Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Cobra Nogaro seats (uniquely street friendly fixed back bucket seat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nogaro is ~429mm wide at the mount points, IIRC

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      The Nogaro is ~429mm wide at the mount points, IIRC
      Got a reply back from Cobra. They state that it's 405mm between the width of the mounting points and 290mm between the 2 side mounting holes.

That put it exactly like the Recaro Pole.

Obioban are you certain about the 430mm width mouthing points?

Thanks

Comment

If you heard from Cobra, I'd trust that.
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

Got a reply back from Cobra. They state that it's 405mm between the width of the mounting points and 290mm between the 2 side mounting holes.

That put it exactly like the Recaro Pole.

Obioban are you certain about the 430mm width mouthing points?

Thanks
          Not certain at all! Was going off a vague recollection from measuring them back when I first installed them years ago.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Thanks guys..

Here is another option for brackets based on cobras dimensions.

This company is well respected in the racing community here and it's cheaper as well. You don't have to pay extra for sliders handle.

They also provide material report which is required for TÜV.
            ​​​https://www.speedengineering.de/prod...r-komplettset/

Manual for installation of the Seat Mount Kit BMW E46 OEM Slider Recaro Pole Position by Speed Engineering GmbH.If you have further questions, please contact...

​​​​
            Last edited by ZiMMie; 12-04-2022, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys..

Here is another option for brackets based on dimensions.

The company is well respected in the racing community here and it's cheaper as well. You don't have to pay extra for sliders handle.

​​​​​​​
              Manual for installation of the Seat Mount Kit BMW E46 OEM Slider Recaro Pole Position by Speed Engineering GmbH.If you have further questions, please contact...

​​​​
              Interesting option. Presumably they make this only for the manual BMW OEM sliders? I didn't see an option for the power seat rails.

It also looks like they have a complete custom in-house mounting solution that doesn't use the BMW sliders at all:
              https://www.speedengineering.de/prod...pole-position/

If I'm interpreting this right, it also looks like they have seat belt mounts for the passenger and driver side that allow the factory seat belt receiver (the one mounted to the OEM BMW rails) to be used:

Driver side

Passenger side
              Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 12-04-2022, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys..

This company is well respected in the racing community here and it's cheaper as well. You don't have to pay extra for sliders handle.

​​​​
                Looks like those are pole position specific.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Interesting option. Presumably they make this only for the manual BMW OEM sliders? I didn't see an option for the power seat rails.

It also looks like they have a complete customer in-house mounting solution that doesn't use the BMW sliders at all:
                  https://www.speedengineering.de/prod...pole-position/

If I'm interpreting this right, it also looks like they have seat belt mounts for the passenger and driver side that allow the factory seat belt receiver (the one mounted to the OEM BMW rails) to be used:

Driver side

Passenger side
                  I don't think manual or electric will need a specific bracket as the mounting 4 bolts are the same between the two.

I'm only interested in using the original seat base. There plenty other companies that offer seat mounting solutions for the e46 chassis.

​​​​​As for the seat belt mounting, if the stock based it's used, then the seat belt retractor will just bolt up to the base/stock mount.
                  Last edited by ZiMMie; 12-04-2022, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Looks like those are pole position specific.
                    Yes they are pole position spec, but from what I've gathered from the mounting points, it should bolt up to the cobras as the mounting dimensions are the same.

Comment

Thanks guys..

​​​​
                      That looks so much better than the BK brackets. I do not rate the BK brackets highly after owning them. I might end up ordering a set of these and see how they compare.

Comment

I don't think manual or electric will need a specific bracket as the mounting 4 bolts are the same between the two.

I'm only interested in using the original seat base. There plenty other companies that offer seat mounting solutions for the e46 chassis.

​​​​​As for the seat belt mounting, if the stock based it's used, then the seat belt retractor will just bolt up to the base/stock mount.
                        Got it. I just went back to check the BK mounts and for some reason I thought they had two versions, power vs. manual slider mounts. I remembered incorrectly!

The one thing about the Cobras vs. the Recaros. The mounts on the Speed Engineering pieces seem like they might come up higher on the sides of the seat (the outside edge where the mounts bolt up to the seat) than on the BKs. Given how low-slung the Cobra seats are in the leg bolster area, I wonder if these mounts will interfere with the seat in any area. I've run into this issue with generic, non-seat specific mounts in other race buckets and it makes the installation a bit of a pain. Heck, my OMP seat with OMP seat brackets interfered with each other...

Horrible mock-ups below, but I see 2 potential problem areas. The vertical rise area circled in red below (blue is the rear, shouldn't be an issue):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Speed Engineering mounts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	194934

In this pic, the hole-to-hole dimensions might be longer than on the BK mounts (pictures just below the first pic). This is where I've run into interference issues with seats in the past.

Also, I wonder how high these mounts will push the seat up (the arrow in the left hand side below)? Without laying the BK mounts and the Speed Engineering mounts side-by-side, it's really hard to tell.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Speed Engineering mounts 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	194933

BK's for reference:

Click image for larger version  Name:	BK Nogaro mounts 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.8 KB ID:	194935

And Ian's seat. Not sure how much room is above the forward mounting hole and if these Speed Engineering mounts will interfere or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobra-N-20.jpg
Views:	7826
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	54833
                        Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 12-04-2022, 03:57 PM.

Comment

The one in that picture didn’t end up being the final mount design. See how it’s bolted to the top of the slider in the rear, instead of on the side, like the final version.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

How high up does the mount protrude along the seat edge on the production version? This is the bit (blue line) I'm most concerned about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ian's seat.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	194951

Comment

How high up does the mount protrude along the seat edge on the production version? This is the bit (blue line) I'm most concerned about:

You have raised some great points. I've sent out an email to speed engineering and pointed them to this thread. Let see if we can get some answers.
                              Last edited by ZiMMie; 12-04-2022, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Don't know, sadly.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X