No announcement yet.

Coilover Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know the spring rates for the Bilstein B16 kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

Do TCKs have the same coilover conversion problem with bump travel?
      Is there a TCK Coilover conversion they sell that works with the regular Koni shocks and struts?

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
        Does anyone have experience with MCS 2WNR?
        I have them. Setup close to flat ride via FCM (Technically Need 850 rather than 800 in the rear).

For the purposes of my use for the car they are great. I love them when in the canyons and on track. They are not as comfy as compared TCK SA (450/550) which feel like pillows by comparison, (I also have Ohlins on my E92 - not a direct comparison Which are better for street).

Have considered going with the FCM Stage 3 setup. Met with Shaikh about a month ago to discuss and it seems like a better dual duty setup.

E46 serves as my “fun” car of the two and I don’t mind the “firmer” ride,
        2006 BMW M3 / Interlagos Blue / 6SPD
        2012 BMW M3 / Santorini Blue / DCT

Comment

Originally posted by IceInMyVeins14 View Post

Is there a TCK Coilover conversion they sell that works with the regular Koni shocks and struts?
          This is what you're looking for: https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...w-e46-m3-01-up

But the last time it came up on here, people mentioned that adding that on top of regular Koni struts led to bump travel issues, like the post you quoted mentioned.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

On another topic, I'm curious why I always see TCK recommended and never hear Ground Control in the same threads. They're both Koni-based systems, what's going on beyond that?

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
              On another topic, I'm curious why I always see TCK recommended and never hear Ground Control in the same threads. They're both Koni-based systems, what's going on beyond that?
              TCK's valving is better than GC's, by a not insignificant amount.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                There was a YouTube video from throttle house showing the ground control conversion but for a non-m e46, it did seem from the look of the strut assembly the bump travel look dramatically shortened.

However, I’m looking at TCKs site and it shows they have these components for a coilover conversion:

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

TCK's valving is better than GC's, by a not insignificant amount.
                  Gotcha. So it might be all Koni on the surface, but there are significant differences under the hood. Interesting. I've never driven a TCK car to compare it to my GC E30.

Comment

I was initially wanting to buy a cheap set of coils to lower the car and have better handling but have opted to wait and buy a set of MCS 1 wnr. From the reviews they are a proper track shock while still being comfortable and compliant on the street. Just the dampers are 2700 though . A full setup with eibach springs, top plates/mounts runs about 3900. Essentially $4k in coilovers which is why I'm putting the purchase off for as long as I can haha.

Comment

Adjustable front sway bar end links a must when going aftermarket suspension? What brand is preferred?

Comment

Originally posted by SUPREM3 View Post

I have them. Setup close to flat ride via FCM (Technically Need 850 rather than 800 in the rear).

For the purposes of my use for the car they are great. I love them when in the canyons and on track. They are not as comfy as compared TCK SA (450/550) which feel like pillows by comparison, (I also have Ohlins on my E92 - not a direct comparison Which are better for street).

Have considered going with the FCM Stage 3 setup. Met with Shaikh about a month ago to discuss and it seems like a better dual duty setup.

E46 serves as my “fun” car of the two and I don’t mind the “firmer” ride,
                        I also have Ohlins on my E92 and love them. I drive my M3 mostly on the street but will start tracking it soon: should I stick with Ohlins or go to MCS2WNR? Is it worth the extra $1k+ over Ohlins?
                        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I also have Ohlins on my E92 and love them. I drive my M3 mostly on the street but will start tracking it soon: should I stick with Ohlins or go to MCS2WNR? Is it worth the extra $1k+ over Ohlins?
                          Before you change the shocks to a different company, go to an Öhlins service center and have them set up damping curve on a dyno for proper track usage (shim stack adjustment) and get different springs. I don't think there's any point to downgrade from Öhlins to anything...

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighSchoolDream View Post
                            Adjustable front sway bar end links a must when going aftermarket suspension? What brand is preferred?
                            One adjustable end link lets you dial out preload. Two adjustable end links lets you dial out preload and set the sway bar to be perpendicular to the end link.

IMO Turner's sealed adjustable are the best out there, if your sway bar is compatible with them.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

One adjustable end link lets you dial out preload. Two adjustable end links lets you dial out preload and set the sway bar to be perpendicular to the end link.

IMO Turner's sealed adjustable are the best out there, if your sway bar is compatible with them.

Are adjustable endlinks necessary if your lowered? say 13.5" ride height from wheel to fender.

Comment

Originally posted by Egone View Post

Are adjustable endlinks necessary if your lowered? say 13.5" ride height from wheel to fender.
                                So.... "it depends".

If you're willing to micro tweak your ride height until there's no preload, you don't need adjustable end links. But, that process would be a huge PITA and there's no way to do that and corner balance the car.

So, functionally you need them. Technically you don't.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X