Coilover Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post

You totally missed the point of my post.

The point was that none of us are using our cars at 9/10 on the road and if we are, we don't need a license as we would be putting others in danger. I understand everyone wants "the best" but sometimes the things people post on forums just gets silly. What I don't like is when "the best" equals "whatever I happen to have" which seems quite common in the M3 world.

My skin is plenty thick, but suggesting my car is somehow lesser because it doesn't meet your 'standards' is a bit lame.
    Did I miss your point? I specifically mention in the post you quoted the non limit benefits coilovers can have (as well as avoiding mentioning things like ability to deal with heat) and don't think I've once mentioned in this thread the setup I'm running on the M3 coupe. In fact, I agreed with JVITs post that said the TCKs are the best overall setup, and I'm not running them on any car.

Some parts are objectively better than others. Some installs are better than others. Some cars are tuned better than other. Some cars are cared for better than others. Some sum of those aspects means some cars are better than others.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

If anyone was planning on buying Bilsteins, ECS Tuning has then on sale today until midnight. It’s a call in/phone in sale not listed on site. I have no idea if pricing is good but just putting it out there from the email they sent.
      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

This was/is a lively thread. Cheers guys.

Comment

I'm on ohlins r&t. They are better than stock on 90% of the roads. Roads that are wavy tend to suck though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Currently running BCs. I like them for what they’re worth, good for daily driving. Good handling paired with 18x10.5 ARC-8s on twisty roads. Just my two cents.

Comment

General consensus on Koni yellow / Dinan vs. Koni yellow / Eibach? I currently run the latter with GC street plates.

Comment

I've got the TCKline SAs and they're currently set up a little stiff for the street, but that their first track day they felt really great. Super planted, easily more than capable of anything my meager driving skills can throw at it. I'm debating setting them a little softer/higher to make the car more streetable but it's not really my daily driver so it being a little harsh isn't the worst thing. But my girlfriend is not a fan.
                01 M5 Dinan S-2 ish
                03 M3 Dinan S-2 ish

Comment

Originally posted by spnsprt View Post
                  I've got the TCKline SAs and they're currently set up a little stiff for the street, but that their first track day they felt really great. Super planted, easily more than capable of anything my meager driving skills can throw at it. I'm debating setting them a little softer/higher to make the car more streetable but it's not really my daily driver so it being a little harsh isn't the worst thing. But my girlfriend is not a fan.
                  You can definitely crank up the dampers for the track and leave them soft for everything else. That’s the whole beauty of adjustable damping! Plus then you can tell your GF you spent extra $$ on adjustable dampers because you were thinking of her.
                  '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I’ll chime in...

I had Stock, then I got ST (which is probably an acronym for ShiT) and then I switched to TCK DA’s after reading @Obioban’s old reviews on the old m3 forum page and getting the same exact advice from the shop that wrenched all the big jobs on my car.

If you’re looking for budget coilovers... don’t waste your money. Leave it stock.
                    Last edited by 02_lsb; 08-08-2020, 01:07 PM.
                    Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Tones View Post
                      I'm on ohlins r&t. They are better than stock on 90% of the roads. Roads that are wavy tend to suck though.

Ohlins do not do “wavy” roads? Aren’t those came from rally?

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post

Ohlins do not do “wavy” roads? Aren’t those came from rally?
                        By wavy I mean roads that are not laid flat. As in its a straight line and the car just starts rocking back and forth till you get past that bad stretch.

But in flowy mtn roads they are so good. There is only one or two roads near me that I dislike the shocks on and I turned them softer when I know I'll be going that route and it helps.

Comment

KW Suspension Variant 2 are a great value for money road coilover.

However if money no option then go for Ohlins Road and Track.

Comment

By wavy I mean roads that are not laid flat. As in its a straight line and the car just starts rocking back and forth till you get past that bad stretch.
                            What were your spring rates? Sounds more of a front/rear ride frequency issue than damping issue if you have excessive pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post

What were your spring rates? Sounds more of a front/rear ride frequency issue than damping issue if you have excessive pitching.

What ever the springs that come with the ohlins are. I think its 450/600

Comment

What ever the springs that come with the ohlins are. I think its 450/600

If it's the BMS Mi30 kit, it's 400/630. Comes out to a 0.96 bounce frequency ratio according to FCM's spreadsheet. If you wanted to try swapping springs out, I bet it would feel a lot better with 300# springs up front.
                                '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Working...
                                X