Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Cobra Nogaro seats (uniquely street friendly fixed back bucket seat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 6'3" and I can't see the hood. Seats ride surprisingly low, but in a good way.

Drove to t-hill today for over 3 hours, the back was getting sore along with the shoulders. I stuffed my jacket around lower/mid back and it was infinitely better. When I drove to Laguna a few weeks back it was not as noticeable, but that drive was only about 1 hour for me. Need to figure out a cushion/pillow situation that works. Will try something from the house couch, I am not sure I want to splurge on the Cobra branded pump cushion for $150 at this point (saw some very similar items on Amazon for like $20).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
      I'm 6'3" and I can't see the hood. Seats ride surprisingly low, but in a good way.

Drove to t-hill today for over 3 hours, the back was getting sore along with the shoulders. I stuffed my jacket around lower/mid back and it was infinitely better. When I drove to Laguna a few weeks back it was not as noticeable, but that drive was only about 1 hour for me. Need to figure out a cushion/pillow situation that works. Will try something from the house couch, I am not sure I want to splurge on the Cobra branded pump cushion for $150 at this point (saw some very similar items on Amazon for like $20).

Could use small pieces of something like this in between the cushion and seat to add support for your back. For my short kings and queens, this’ll also work well to boost the seat bottom cushion.

Shop Airtex 2" x 22" High Density Foam Chair Pad at JOANN fabric and craft store online to stock up on the best supplies for your project. Explore the site today!
      Silver Track to Street Car Journal
      Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Have a bunch of foam and fabric from making cushions for mine if you want any. The difference in comfort between the seats as they came from Cobra and the seats with the extra back cushion is ridiculous. Can sit in them for hours without issues now.

Oh and I also ordered some ebay lumbar inflatable things to stuff into the lower back cushions I still have to make. No idea about the quality, but they were like $10 each so worth trying out.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
          Cubie - one other thing re: the seat height, have you driven the car? I like to be as low as possible and would go even lower if I could. I'm 6' even and don't see the height being an issue.

Drive it some, Heinz has similar observations as you and I believe he's come to appreciate the low height.

I don't need to tell you, but the M3 is a vastly different thing than your GT3. Even tho the seat is the same, it's definitely not an apples to apples comparison because the cars are so different. The M3 is a sedan masquerading as a sports car!
          I have yet to drive the car, BK is sending me different brackets for the driver's side, the passenger side went I quite well, it seems like the seats tilts inward toward the trans tunnel as opposed to being staight on, but I could be completely wrong.

Tried a few different things for seat cusions, including ripping the foam from my doner heated seats, but my hot wire foam cutter didn't really work at all there, need to buy a particular knife.

May just go get another soft kneeling pad as that seems to be just about the correct thickness, or may buy what was suggested previously.

Also, did any of you hear an unsettling crunching noise while torquing the seat bolts?

I stopped at 22ft lb. (just under 30nm) as it sounded as if the threaded inserts in the seat were going to break loose, I'm sure I'm just being paranoid and they are well secured.

Cobra has 45nm listed on the seats, when I bought seats for the GT3 HMS Motorsports recommended 40nm max and 35nm minimum.
          Last edited by Cubieman; 01-24-2023, 09:30 PM.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            On another somewhat unrelated note I like to reclined position of the seat but found that it sits me too low, in fact even in with the seat bolted to the top two holes I still sit down a bit too much for my liking, that is unfortunate as there really isn't a lot to do about that.

I may try shimming the rails up a bit, I'm 5'10", but I guess that's not enough, I love the seating postion of the Nogaros in the 996 GT3 but too low in the M3 for me.
            I generally like a low seat position as I'm 5'11, but my wife who is 5'4" cannot see over the dashboard with low seats. And honestly, that's the biggest reason stopping me from ordering a set of Nogaro's today. I really wish somebody would make a height-adjustable seat mount for the Nogaros (or any aftermarket seat for that matter) for the e46.
            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Tried a few different things for seat cusions, including ripping the foam from my doner heated seats, but my hot wire foam cutter didn't really work at all there, need to buy a particular knife.
              Try a bread knife from your kitchen. Sounds ridiculous, but works extremely well: https://youtu.be/xne0qjhFVNY

Also, did any of you hear an unsettling crunching noise while torquing the seat bolts?
              Yeah same here. Stopped as soon as I heard it and disassembled everything. Looked fine so reassembled and torqued through the crunching. Went all the way to the 45 Nm that was listed on the seats.

