need to know the vehicle because the parts catalogue can be a nightmare. I can attempt to check with my parts department on Monday. Not sure how much help they'll be because generally lines like that aren't sold through dealers. It's worth a shot.
                            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                              Just finished with these. I sanded off the Porsche logos with 1000 grit, put decals on, VHT clear over it. Not perfect but it passes the two foot test and they’ll be covered in brake dust soon enough anyway. The calipers came disassembled so rebuilt with the Girodisc seal and boot kits. I used brake fluid as lube and pistons went in nicely for the most part. Couple were more difficult but they seem smooth now.

Boring black but IB is enough color for me

Name:	752C2E89-E50B-4DA5-A8D9-74CC8C6E6374.jpeg
Views:	765
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	98143
                              Nice exactly what I did.
                              06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by F360C View Post

Titaniu//MI just had the same issue as you. Ordered the same part numbers which i thought would be a left and a right but I got two of the same side. Were yours mispackaged or did we both order the wrong part numbers?
                                Mispackaged. Only way around this issue I have found is to physically go down to the dealer that has the parts in stock and inspecting the lines in-person.
                                '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
                                '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
                                '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
                                '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Working...
                                X