Which csl airbox to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post

Did you go through with this. I’m thinking about getting the race box as well since the flap is kinda pointless right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Not yet. But yeah I think the flap is pointless especially for someone like me that values a more streamlined setup.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
      Maybe my expectations are unrealistic and/or I have defective ears. It sounds great from the outside and inside with the windows down, but it’s kinda underwhelming with windows up. I was watching the Harry’s Garage manual CSL vid recently, and it seemed like that car sounded a bit different than my car. My intake is the only one I’ve experienced in person so far, so I could totally be wrong. I mean, the dB reader a few yards from the dyno read 116 dB..def loud. I don’t think it makes much of a difference, but I have the Karb/ITG foam filter.

NZ_M3 Hi, pls help

The Karbonius sounds different to the Genuine CSL one. I've heard them back to back on the dyno and I can tell the difference. One actually has a slightly higher frequency - I should actually try and measure them but they definitely sound different. The genuine CSL one has more of a growl and deeper tone. Similar but definitely different.

Comment

for what its worth, Haimus frozen carbon (scroll through to get to the video clip):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdcJ-FQL..._web_copy_link

Comment

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions or pros/cons on the Karbonius race box vs "standard" CSL box? I don't care about running the flap but I'm curious if the air ducting from the kidney grills would contribute to lower IATs?

I'd pair the standard box with their carbon funnel or a 3d printed funnel like the oe flap but sans flap.

Comment

Well, I believe now is the time to order Karb boxes as Euro hit parity with USD.

Basically, you can get Karb delivered to you for about $1900.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              In my experience, the slower (less powerful engine and/or less power mechanically sent to the wheels) car with CSL airbox makes a better sound. I can't say louder, but to me, better. I think it's due to being a slower sound.

Try this experiment. Go WOT uphill, then go WOT downhill and see which sounds better. When I did 4.10s, my CSL airbox sounded worse to me. So, in my experience, the more load you put on the engine, and the slower you move through the powerband, the better sounding the CSL induction.

I think the best CSL induction you could ever make would be to take a healthy vert and only do the airbox conversion and headers. And then just rip through the canyon walls.
              +1 on this, the man knows what he is talking about. Those on the fence, i'm in SoCal, can let you try it to get an idea of real world sound, quiet exhaust and loud airbox/headers is definitely the way to go.
              | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

I'm now back in vert owners' good graces 😄
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by siamkazi View Post

+1 on this, the man knows what he is talking about. Those on the fence, i'm in SoCal, can let you try it to get an idea of real world sound, quiet exhaust and loud airbox/headers is definitely the way to go.
                  I just put an oversized SS headers + S1 + resonated S2 on my coupe with a stock muffler. Having never driven a stock muffler car before, this is my favorite setup yet. I can't wait to put a Karbonius race box on the motor.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

My friend Good has the exact same setup as you, with a Karb box, it's awesome. He's adding the HJS catted sect 1 now, I assume you already have that. You did well to get the resonated sect 2 imo, makes a big difference.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

My friend Good has the exact same setup as you, with a Karb box, it's awesome. He's adding the HJS catted sect 1 now, I assume you already have that. You did well to get the resonated sect 2 imo, makes a big difference.
                      Forgot that part, yes it's a catted section 1. No more stink.
                      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

+1 for Haimus. Nothing against Karb boxes, seen a few in person and they are amazing pieces as well, But I bought my airbox during the pandemic (peak pandemic) and they were 6+ months out from fulfilling orders back when I checked. Ive had 2 airboxes actually and The Haimus has been nothing but great to me. Excellent finish, even the Karb guys think its one of their own Communication with Haimus is easy through Instagram. Plus I love the updated IAT location; my 1st airbox was a replica of OEM from Poland which had the OG IAT location near the OFH. Id lose power when pushing it as the OFH temp would throw it off.

Oh, and the 5 year warranty doesn't hurt

I also have been trying make videos capturing the essence of the CSL intake sound. IMO its probably one of the best sounds a car has made, ever. But its a very difficult sound to capture accurately. Here I put a shotgun mic directly to the plenum, which sounds great, but im working on another video with in cabin audio, and flybys (while upholding the same level of audio fidelity). It is worth nothing that this is Haimus's "motorsport" box which has 1 fewer layers of clear coat. While a miniscule detail, overall carbon wall thickness is critical to the pitch of the induction it will ultimately create, and was a common source of R&D for Die Wethje Carbon GmBH when they manufactured the intake plenums for the McLaren F1 and the M3 CSL intake.

Last edited by Thrifty S50; 07-14-2022, 03:07 PM. Reason: extra info
                        2003 Stahl Grau on Imola Red E46 M3 / 1992 Brilliatnrot E30 318iC Vert
                        @ JT_E30

Comment

Karb box is a two month wait and has the correct weave direction.

2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Best bang for buck is probably just buying the genuine one:

Apologies for messing around lol. I just hadn't seen the latest prices and was blown away. Last I saw, it was about $6k for both pieces brand new. It's almost $15k now, jesus christ
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The genuine airbox used to be about 3-4k when the car was still in production.
                              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I'm now back in vert owners' good graces 😄
                                lol, you've always been in everyone's good graces! You were the one that convinced me on staying on the stock diff (as opposed to 3.91/4.1) and going stock section 3 with the airbox, definitely great advice. 👍
                                | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

Working...
                                X