Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Cobra Nogaro seats (uniquely street friendly fixed back bucket seat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

You need something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire rack.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	194177
    I've done this with a basket before and I didn't like driving a long distance to the track with all that weight up there.

Comment

Good insights mrgizmo04 I appreciate it! Looks like I've got some pondering to do then...I'm also curious if manual sliders would get you there.

I too am wondering when I'll just shut up and get the tire trailer, tbh it might be easier then stuffing things in the trunk, since the toolbox could just stay mounted to it. Then again, additional equipment almost never results in an actually simpler experience.

Now the roof idea is new to me...I think I'm not against lifting the wheels up there, but yea driving like that seems wonky. Not sure what the weight limits are up there either.

Comment

Safety always first. Fun not a distant second. Not the other way around.

And if some of you guys run any harnesses on track, PLEASE invest in a HANS, your neck will thank you (even without harnesses on track I ran the Simpson Hybrid which can be used with a 3pt or a regular harness). You don't need $1k+ CF versions, plenty can be had for a few hundred bucks.

Also on subject of safety, I'm assuming I don't have to tell you to make sure those shoulder harness holes better be high enough for your torso so you don't get spinal compression. No, Pole Positions or whatever nice looking fill in the blank seat is not for everyone. Nogaros suit tall people, so no problems there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I need to get a hans, have a "Necksgen" currently which is better than nothing. The thing I like about the necksgen is it offers greater mobility, but likely at the loss of some safety.

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
            Safety always first. Fun not a distant second. Not the other way around.

And if some of you guys run any harnesses on track, PLEASE invest in a HANS, your neck will thank you (even without harnesses on track I ran the Simpson Hybrid which can be used with a 3pt or a regular harness). You don't need $1k+ CF versions, plenty can be had for a few hundred bucks.

Also on subject of safety, I'm assuming I don't have to tell you to make sure those shoulder harness holes better be high enough for your torso so you don't get spinal compression. No, Pole Positions or whatever nice looking fill in the blank seat is not for everyone. Nogaros suit tall people, so no problems there.

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            I need to get a hans, have a "Necksgen" currently which is better than nothing. The thing I like about the necksgen is it offers greater mobility, but likely at the loss of some safety.

https://competitionmotorsport.com/pr...AaAk5iEALw_wcB
            I use a Hans, although I don't think it's required for my Time Attack class, I feel a lot better in it. And let's face it, you look like a badass in a racing suit, helmet with a mirror face shield, and a Hans. lol

I have the Hans III https://www.hansdevice.com/products/hans-iii which I find very comfortable. You really should use a Hans-compatible seat and 6-point harness as well which I have. My seat is a Cobra Evolution, very comfortable. My car also has a full cage so you really need all the other stuff, it would suck to get into an accident and get thrown out of your seat into the cage.
            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
              My car also has a full cage so you really need all the other stuff, it would suck to get into an accident and get thrown out of your seat into the cage.
              Sounds like you also need the arm tethers and the whole 9 yards.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

mrgizmo04 or Obioban (or anyone running sub straps with Nogaros and Brey Krause mounts), does the sub strap go forward or backward from vertical between the latch and seat base? Still have a good amount to learn when it comes to safety restraints, so I've been reading up on that and stumbled upon this install guide from Schroth (attached to post as well in case link goes dead): https://www.schrothracing.com/doc-sh...-2_2019-04.pdf

Page 10 shows that for 6 point harnesses, the sub straps should be routed at ~20° back (towards you) from vertical. 5 point sub straps should be at ~20° forward from the plane of your torso. Sub strap addition for the quick fits essentially makes those a 6 point harness, so the sub straps should be going backward.

The picture that mrgizmo04 posted earlier shows the sub strap going forward between the seat and the sub bar, so I'm not too sure what to make of that. Maybe the important angle is between your body and the seat opening? Maybe I can mount the bar further back to satisfy Schroth's instructions? Or maybe I'm overthinking this and it isn't something I should be concerned about. Thoughts?
                Attached Files
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Here is a rough top view with cushion removed. It is close to vertical, you can see the bar there.

It is not in the "perfect" 0-20 deg range, but it is close to 0. It does somewhat rely on the seat's front of the opening to bring it in closer to you, and to quote the instructions to enable "tangential touching of the chest and groin". I also think that mounting requirement of 0-20 deg back for 6pt is for preventing submarining, but since quick fits are "street" versions and have ASM built in, it is a bit less of a concern.

