Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    I would just keep using your original.
    Interesting. Not what I would have thought. I may do that.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Well the Rein part and the genuine one are definitely different. Rein is the one with black fittings

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220331_211441.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	161560

Name:	20220331_211630.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	161561

All the metal parts look different. I measured the Rein fittings at 22 mm OD and the genuine fittings at 19 mm OD. This turns out to make a huge difference when installed. The Rein part was rubbing against my oil pan and slowly wearing a grove into it. Genuine part is miles away from the pan.

Rein clearance from oil pan (with me pushing down on it slightly):

Name:	20220321_203919.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	161564

Genuine clearance from oil pan (with no pushing):

Name:	20220401_173450.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	161565

Yes, I'm aware you can clock the lines slightly to get them to sit closer/further from the oil pan, but I'm pretty sure I put both of them in roughly the same spot. The issue with the Rein part could have very well been installer error, but the bigger fittings did not help.

The hydraulic lines are different too. Both are ContiTech, but the Rein part says TYP XIV-10 and the genuine part says TYP IX-10. Quick search lead me to the Continental page about the IX hose, but I couldn't find much about the XIV hose. Not entirely sure what the difference is here (if any), but regardless, the marking are different.

Name:	20220331_211711.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	161562

Name:	20220331_211737.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	161563

So I guess stick with genuine for this part as well.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Well the Rein part and the genuine one are definitely different. Rein is the one with black fittings

So I guess stick with genuine for this part as well.
        What kind of years/mileage are people getting out of these hoses?

The original-to-the-car high pressure hose (32412283893) that was on the car when I bought it lasted about 38k miles and 11 years. I replaced it with a Genuine BMW part. It's not leaking currently, but it's now 9 years old and has ~36k miles on it. So this became a "might as well" part while the motor is out of the car. I ordered the Rein part as it's half the price, made in Germany, etc.

Per my earlier comment, I'm now wondering if I 1) swap my non-leaking but used one back in, 2) buy a new Genuine BMW hose, or 3) roll the dice with the Rein part (presuming I can get it to fit correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

The original-to-the-car high pressure hose (32412283893) that was on the car when I bought it lasted about 38k miles and 11 years. I replaced it with a Genuine BMW part. It's not leaking currently, but it's now 9 years old and has ~36k miles on it. So this became a "might as well" part while the motor is out of the car. I ordered the Rein part as it's half the price, made in Germany, etc.

Per my earlier comment, I'm now wondering if I 1) swap my non-leaking but used one back in, 2) buy a new Genuine BMW hose, or 3) roll the dice with the Rein part (presuming I can get it to fit correctly).
          18-19 years for me, replaced with REIN.

Comment

Got ~124k mi and 19 years out of my original hose. ~6k mi and a year out of the Rein one. We'll see how long the new genuine one lasts.

I am cheating a little this time because I also shimmed the power steering pump regulator when I swapped the hose for a ~25% reduction in pressure. It won't be an apples to apples comparison, but hoping to get a good amount of life from the genuine part.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
              18-19 years for me, replaced with REIN.
              Got ~124k mi and 19 years out of my original hose. ~6k mi and a year out of the Rein one. We'll see how long the new genuine one lasts.
              Sounds like I'll put the BMW one back on the return the REIN. Thanks gents!

I am cheating a little this time because I also shimmed the power steering pump regulator when I swapped the hose for a ~25% reduction in pressure. It won't be an apples to apples comparison, but hoping to get a good amount of life from the genuine part.
              I just saw your build thread where you shimmed down the P/S (awesome updates BTW). Do you have details on that? As in... where did you get the shims? Dimensions?

Comment

I just saw your build thread where you shimmed down the P/S (awesome updates BTW). Do you have details on that? As in... where did you get the shims? Dimensions?
                Details, instructions, etc. here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...?p=196#post196

Got the shims from Volke . Can't give driving impressions yet because my alternator decided to die the morning after I finished up the power steering work

Comment

Details, instructions, etc. here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...?p=196#post196

Got the shims from Volke . Can't give driving impressions yet because my alternator decided to die the morning after I finished up the power steering work
                  Holy crap how have I missed this?!?

Danke sehr!

Comment

Working...
                  X