Coilover Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

I already have turner sways. Don’t TCK come with camber plates?

Why do you say that these have better dampers than the other options?
    Even better. TCK do come with camber plates (although these can be removed from order as a line item if you have your own set, or want to use the E36 hats as Ian mentioned), but since you mentioned the DA were out of your budget and the SA are still 800-1000 more than what you can sometimes find PSS10's for on sale etc..

The Bilstein B16 Monotube damper kicks the shit out of anything KW V1/2/3. It's quite comparable to the Ohlins in design, and has better valving IMO. Great setup for the $

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

Bilstein has Z4M specific B6/HD shocks.
      Yeah, but are they any good... or are they half assed. Bilstein has a lot of half assed damper offerings out there, every for high production volume chassis.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yeah guys. So I did too much research yesterday (still hungover). After looking at every option it really does seem like FCM has the best option suspension wise. I’ll certainly be going to him for my suspension. I know I mentioned a budget earlier but I hate cutting corners. I just end up regretting the decision later and spending even more money. I’ll just wait until I’m comfortable to drop that kind of cash. The college life kills 😅

Wether I go stage 2 or 3 will probably be dependent on the feedback that the forum members that are getting stage 3 provide. For those that don’t know, stage 2 ($2500 service on top of H+R coils) gets you the custom everything. The whole package. What stage 3 ($4500 service on top of H+R coils) adds is his “KBO” or kerb blow off. Honestly I couldn’t accurately repeat what he told me about this but it sounded like good stuff. I just wish I could feel the difference between non KBO and KBO.

I spoke with Shaik for a long time yesterday and his knowledge on the whole topic was pretty impressive. I’d highly recommend giving him a call if you’re uncertain about something. He’s easy to talk to and will answer your millions of questions.
        Last edited by SteelGreyM; 09-23-2020, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Yeah, but are they any good... or are they half assed. Bilstein has a lot of half assed damper offerings out there, every for high production volume chassis.
          Who knows, the benefit they have is the ability to be rebuilt, that is why I am looking at them. They seem to work out of the box according to the EU community, but the plan is to have them valved to my setup. Down below is what I have in mind for a fast road setup. Thoughts?

The Z4M comes with the CSL rear bar and a 27mm front bar. I could upgrade the front but since I don't track the car I may be fine with the stock bars. the CSL front bar would leave me right at CSL numbers for FRC should I see the need to upgrade. Z4M and M3 bars are interchangeable.

The below numbers consider:

stock front springs
          linear TCK 500# rear springs
          Bilstein B6 (ideally re-valved by FCM)

Fronts spring rates were measured by someone in a spring tester, so they should be accurate.

Since I am fine with the stock ride height I see no detriment there, in fact, my current H&R coils are set almost at stock ride heigh values

Current RH (606mm front, 600mm rear) - 14.85in front, 14.6in rear in US Speak
          Stock RH (607mm front, 594mm rear) -

Click image for larger version  Name:	SuspensionAnalysis.PNG Views:	0 Size:	171.3 KB ID:	57606
          Last edited by maupineda; 09-23-2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

^ that certainly looks like it'll ride and handle well-- if the shocks have enough bump travel to function.
            (to be clear, I'm not saying they don't-- I'm saying I don't know. The TCK Z4M setup I installed really didn't at anything lower than ~stock ride height)

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Obioban Side question did you understand Shaiks KBO stuff? Or understand it well enough to school me on it?

Comment

Obioban Side question did you understand Shaiks KBO stuff? Or understand it well enough to school me on it?
                It's a high velocity blow off valve-- so when you hit a bump the shock just opens up and lets the spring absorb it and rebound.

Similar, but hopefully superior, to Ohlins

Originally posted by Ohlins
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DFV_fig_01_02.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	58012

Figure 1: (Compression flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the compression ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the compression ports in the DFV, increasing comfort.

Figure 2: (Rebound flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the rebound ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the rebound ports in the DFV, maintaining tyre contact with the road.

Name:	DFV_fig_03.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	58013

Figure 3: (Vehicle – no DFV) Without DFV the oil can not flow through the piston quickly enough on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, so the tyre is not able to stay in contact with the road.

Name:	DFV_fig_04.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	58014

Figure 4: (Vehicle – DFV technique) The DFV valve opens, letting the oil flow quicker through the piston on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, enabling the tyre to stay in contact with the road.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Yeah guys. So I did too much research yesterday (still hungover). After looking at every option it really does seem like FCM has the best option suspension wise. I’ll certainly be going to him for my suspension. I know I mentioned a budget earlier but I hate cutting corners. I just end up regretting the decision later and spending even more money. I’ll just wait until I’m comfortable to drop that kind of cash. The college life kills 😅

Wether I go stage 2 or 3 will probably be dependent on the feedback that the forum members that are getting stage 3 provide. For those that don’t know, stage 2 ($2500 service on top of H+R coils) gets you the custom everything. The whole package. What stage 3 ($4500 service on top of H+R coils) adds is his “KBO” or kerb blow off. Honestly I couldn’t accurately repeat what he told me about this but it sounded like good stuff. I just wish I could feel the difference between non KBO and KBO.

I spoke with Shaik for a long time yesterday and his knowledge on the whole topic was pretty impressive. I’d highly recommend giving him a call if you’re uncertain about something. He’s easy to talk to and will answer your millions of questions.
                  I spoke with him too, I forgot to ask if there is a stage1

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

I spoke with him too, I forgot to ask if there is a stage1
                    He told me he no longer offers a stage 1, just 2 and 3 .
                    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

One of you guys should start a FCM setup thread so we can hear your experiences and what options/stage you went with. Plus then I could keep track of the scattered discussions about it 😂
                      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                        One of you guys should start a FCM setup thread so we can hear your experiences and what options/stage you went with. Plus then I could keep track of the scattered discussions about it 😂
                        Just started one.
                        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Just started one.
                          I might move some of my journal to that thread 🤔

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Not a bad idea. I thought about pulling some info over too. Specifically about the KBO feature.

Let me know if you want me to add anything to that first post.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with MCS 2WNR?
                              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Ian it will be very interesting to hear your opinion as in my book you are running pretty high-end setup (ohlins) already.

Comment

Working...
                                X