Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Cobra Nogaro seats (uniquely street friendly fixed back bucket seat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
    Make sense.

Only way around it was if the Nogaros mounted a tad lower
    lower.

​​​​​​How old is your little one now? Does she has any problems hoping back there and then in her seat?

The only reason I'm doing this is for my little one as well
    Zero issue getting back there, but she can't buckle herself in yet.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    Ian, why would you show me a picture of the exact same seat setup I have as well? Unless you're saying the less reclined position provides a significant amount more room?

A child will be able to get in easily. Getting a baby into a car seat, esp rear facing, would be tough. I just put my 2.5 y/o in a front facing seat in my M3, with stock seats, and it's a breeze.
    That is what I'm saying-- the less reclined position is not an insignificant difference.

Agreed a rear facing car seat is not feasible, though.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I'm struggling to find manual sliders locally. Would X3 manual sliders work?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post

I've never seen them myself, but people have said yes.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I've never seen them myself, but people have said yes.
          Alright, I'm going to gamble and try them. That's all I can find locally.

Comment

EBay has some every so often.

Comment

Alright, I'm going to gamble and try them. That's all I can find locally.
              According to realoem, the actual slider mechanism has the same part number as an E46 sedan. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I found the X3 sliders are a bit less expensive and easier to find than E46 ones.

However, there may be one potentially important difference: I *believe* the occupancy sensor (and associated wiring) may be different. So you will have to take it out of your old seat if you plan on using one.
              What I did was get an X3 slider for the driver side, and an E46 slider for the passenger to save myself the trouble of reusing the wiring. I haven't installed them yet (will probably be a winter project) but the sliders do appear to correct.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

According to realoem, the actual slider mechanism has the same part number as an E46 sedan. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I found the X3 sliders are a bit less expensive and easier to find than E46 ones.

However, there may be one potentially important difference: I *believe* the occupancy sensor (and associated wiring) may be different. So you will have to take it out of your old seat if you plan on using one.
                What I did was get an X3 slider for the driver side, and an E46 slider for the passenger to save myself the trouble of reusing the wiring. I haven't installed them yet (will probably be a winter project) but the sliders do appear to correct.
                Helpful! Thank you. I'm picking them up tomorrow, I'll provide an update when I install.

Comment

Installed one side using the X3 sliders. They fit but I did have to swap the belt reciever (like jk715 and elbert said). I did not swap the occupancy sensor as I plan on coding it out. One of the seats I got was missing the Allen bolts that attach it to the brackets so I have to wait to install the driver side until I get those. The Allen bolts on the passenger side were really difficult to screw in past a certain point, not sure what was happening there. Otherwise I'm happy with them. They look amazing and are quite comfortable. I set them in the more reclined position and they still feel quite upright.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1629245799.517.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	121456
                  Attached Files

Comment

Anyone have issues with quality control on these seats or the BK mounts? I ordered a set and one of the seats had a deformed headrest and was the wrong material entirely. The other had a fold in the vinyl as well as a stain. Half of the hardware from the BK mount set was missing and the switch bracket holes were manufactured incorrectly as to not align with the seat mounts. What a nightmare. Thankfully HMS customer service was great and is making it right by sending replacements but this was a huge let down. Pics attached for reference.

Attached Files

Comment

Chiming in to say 'thank you' to Obio and everyone who recommended this seat. Just got mine installed and wow! I get why this is so high on everyone's "Top 5 mods I love" lists.

Here are a few things I learned along the way:

1) I wish I had sprung for the leather (vs. full cloth) from the start and just reupholstered the inner panels. Ended up being a bigger headache than I expected to get it "right"

2) Here is the final part list I used for installing with manual sliders for easy swap-in, swap-out:
                      • 2 x OEM manual seat sliders (52-10-8-226-267 + Passenger side)
                      • Brey Krause R-9226 + passenger side Slide release mechanism (required for manual install)
                      • Brey Krause R-9225 Clip-In Lap Belt mounts (to add a lap belt mount point to the OEM sliders)
                      3) You will sit much more upright...I thought I was already sitting pretty vertical in the OE seats but it took about 10 minutes of "I'm not so sure..." before it clicked in and now feels just right.

4) TALL DRIVERS: It's a bit of a squeeze, but even me at 6'4 and 240 lbs fit pretty well in these Cobras. A trip from SF to LA would be tough but around town and to the track, no problem.