​​​​​​​Still don't know what that crunching was, but the seats are well secured. Tried ripping them out of the brackets after install and was unable to do anything. No more noises either.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The crunching noise has happened to me on OMP and Sparco seats as well on first install. Always assumed it was the nuts settling into place, and always unsettling.

liam821 have you looked at the dimensions on that other brand mentioned a couple pages back in this thread? Speed Engineering I think based in Germany. My main hesitation for not considering that brand is it wouldn't allow the seats to get low enough, but they *might* have more vertical height you're looking for. That's pure speculation on my part as I never reached out to ask. I'm currently a little fatigued by the hassles of importing parts which is also why I never pursued it further.

Edit: this post:

This is installed in my e46, but it really applies to all BMWs equally, so thought I'd post it here, as well. I am just going to start with pictures, because I know everyone is going to skip to that either way. Please read on, after, as there are a ton of very specific reason why I think this seat is THE best seat on the
                Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 01-25-2023, 03:41 AM.
                Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                  The crunching noise has happened to me on OMP and Sparco seats as well on first install. Always assumed it was the nuts settling into place, and always unsettling.

liam821 have you looked at the dimensions on that other brand mentioned a couple pages back in this thread? Speed Engineering I think based in Germany. My main hesitation for not considering that brand is it wouldn't allow the seats to get low enough, but they *might* have more vertical height you're looking for. That's pure speculation on my part as I never reached out to ask. I'm currently a little fatigued by the hassles of importing parts which is also why I never pursued it further.

Edit: this post:

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...865#post194865
                  I saw that, yes. Looks like they can mount higher, but I want something I can move up and down without having to unscrew the chair. My wife won't think unscrewing and remounting the seat before each time she wants to drive the m3 is an acceptable solution... haha!
                  E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                  Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
                    My wife won't think unscrewing and remounting the seat before each time she wants to drive the m3 is an acceptable solution... haha!
                    Ha! Seems like a perfectly viable solution 😁

Point taken.
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Cobra made 18 CSL clone Nogaros using the correct alcantara and center insert cloth. Not my cup of tea but still pretty interesting.

https://shop.cobraseats.com/collecti...-limited-stock

Also, for my short kings and queens, what did y’all do to be able to see over the steering wheel? I’m installing my seats today or tomorrow, but I have a feeling that I’ll need to raise my seat a little.
                      Last edited by SQ13; 02-06-2023, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                        Cobra made 18 CSL clone Nogaros using the correct alcantara and center insert cloth. Not my cup of tea but still pretty interesting.

https://shop.cobraseats.com/collecti...-limited-stock

Also, for my short kings and queens, what did y’all do to be able to see over the steering wheel? I’m installing my seats today or tomorrow, but I have a feeling that I’ll need to raise my seat a little.
                        Link doesn’t work for me. Could you please post a picture of them? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Link doesn’t work for me. Could you please post a picture of them? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
                            WOW! I love those! I would buy those and put my OE CSL seats in the store LOL

Comment

Damn, those CSL seats are nice! Would have bought those but got a great deal on the standard seats.

As far as seating height, I'm 5'10 and I set the seat in the upright position, I can see fine as I stuffed another bit of foam padding into the cusion but the upright postion is quite uncomfortable in my opinion.

Last night I set the seat to the reclined position, sitting in it I can't quite see the bulge on the hood, feels to low for me however I have yet to drive it.
                              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                              Instagram

Comment

I received the BK seat mounts this afternoon, and they added a second hole in the rear for height adjustment. I’m hoping it was to increase the height, and not to add an even lower position. They could’ve added a third hole on top of the existing two in the front to allow for more tilt, since there is enough space for it. I was also surprised to see that the packaging changed from the shitty cardboard + clear plastic to bubble wrap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CFA56247-6CD8-477A-A16B-5A8DF8716D4D.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	204423 Click image for larger version

Name:	909D4940-188D-4DE7-88AA-F80A1B77CB23.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	204424

Comment