No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got mine on e-bay for cheap, but not so cheap once I refurbished them with new original seals.

Regards

Comment

Ive got a full set from a Cayman S (red) in nice shape, will split and just list the fronts separate if you want to work out a price on rears. I can send more pics to your email/etc - just let me know.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SamGrant951 View Post
        Ive got a full set from a Cayman S (red) in nice shape, will split and just list the fronts separate if you want to work out a price on rears. I can send more pics to your email/etc - just let me know.
        just PM'd you!

Comment

Looking at this option but just wondering if there was a solution to minimizing brake dust. Well have to do some digging as to what set up is common.

Comment

Originally posted by trinity_m3 View Post
            Looking at this option but just wondering if there was a solution to minimizing brake dust. Well have to do some digging as to what set up is common.
            Use low dust pads like these.

Comment

Remember, these cheaper, lower performance pads will give you just that, lower performance. They are not the OE equivalent so don't be fooled that garbage. There are track pads double to triple the price of OE that will give less dust but I there will be alot of noise. Typically the rotors meant for the pads we are using last 40k- 50k before being out of spec, which would be 1mm of wear. Dust is inherent to this set up.
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Something like Brembo semi-met pads would do pretty well. But keep in mind, dust is made in the process of generating friction. It will always be a tradeoff in bite and performance ceiling to achieve lower dust, but for a lot of people that is fine for cruising on the street.

Originally posted by robgill View Post

Use low dust pads like these.
                These are certainly low-dust, but personally I think they go a little too far and make the brakes feel like you're using wood. But, brake feel can be subjective, so if these work for you then they will be low dust.

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                There are track pads double to triple the price of OE that will give less dust but I there will be alot of noise
                That's not how friction works. The least aggressive track pad is still an order of magnitude more aggressive -- especially at cold temps -- than the OE pads. Despite what some companies claim in their marketing, a proper track pad will make lots of dust on the street. More dust than any street pad.
                '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

What’s the best way to clean and prep some very dirty calipers for painting? Brake cleaner is barely doing anything lol.
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Pretty much have to scuff them up with sanding or scotch pads and get to a layer that would allow paint adherence, paint stripper works just takes multiple passes along with sanding. Use a prep agent once you have them cleaned up and ready for paint to remove any grease or skin oils from handling. Ive never had an issue using high temp brake caliper paint if they are prepped correctly...not a fun process.

Comment

So are you guys taking the mall the way to bare metal, or just kind of scuffing until it's clean and then priming?

TBH I am strongly considering just having these powder coated. If the inside of the area where the piston is remains clear and unaltered/unscored, I don't really see drawbacks to powder coat, but please enlighten me if I'm missing something.
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                        So are you guys taking the mall the way to bare metal, or just kind of scuffing until it's clean and then priming?

TBH I am strongly considering just having these powder coated. If the inside of the area where the piston is remains clear and unaltered/unscored, I don't really see drawbacks to powder coat, but please enlighten me if I'm missing something.
                        If fully restoring them I would suggest laser or sand blasting them down to bare metal. The other 996 thread from Tbone lays out the process. He has sand blasted his.

Comment

I had mine powder coated, just need to make sure piston area is properly taped off
                          2006 ILB | M-Texture

Comment

Steel and brass brushes. Scotchbrite pads. Sandpaper. I got them mostly down to the metal and had them painted and baked by a friend at a body shop. It was a pain in the arse. If you can have them media blasted without damaging the piston bores I would do it.

D-O
                            Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I'm gonna powder coat them. Same guy who did my E36 brakes, I watched and documented the process and the piston bores are masked off.

Last question for now, what's a known to be good source for high temp Brembo decals (black)
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I'm gonna powder coat them. Same guy who did my E36 brakes, I watched and documented the process and the piston bores are masked off.

Last question for now, what's a known to be good source for high temp Brembo decals (black)
                                What color powder coat? If it's lightish, it might darken after some track days (depends on brand and application and a bunch of other variables of course)

I have a set that I'm going to get refinished very soon. Think I'm going to go for cerakote since I don't trust that regular powder coat will hold up to track abuse.
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X