5) Using fabric dye pens to try to "black out" the Cobra logo was a huge mistake I planned to reupholster anyway but wow did it look terrible right away when I experimented with just pens.

6) The best test for any mod: I laughed myself silly all the way on the drive back home from the shop that installed them.

Here are some before & after shots:

Click image for larger version  Name:	cobra before & after.png Views:	0 Size:	876.7 KB ID:	136887
                      Last edited by ridebikes; 11-13-2021, 05:54 AM.
                      2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                      ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
                        Chiming in to say 'thank you' to Obio and everyone who recommended this seat. Just got mine installed and wow! I get why this is so high on everyone's "Top 5 mods I love" lists.

Here are a few things I learned along the way:

1) I wish I had sprung for the leather (vs. full cloth) from the start and just reupholstered the inner panels. Ended up being a bigger headache than I expected to get it "right"

2) Here is the final part list I used for installing with manual sliders for easy swap-in, swap-out:
                        • 2 x OEM manual seat sliders (52-10-8-226-267 + Passenger side)
                        • Brey Krause R-9226 + passenger side Slide release mechanism (required for manual install)
                        • Brey Krause R-9225 Clip-In Lap Belt mounts (to add a lap belt mount point to the OEM sliders)
                        3) You will sit much more upright...I thought I was already sitting pretty vertical in the OE seats but it took about 10 minutes of "I'm not so sure..." before it clicked in and now feels just right.

4) TALL DRIVERS: It's a bit of a squeeze, but even me at 6'4 and 240 lbs fit pretty well in these Cobras. A trip from SF to LA would be tough but around town and to the track, no problem.

5) Using fabric dye pens to try to "black out" the Cobra logo was a huge mistake I planned to reupholster anyway but wow did it look terrible right away when I experimented with just pens.

6) The best test for any mod: I laughed myself silly all the way on the drive back home from the shop that installed them.

Here are some before & after shots:

Click image for larger version Name:	cobra before & after.png Views:	0 Size:	876.7 KB ID:	136887
                        Nice take on this install. Absolutely love the center fabric. Can you separate out one of those final shots so more detail comes through on the photo? Mr. Greedy here.

Regarding your #1 point, would you have gone with the dinamica center sections presumably? Rather than full leather? I recognize the rhetorical nature of my question...

This is (as you said) on my short list too, so inquiring minds and all that...

Thanks for the pro tip on #5.

Regarding #6 - smiles per miles is what's it's all about, my brother. Well done and congrats.
                        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Nice take on this install. Absolutely love the center fabric. Can you separate out one of those final shots so more detail comes through on the photo? Mr. Greedy here.

Regarding your #1 point, would you have gone with the dinamica center sections presumably? Rather than full leather? I recognize the rhetorical nature of my question...

This is (as you said) on my short list too, so inquiring minds and all that...

Thanks for the pro tip on #5.

Regarding #6 - smiles per miles is what's it's all about, my brother. Well done and congrats.

Thank you sir! Here was where I sourced my fabric: https://relicate.com/collections/bmw-seat-fabric

You are right about not going for full leather. I just would have focused on reupholstering this part vs. the whole thing:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 2.44.25 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	536.0 KB ID:	137099

Here are a few more detail shots:

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211114_203838456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	137100

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211114_203844544.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	137101

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211114_203918428_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	137102

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post

Thank you sir! Here was where I sourced my fabric: https://relicate.com/collections/bmw-seat-fabric

You are right about not going for full leather. I just would have focused on reupholstering this part vs. the whole thing:

Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 2.44.25 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	536.0 KB ID:	137099

Here are a few more detail shots:

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20211114_203838456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	137100

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20211114_203844544.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	137101

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20211114_203918428_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	137102
                            Looks absolutely fantastic. Appreciate the extra details!! Those seats go perfectly in a Dove Grey interior.
                            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Looks absolutely fantastic. Appreciate the extra details!! Those seats go perfectly in a Dove Grey interior.
                              I think the only thing left is to get some of that fabric on the door panels 👍

Comment

I got my car back from the shop addressing myriad issues so I’ve finally got some seat time in the nogaros. After playing with the distance from the wheel and figuring out my body position in the seat I’m really loving them. Major upgrade in support and bolstering, plus they look amazing. I’m very satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                                X