Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Do they both have the dampening weights at the top?
    yes and I used new shims each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post

yes and I used new shims each time.
      Funny, I just started getting a squeal when I do medium-strength brake events coming to a stop at low speeds. If I lighten up pressure on the pedal, it goes silent. It's not a "screech" as much as a resonance-sounding kind of wail. I'm not running any piston dampers (I ripped them out, but one caliper still has the things rusted into the caliper pistons) but I believe my pads have the vibration dampers. I'll have to double check.

Does that match what you're experiencing? These calipers aren't on an M3, they're on a 997.2, but that shouldn't change anything.
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Funny, I just started getting a squeal when I do medium-strength brake events coming to a stop at low speeds. If I lighten up pressure on the pedal, it goes silent. It's not a "screech" as much as a resonance-sounding kind of wail. I'm not running any piston dampers (I ripped them out, but one caliper still has the things rusted into the caliper pistons) but I believe my pads have the vibration dampers. I'll have to double check.

Does that match what you're experiencing? These calipers aren't on an M3, they're on a 997.2, but that shouldn't change anything.
        Yes, that sounds like it’s the same. It also will not squeal when you stop quickly with firm pressure.

Comment

Yeah the dampers are extremely essential to knocking out the vibration. I live with the squeal so I don't have them rusting inside my calipers.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I have the Rally Road lines and brackets for the rear brakes. Included in the mix were 4 copper crush washers. Any idea where they go?
            I tried in-between the line and caliper, but the gap is too big and the washer floats around.

(I can't remember if Rally Road included instructions -- if they did, I can't find them, and I apologize if this was covered in them.)

Comment

Isn't it a banjo bolt into the caliper? The crush washers should go on either side of the eyelet that the banjo bolt goes through.
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

OK, mystery solved -- I heard back from Eric at Rally Road.
                Those washers were shims for the caliper brackets, not crush washers.
                This reminds me that I forgot to update the following:

Originally posted by elbert View Post
                How well did the Girodisc boots seat into the caliper? On my rear calipers, the large boots fit fine, but none of the smaller ones will seat correctly.
                I was able get the smaller boots to seat. After Girodisc checked if the parts were correct (they were), the suggestion was to use a block of wood and a c-clamp. I used the Girodisc pad spreader, which got them to seat all the way.
                One important detail is the boots need to be installed dry. I got a little assembly lube on one of the boots, which kept popping off, even with pressure. I cleaned it up, and it stayed seated.

Comment

Anyone have any tips on were to source 996 Rear set 996352421 996352422 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigo1087 View Post
                    Anyone have any tips on were to source 996 Rear set 996352421 996352422 ?
                    Are those the caliper part numbers? (responding via mobile, away from my laptop)

If yes, eBay always has these available. So long as nothing major is wrong with them, you're good. You're rebuilding and refinishing them presumably, so the risk is minimal IMO. eBay is where I got mine.
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Yup those are the numbers.

I actually just saw a Low milage 28k set in near dam mint condition on eBay. Shouldn't need rebuilding I called up the supplier directly and just bought them.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have to say that this modification has made me hate my car. The squeal makes me avoid driving it. It is so intrusive. Does anyone know of anything that can be done to fix this or if this is also an inherent problem with Brembo BBK’s in general like this set,

Comment

I have to say that this modification has made me hate my car. The squeal makes me avoid driving it. It is so intrusive. Does anyone know of anything that can be done to fix this or if this is also an inherent problem with Brembo BBK’s in general like this set,

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...e-kit/?pdk=AgE
                          I have these brakes on my car and do not get any squealing. Are you running dampeners? Maybe it is the pads you are running?
                          '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
                          '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
                          '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
                          '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Check your clearances and make sure nothings rubbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure you are running updated pads and spring kits. Lube all contact surfaces but don't go nuts. Get the sticky dampers that sit on the back of the pad. Look up my post of a Porsche bulletin about why brakes make noise. It's not unique to this mod.

Also remember these pads and calipers were not engineered to function with our rotors. Results will vary. My car squeaks like crazy with genuine Porsche pads. Oh well. The braking is far superior to stock I live with it.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I’ve read that powder coating calipers is not recommended for calipers. My preference is to powder coat my calipers due to the fact that I have a great powder coater nearby. However I am tracking the car so I am concerned about its ability to withstand the heat. Anybody successfully powder coat their calipers for track use?
                                ‘04 M3

Comment

Working...
                                X