Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Cobra Nogaro seats (uniquely street friendly fixed back bucket seat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems as good a place to ask as any — what do I need to do to my stock electric coupe sliders / BK mount setup to run a harness? Pretty unfamiliar with harnesses and mounting in general but lot of people at the track have been recommending it, and I want to be as safe as possible. I have a local HMS I can go ask but figured it’d be good to go into it semi-knowledgeable.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
      Seems as good a place to ask as any — what do I need to do to my stock electric coupe sliders / BK mount setup to run a harness? Pretty unfamiliar with harnesses and mounting in general but lot of people at the track have been recommending it, and I want to be as safe as possible. I have a local HMS I can go ask but figured it’d be good to go into it semi-knowledgeable.
      If you want to retain back seat functionality, this is the best harness mounting option IMO (and what I'm running):

And for lap belts:

In terms of using electric sliders, all you need is an e30 sunroof (or window) switch. Other than that, unbolt from old sliders, wire up as per this, use.

HMS sells everything above, plus harnesses that'll work with them.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

If you want to retain back seat functionality, this is the best harness mounting option IMO (and what I'm running):

And for lap belts:

In terms of using electric sliders, all you need is an e30 sunroof (or window) switch. Other than that, unbolt from old sliders, wire up as per this, use.

HMS sells everything above, plus harnesses that'll work with them.
        Thanks! Already got the seats in and cleanly wired up with the E30 switches (and seat heaters!) and have been loving them for a few months now. Just looking to add the harness stuff which looks like it’s your first couple links. Sounds like a trip to HMS is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Thanks! Already got the seats in and cleanly wired up with the E30 switches (and seat heaters!) and have been loving them for a few months now. Just looking to add the harness stuff which looks like it’s your first couple links. Sounds like a trip to HMS is in order.
          I just realized I forgot the sub strap mounts.

driver:
          https://www.bkauto.com/R_9228_Driver...t_p/r-9228.htm

passenger:
          https://www.bkauto.com/R_9229_Passen...t_p/r-9229.htm

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Has anyone try to modified the rails to allow more space for hopping in/out the back?

Maybe by removing/relocating the front stopper that should allow the seat to come more forward.

​​​​​
            Last edited by ZiMMie; 08-08-2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

That'd be nice. I think Ian needs to be more honest/realistic about the lack of back seat access (yes, I know it's a fixed back bucket). It's a joke. Esp for a bigger guy. I'm tall-ish, but slender, and I still have to contort my body to slide in. I cringe as I rub against the b pillar fabric or door panel leather or headliner. I don't do it often at least. I can't image the less reclined bolting position makes a huge difference.
              Last edited by Tbonem3; 08-08-2021, 09:52 PM.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                That'd be nice. I think Ian needs to be more honest/realistic about the lack of back seat access (yes, I know it's a fixed back bucket). It's a joke. Esp for a bigger guy. I'm tall-ish, but slender, and I still have to contort my body to slide in. I cringe as I rub against the b pillar fabric or door panel leather or headliner. I don't do it often at least. I can't image the less reclined bolting position makes a huge difference.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1E89576F-938C-4365-AF28-545CB5647D70.jpeg
Views:	773
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	119702

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Thanks for that pic.

Did you modify the rails by any chance?

I know for fact the Sedan/touring rails allows more leg room at the opposite direction.
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
                    Thanks for that pic.

Did you modify the rails by any chance?

I know for fact the Sedan/touring rails allows more leg room at the opposite direction.
                    ​​​​​​
                    I did not modify my sliders, but they are (manual, though I don't think it makes any difference) sedan sliders, with the seat in the less relined of the two positions.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

So with the original sliders, you can also recline?

Isn't the reclining mechanics built into the stock actual seat?

I thought it can just slide back and forth.

Comment

So with the original sliders, you can also recline?

Isn't the reclining mechanics built into the stock actual seat?

I thought it can just slide back and forth.
                        The recline is based on the bolt hole on the side mount that you use, not the slider. The "correct" (per cobra) seat mount orientation is the head rest portion of the buck to be vertical, which is the less reclined hole on the seat mount-- so this is actually the "correct" position for the seat. That said, it's also more upright than most people are used to

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Gotcha. I'll have a set of manual coupe rails I'll look at on the weekend. I think more space can be achieved with a very simple modification.

Btw this how much room CSL seat have if anyone is interested.

Last edited by ZiMMie; 08-09-2021, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Gotcha. I'll have a set of manual coupe rails I'll look at on the weekend. I think more space can be achieved with a very simple modification.

Btw this how much room CSL seat have if anyone is interested.

Ha, I needed that exact video in a thread the other day, but couldn't find it. Just added it to that one :P

I owned the CSL mounts and was originally planning to use them, or have BK copy them... but then they didn't add a useful amount of back seat access, and resulted in the seat being significantly higher. The problem is that, with a fixed back seat, the headrest and ceiling height of the car limit how useful the tilt forward functionality is.

I'm interested to see how your slider modification project goes-- please update after you try it!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Make sense.

Only way around it was if the Nogaros mounted a tad lower
                              lower.

​​​​​​How old is your little one now? Does she has any problems hoping back there and then in her seat?

The only reason I'm doing this is for my little one as well

Comment

Ian, why would you show me a picture of the exact same seat setup I have as well? Unless you're saying the less reclined position provides a significant amount more room?

A child will be able to get in easily. Getting a baby into a car seat, esp rear facing, would be tough. I just put my 2.5 y/o in a front facing seat in my M3, with stock seats, and it's a breeze.
                                Last edited by Tbonem3; 08-09-2021, 07:47 AM.
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X