No announcement yet.

OEM Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate comfort looks to be ~$700 shipped. Has anyone found a better deal?

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
      I'm from the ancient E30 world... what does climate comfort physically do?
      It blocks infrared without blocking visible light. End result is less heat entering the cabin through the windshield without impacting visibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Day View Post
        If you want you can check your local junkyards for e46's. Take a quick visit and check for good windshields. You'd be surprised what you find there...
        I know the junkyard has stigma attached but it can be a REAL goldmine there.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

If you want you can check your local junkyards for e46's. Take a quick visit and check for good windshields. You'd be surprised what you find there...
          I know the junkyard has stigma attached but it can be a REAL goldmine there.
          +1 to this, I assumed junkyard meant just that, and everything was actual junk. After going with a couple friends and finding some legitimately great parts I have no problem with sourcing junkyard parts again.
          E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by m3nt0s View Post

+1 to this, I assumed junkyard meant just that, and everything was actual junk. After going with a couple friends and finding some legitimately great parts I have no problem with sourcing junkyard parts again.
            I mean I wouldn’t take engine parts and stuff like that. Especially not for an M car. But I do take pigtails, working coupe window switches, OEM LED taillights, etc. I daily a regular e46 and switching to an e39. I have no problem cheaping out on those cars.

What I’m really talking about are those sweet sweet manual transmissions. Recently found a 540i at my local junkyard. After some investigative work I realized the car had EWS issues. Not even 4 hours letter you bet I walked out with the manual trans and the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

It blocks infrared without blocking visible light. End result is less heat entering the cabin through the windshield without impacting visibility.
              Interesting, that would have been great to have for the last year I spent in Pheomix! So freaking hot there.

Comment

Climate Comfort windshields were cool tech, and are a nice OEM solution but FYI modern nanoceramic films outperform them in terms of rejecting heat, and UV/infrared while doing so without blocking radar/toll pass signals (although I do believe there is a small square behind the mirror that does not have the polarization film). Such films are readily available locally and only cost $100-150 installed <1hr. Much cheaper and easier than replacing the entire windshield too. I have it on all my cars and will never not have it again.

Comment

Isn't no green strip, no climate and no rain sensor windshield part number 51318236302?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Day View Post
                    The cheapest, but they don't ship glass, maybe a good pickup if you are close

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                      I also recently installed the fully loaded ""green windscreen, green shade band, climate comfort windscreen and rain sensor" and do not notice the purplish hue at all. Makes me think it was only on early versions.
                      Hey bud, where in NY did you buy one? I’m looking for the same one for my convertible. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post

Hey bud, where in NY did you buy one? I’m looking for the same one for my convertible. Thanks.
                        I got mine from Ray Catena BMW of Westchester.

Comment

At least in TX...I put the cheapest windshield in (usually a Pilkington) and hope it lasts 1-2 years.

Or I could put OEM glass in and then hope it lasts 1-2 years.

Comment

Sorry for wall of text this is one of the few things I have some input on.
                            I replaced my glass myself, I work at a windshield replacement company. I don't know any part numbers, but I made a point to put the climate comfort glass in when I realized that was an option. I actually like the purplish tint/hue, it's subtle and helps with the sun a little bit. If you're paying out of pocket don't go OE - rather Pilkington is the OE brand(OEM?). It will be the exact same part the dealer will sell you(minus the BMW logo) but will be significantly cheaper depending on how much your local glass shop marks it up. Have your glass company buy an OE molding from the dealer. They'll probably get a better price than you. Try to wash your car in the same week you take it to your glass guy.

I remember the molding around the windshield sucked to deal with, but cutting out the windshield was very easy; the urethane is rubbery and not particularly strong. After I got the windshield out I noticed that the urethane that holds it in wasn't applied with any sort of primer from the factory, and more or less peeled off easily from the top and maybe some of the sides. I have a grey car, but depending on the color of your car(different chemical compositions in the paint - I'm thinking white cars might be worse) the factory urethane might not be holding in your windshield in particularly well in the event of a catastrophic accident, so see replacement as a good opportunity to guarantee your windshield will stay in place properly for passenger airbags to work optimally, keep unbuckled people in the car in event of accident, etc etc. I took the factory paint off the pinchweld down to bare metal on the areas that the urethane didn't stick, and reapplied windshield primer from whatever urethane adhesive system I was using. (Dow/Dupont, but some people will swear by other companies/systems)

Comment

Merely food for thought, but here in AZ, rocks in windshields are a given, especially when chip sealing is done on the roads. Effin hate it. Sucks for tar on the car as well. Therefore I've had a zero deductible for glass with State Farm for thirty plus years here. No questions asked, I call and say took a rock, glass is replaced in my garage before you know it at $0.

Comment

Call BMW with your VIN number and ask them for your specific part number.
                                2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                                2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                                2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Working...
                                X