I don't think mounting the subbar further back will work unless you notch the mounting holes (also not sure of interference because seat bottom really curves down for your butt and seat cushion). There are 2x holes on the subbar per side and they attach on the same mounting location where the mount attaches to the slider.

Last edited by mrgizmo04; 11-30-2022, 08:21 AM.
                  Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Hmm, makes sense. I think your other picture made it look like it was further forward than it actually is. Much less concerned after seeing this new pic.

I see the sub bar is already made to mount it somewhat far back. I'm guessing it's designed to sit as far back as possible before interfering with other parts of the seat/rail, so yeah maybe mounting it further back isn't feasible.

Oh and good point on the ASM with the quick fits. Guess that for quick fits, the main purpose of the sub strap is to keep the lap belts on your hip bones and not let them ride up. Sub strap angle is probably a bigger concern with regular harnesses without the ASM thing.
                    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 11-30-2022, 09:14 AM.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Anyone in a hot climate have insights about the available fabrics and specifically how well they ventilate? We see 90F+ most of the summer and booty sweat is a major pain point 😅.

Would die to have seat air cooling during the summer months.
                      '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                      All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pklauser View Post
                        Good insights mrgizmo04 I appreciate it! Looks like I've got some pondering to do then...I'm also curious if manual sliders would get you there.

I too am wondering when I'll just shut up and get the tire trailer, tbh it might be easier then stuffing things in the trunk, since the toolbox could just stay mounted to it. Then again, additional equipment almost never results in an actually simpler experience.

Now the roof idea is new to me...I think I'm not against lifting the wheels up there, but yea driving like that seems wonky. Not sure what the weight limits are up there either.
                        If I need to rush, I can remove the front seat, take the tires out, put seat back in, take street wheels off, swap to track pads, adjust camber, put track tires on, and set tire pressures in <30 minutes. Of that, getting the tires out of the car is probably ~5 minutes total (including putting each at its destination corner, and putting the deflator valves on them as I do).

I do have a portable power 3/8" drive wrench that makes the seat removal/install <1 minute, and an impact gun to make the tires go fast, and an off roader tire deflator kit, and an air pump that shuts off at a pressure of my choosing, that all live in my track box.

I stopped using a dedicated track car because I hate trailering. Trailering with my M3, or sticking a top heavy, speed limiting, roof rack on it doesn't appeal to me at all.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                          Hmm, makes sense. I think your other picture made it look like it was further forward than it actually is. Much less concerned after seeing this new pic.

I see the sub bar is already made to mount it somewhat far back. I'm guessing it's designed to sit as far back as possible before interfering with other parts of the seat/rail, so yeah maybe mounting it further back isn't feasible.

Oh and good point on the ASM with the quick fits. Guess that for quick fits, the main purpose of the sub strap is to keep the lap belts on your hip bones and not let them ride up. Sub strap angle is probably a bigger concern with regular harnesses without the ASM thing.
                          Boom, yep, at least that's the thinking.

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by dukeofchen View Post
                            Anyone in a hot climate have insights about the available fabrics and specifically how well they ventilate? We see 90F+ most of the summer and booty sweat is a major pain point 😅.

Would die to have seat air cooling during the summer months.
                            This is why I got the spacer fabric seats instead of leather/vinyl. Spacer fabric is different from what Recaros are wrapped in, which is more perlon/velour and feels like tshirt. Spacer fabric is different and is a lot more breathable (and per Cobra lasts longer).

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                              This is why I got the spacer fabric seats instead of leather/vinyl. Spacer fabric is different from what Recaros are wrapped in, which is more perlon/velour and feels like tshirt. Spacer fabric is different and is a lot more breathable (and per Cobra lasts longer).

Awesome, that's great to know. The other fabrics are more aesthetically pleasing but I'd definitely go function over form here.

Maybe custom ordering a vinyl / leather outer paired with spacer fabric inner would be the best compromise for me.
                              '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                              All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Does anyone know if you one can use Recaro Pole position seat mounts with the Nogaros?
                                is the mounting width the same?

it seems like it will, i cant confirm this as cobra is not clear with their dimensions.

Could someone please confirm the width of the mounting points? is it 390mm?

So far this is what i have found.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nogaro1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	194592 Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3088_cd71f67b4ef1045288e67cf7e8ddb3dde5b50cde.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	194594 Click image for larger version

Name:	876_Nogaro_Dimensions.jpg
Views:	312