No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How could the calipers handle the temps of braking but not baking? Are you baking ?
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
      I’ve read that powder coating calipers is not recommended for calipers. My preference is to powder coat my calipers due to the fact that I have a great powder coater nearby. However I am tracking the car so I am concerned about its ability to withstand the heat. Anybody successfully powder coat their calipers for track use?
      Who says that?
      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Fake news

Comment

https://www.pmbperformance.com/paint...l?desktop=true

Paint not Powder

We get the calls daily “Can you powder coat my STI calipers purple”? No. Here’s why; as mentioned above, the calipers are completely assembled prior to painting. The assembly process requires assembly lube. The powder coating process involves heat over 450 degrees. If you’ve ever powder coated something, “out-gassing” is a real thing. Try powder coating a control arm with an old bearing in it. The heat causes the grease in the old bearing to liquefy and melt out, ruining your finish. Assembly lube does the same thing. Now let’s revisit “reinventing the wheel”; these calipers were meant to be painted, not powder coated. Powder can be too thick causing pad fitment issues (yes, we know people who have to grind their pads to get them to fit). Let’s Segway into paint.

I think I saw something on Brembo’s site too, can’t find it now.
          ‘04 M3

Comment

Well you don't powder coat them with the seals/fluid in. Nor do you powder the insides (like the pad pins) where a thick coating would impede movement nor do you coat the mounting surfaces.

Comment

Here’s the other one:

https://www.racetechnologies.com/art...ing-calipers-0

Brembo does not recommend repainting calipers due to the potential issues that can be created when done incorrectly. If you choose to paint your calipers regardless, please read below.

Special Notes:
              • Brake fluid, harsh brake or wheel cleaners can damage any caliper finish.
              • Powder coating is not recommended.
              • Two piece calipers should never be taken apart.
              • Pistons should not be removed.
              • Stiffening bridges, stainless abutment plates or any other parts that are not listed below should not be removed.

Seems you all disagree, which I prefer, but that was part of my question. By this I take that you have successfully powder coated calipers without problem for a track car?
              Last edited by Maxhouse97; 07-30-2021, 06:56 PM.
              ‘04 M3

Comment

Wait wait wait, brembo wants you to spend $8k on new brakes rather than refurbish old ones?

Comment

There’s nothing wrong with removing ur pistons. Safety is what you should be focused on while doing it IMO. Just seems like a way for Brembo to make more cash, which I don’t blame them. But you can disassemble the whole caliper, get rid of all the fluid in it, then blast to remove whichever paint is on it. Rebuild. Powdercoat. Good as new. That’s what I’m currently doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                    Wait wait wait, brembo wants you to spend $8k on new brakes rather than refurbish old ones?
                    No, Brembo doesn't want to have to deal with people who do stupid shit with their calipers then try to get customer support. If you do what you do to a caliper and it works out, that's great. But if it doesn't work out, Brembo doesn't want to hear from you.
                    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Ok great, on top of this I had my local powder coater say he didn’t do calipers as well, so all added up and caused me to ask. I suspected like most here that the finish would have no problem standing up to the heat on the track (my main concern was the finish).

Yes agree when they say we don’t recommend refinishing at all … both money and safety involved in that 😊
                      ‘04 M3

Comment

So stick with stock brakes then, they're good as is.

Comment

FWIW, I purchased a set of Porsche 996 Brembos on eBay, completely stripped them, masked appropriate areas, placed bolts in all threaded locations, got them powder coated, and reassembled with new seals and hardware. Reinstallation went smoothly and haven’t had any issues during operation.
                          Last edited by duracellttu; 08-08-2021, 07:42 AM.
                          2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

So I’m coming back to the well again to see if anyone has any tips or tricks to eliminate or reduce front brake squeal when the brakes are hot (zero noise when cold). It is so loud that you cannot hear the radio and everyone stops to look to see where the horrible noise is coming from. I also have a Macan turbo which was referenced in the Porsche bulletin that was shared in this thread and the two sequels are worlds apart in both tone and volume with the Macan being very tolerable and in no way a nuisance. Thanks!

I have done,

-new shims
                            -coated all metal on metal pad to caliper surfaces with anti squeal coating
                            -moved from stock brembo pads to akebono ceramic pads (which claim zero noise)

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
                              FWIW, I purchased a set of Porsche 996 Brembos on eBay, completely stripped them, masked appropriate areas, placed bolts in all threaded locations, got them powder coated, and reassembled with new seals and hardware. Reinstallation went smoothly and haven’t had any issues during operation.
                              What seals did u go with?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post

What seals did u go with?
                                I did Brembo or Porsche parts for everything. Seals specifically were genuine Brembo. They were harder to source but I found a race shop online that sells them.
                                2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Working...
                                X